Mr.TaterSalad

2017 NFL Draft Thread

Just now, mickeyb105 said:

Please tell me that you didn't write this POS overview?  You have much more talent than this.

lol.  i did not.  from rotoworld.

the bears got an "f" if it makes everyone feel better.

also, cbs sports liked the lions draft.  the only one ive seen.  kiper gave them a c +.  most common grade is either a c or b -.

Just now, Buddha said:

lol.  i did not.  from rotoworld.

the bears got an "f" if it makes everyone feel better.

also, cbs sports liked the lions draft.  the only one ive seen.  kiper gave them a c +.  most common grade is either a c or b -.

Kiper gave the Patriots an A.  He loses all credibility.  It's not about who the Lions took, but who he thinks they should have taken.

Just now, cruzer1 said:

Kiper gave the Patriots an A.  He loses all credibility.  It's not about who the Lions took, but who he thinks they should have taken.

they should have taken better prospects.  most people think that.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

now you sound like tp.

I'm going to take my time before I grade this draft.  Too early.  I loved the first pick, didn't like the 2nd (although I'm willing to give Quinn the benefit of the doubt on that one, a bad hamstring would cause bad times) and liked/loved the rest of the draft.  I really like Goladay and the rest of the picks.  I think our two new linebackers can effect the defense as much as Atlanta's, and that would be a huge upgrade.

Just now, cruzer1 said:

I'm going to take my time before I grade this draft.  Too early.  I loved the first pick, didn't like the 2nd (although I'm willing to give Quinn the benefit of the doubt on that one, a bad hamstring would cause bad times) and liked/loved the rest of the draft.  I really like Goladay and the rest of the picks.  I think our two new linebackers can effect the defense as much as Atlanta's, and that would be a huge upgrade.

fair enough.

i hope youre right.

3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

they should have taken better prospects.  most people think that.

Look at the prospects the Pats took.  All 4 of them.  They don't deserve an A.  They don't deserve to call the players they traded the picks for (Cooks, Ealy, etc.) as part of this draft class.  That team isn't getting any younger, but they are talented.  I don't think they put themselves in good shape cap wise with all of those moves.  They will thin out as an organization.

Nobody has much of an idea about 95% of these guys. The Lions didn't do anything laughable like the Bears and didn't do anything potentially awesome like the 49ers. Only time will shed light.

Quinn picked Davis in Round 1 ahead of DL including Charles Harris, Takkarist McKinley, and Taco Charlton, each of whom had some question marks based on the fact that pass rushers get over-drafted. I think Quinn showed great discipline in picking Jarrad Davis, who will likely be a mainstay of the defense for the next 5 years, at least.

Who was on the board at DL/DE in Round 2 when Tabor was picked? Nobody who has greater potential than Tabor to force a turnover or make a stop on 3rd down. 

I think people are upset that Quinn didn't end up with names that were at the top of the mock draft lists. But he was focused on very specific needs, and - just like last year - ended up with at least six players in the draft (possibly eight) who will suit up this year.

If we keep from judging the players (who have yet to suit up), and just judge Quinn's approach to the draft and team building, I think there is reason for significant optimism. He is disciplined, he knows what he needs, and he finds versatile players who love football.

1 minute ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Nobody has much of an idea about 95% of these guys. The Lions didn't do anything laughable like the Bears and didn't do anything potentially awesome like the 49ers. Only time will shed light.

I don't like what the 49ers did so much.  

Amazing to me the ability to judge draft choices without seeing the players , without EVER playing the game , coaching the game or  earning a penny for opinions, yet a caustic comment or witty put down and call yourself an "Expert"...classic  CRAP !    You can't fill all the needs of this team in one off-season , you fill the best you can and go from there !

I think the Lions will get more pressure on the QB's with better coverage, and better play from the LB's.

46 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I don't like what the 49ers did so much.  

They traded down and got 2 players they really wanted. Foster is a risk but as I said, *potentially* a real home run, more than any other team I think.

Just now, Who is the Drizzle? said:

There goes their super bowl.

Like everybody else, they'll be watching the Lions.

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

It's not about who the Lions took, but who he thinks they should have taken.

That is pretty much every draft grading "expert".

Just now, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I don't know, hard to win a super bowl when walterfootball gives you a 'C' for your draft.

What did they give the Falcons last year?  I don't care about anybody's grades now.  That is stupid.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

Overview: While the Lions’ first-rounder addressed a need and put a talented player in Detroit, Davis plays a low-value NFL position as an off-ball linebacker and battled a multitude of college injuries. Sophomore GM Bob Quinn invested his second-round pick on athletically-challenged Tabor, who ran a 4.72 forty at his Pro Day and may struggle to transition his playmaking-based game into the pros, where everything moves so much faster. In a third-round trade with the Patriots, the Lions turned pick No. 85 into Nos. 96 (Golladay) and 124 (Reeves-Maybin). I was genuinely stunned project receiver Golladay went so early in the draft, and Reeves-Maybin barely played football last season. Roberts is another probable wasted pick, lacking both NFL-level receiving and blocking skills. Agnew, Ledbetter, and O’Connor were low-floor, low-ceiling late-rounders. Kaaya’s book smarts are the best thing he has going for him. If I were a Lions fan, I would be very disappointed they didn’t place more emphasis on pass rush in a draft with so many quality rushers. And I would be very disappointed with this haul as a whole.

Grade: D+

Anyone who claims someone is a bad pick based on combine results can't be taken seriously.  

Lucky that guy ain't a Lions fan. I'm happy. 

1 minute ago, cruzer1 said:

What did they give the Falcons last year?  I don't care about anybody's grades now.  That is stupid.

I kid.

I don't want to sound too positive, but I thought Riddick and Abdullah were outstanding those first couple weeks when they were healthy. Injury issues are obviously a large issue, so they certainly need depth, but I don't mind them letting it ride one more year there.

If everything goes well, maybe they address DE/DT, RB, WR next year and have a complete team heading into 2018. I don't think that was possible this season, so no reason to reach or trade up when you can build depth more efficiently elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

1) complain about lions lack of running game all year.

2) watch lions draft no running backs in a deep class.

3) say the lions had no need to draft any becauae the lions' rbs are awesome!

ok homer.

Our number one back was injured.  

Bring on the "made of glass" comments. Time will tell. But you have to give Ameer another year.  Wasting a pick on a running back would have smelled of Millen. 

3 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I kid.

I don't want to sound too positive, but I thought Riddick and Abdullah were outstanding those first couple weeks when they were healthy. Injury issues are obviously a large issue, so they certainly need depth, but I don't mind them letting it ride one more year there.

If everything goes well, maybe they address DE/DT, RB, WR next year and have a complete team heading into 2018. I don't think that was possible this season, so no reason to reach or trade up when you can build depth more efficiently elsewhere.

I think they have a good dline,  They were affected by the terrible coverage last year.  They need Ansah to be healthy, and should be solid.  I don't know what their needs will be next year, we'll know more after this year starts.  It will be tougher to draft from #32 than #21.