Mr.TaterSalad

2017 NFL Draft Thread

1 minute ago, holygoat said:

CBS Sports says that speed is main concern. I have no idea who he is, so I have no idea whom to believe, lol.

I guess it still happens with some lesser known types. Kiper I believe was saying he needs to catch with his hands, then a sportswriter on twitter says his strength is his ability to catch with his hands.

While Golladay has good hands and can make spectacular circus catches, he lacks the necessary separation skills to earn significant playing time early in his NFL career. In addition, he struggles to use his physical tools both during separation and at the catch point. However, since he already possesses these tools, he can be considered a player with a high ceiling and the question remains whether one day he can develop into a player that takes full advantage of his tangible skills.

Golladay was a productive college receiver who possesses good size, but his lack of quickness and speed is a concern. He could be a solid possession receiver who lines up in the slot, and next-level coaches will love his blocking.

There was a lot of buzz about them liking Golladay, not surprised. They obviously need some size at WR, hard to say if he's the answer. I like the trade down at least though. 

Tabor was a great snag IMO. He could be our Josh Norman. Our DBs always struggle to create turnovers, big need IMO. Nobody caught balls on this guy in college. 

27 minutes ago, holygoat said:

CBS Sports says that speed is main concern. I have no idea who he is, so I have no idea whom to believe, lol.

He ran a 4.5 flat at 6'4 218. He's a big deep threat and RZ target We have plenty of guys for the quick, short stuff. I hope they bring back Boldin so he can develop a little. 

1 minute ago, Nastradamus said:

He ran a 4.5 flat at 6'4 218. He's a big deep threat and RZ target We have plenty of guys for the quick, short stuff. I hope they bring back Boldin so he can develop a little. 

not a deep threat if he cant get off the line.  sounds like he ran well without pads but not during the game.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

lewis is small and doesnt have top end speed.  3rd rounder.

PFF has Lewis I believe 26th overall. Matt Miller said he allowed the least separation of any CB he watched on tape this year. Then he went 3rd round with a DV situation hanging over him. I'll leave it at that I guess. 

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

not a deep threat if he cant get off the line.  sounds like he ran well without pads but not during the game.

Could be, he was pretty damn productive though. I'm not saying he's not raw fwiw. I figured they'd look for this type of WR, but no idea if Golladay is the answer. He's not a guy I was screaming for or anything. 

I don't see a lot of real downside to the Golladay pick... he's a larger target with a reputation for catching (ie. not dropping) balls, which has been a perpetual achilles heel for the Lions for years. At a minimum, he looks like someone that can compete in the NFL.

I guess what remains to be seen is how high is ceiling is... I suspect Quinn thinks he's a high-reward guy.

Quinn still plugging away... not sure I would have selected as he did on Day 2, but I can at least see the logic in what he is doing.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Could be, he was pretty damn productive though. I'm not saying he's not raw fwiw. I figured they'd look for this type of WR, but no idea if Golladay is the answer. He's not a guy I was screaming for or anything. 

reach pick.

53 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

PFF has Lewis I believe 26th overall. Matt Miller said he allowed the least separation of any CB he watched on tape this year. Then he went 3rd round with a DV situation hanging over him. I'll leave it at that I guess. 

pff is rating college production and not how he'll be in the pros.

lewis has the upside of a good nickel corner.  thats fine.  but theres a reason all the big corners went before him (including tabor).  receivers in the nfl are big and little guys like lewis will struggle against them.

Goladay has good long speed.  Not a quick twitch guy.  He'll likely line up outside only imo.  I don't think they have much room left for Boldin.

4 hours ago, holygoat said:

If the Lions got a reliable possession receiver in the 3rd, I'm cool with that. 

He's not that.  He's more of a downfield threat.  He's really raw, will take a while to get him up to speed.  I think he will be outside.  He is similar to Willie Green.

With us getting Goladay it feels like Ebron is going to acquire more of Boldin's role. I wonder if we will trade up for Butt to make the move official.

3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

He's not that.  He's more of a downfield threat.  He's really raw, will take a while to get him up to speed.  I think he will be outside.  He is similar to Willie Green.

I am not a fan of these type of receivers.   Sounds like a poor mans Roy Williams, and the real thing wasn't that good to begin with. 

Day 3 should be interesting.  Would still like to see a RB & more help on the DL. Donnel Pumphrey would be nice in the 4th.

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

pff is rating college production and not how he'll be in the pros.

lewis has the upside of a good nickel corner.  thats fine.  but theres a reason all the big corners went before him (including tabor).  receivers in the nfl are big and little guys like lewis will struggle against them.

yup. I suppose part of the time lack of separation is enough to inhibit a throw, but so not much against an experienced QB/receiver pair - e.g. a Stafford/Johnson.

3 hours ago, Hart said:

I am not a fan of these type of receivers.   Sounds like a poor mans Roy Williams, and the real thing wasn't that good to begin with. 

he would be a really really poor man's roy williams.

13 hours ago, Buddha said:

i'd rather have jeremy clark or channing stribling.

Strib is going to make a nice value pickup for someone.  Clark will be one of the most coveted UDFAs if nobody gambles up in the 6th or 7th.

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

Day 3 should be interesting.  Would still like to see a RB & more help on the DL. Donnel Pumphrey would be nice in the 4th.

pumphrey seema redundant to abdullah.  little guys who run fast.

lions need a bruiser back like perine.  connor would have been nice too.

12 hours ago, NYLion said:

Seems like the Lions made a trade with New England.  I really dislike trade downs at this portion of the draft.

Why?  A good GM can really draft for value here and save a team money.