Mr.TaterSalad

2017 NFL Draft Thread

283 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

Robinson must have had a couple of brutal games to end the season, well no shock given how bad our run D was against Green Bay and Seattle. He was grading out pretty well before that. Hopefully he just hit a rookie wall. I liked what I saw earlier in the year as far as just being one of those super strong guys who can hold up to a double team and let his teammates make plays. Obviously, no one on the d-line was doing that the last two games though.

It would be nice to get a more disruptive pass rushing DT to put next to him. That could also take some of the pressure off the DEs. If you have a healthy Ansah and Hyder as a situational pass rusher, maybe you can get by with a veteran run stopping DE if you pick up a DT who can pressure the QB somehow.

Rookies typically struggle to grade well in analytics, due to the little things they don't understand and good habits they haven't yet developed, etc. I wouldn't be concerned. Definitely need a DT or 2 who can pass rush

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

This is looking like a very weak draft for DT's.  I would move Soloman Thomas from Stanford to DT, but he'd have to gain some weight.  Problem with the Stanford kids is that they graduate late and are not available for the ota's.

Yah, Ideally we'd have DT addressed by draft time, with maybe depth to add. A Chris Womrley in the 2nd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Another thing worth discussing... who will Quinn bring in as free agents this year?

I understand (via http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/detroit-lions/) that the Lions have about $40 mil in cap space. Some of that will go to re-signing existing players but Quinn will likely let someone like Boldin go. Does he go after someone like Pierre Garçon, who had a pretty nice season with Washington? Or even DeSean Jackson? It looks like both are UFA.

Are there RBs that could be productive and reasonably priced? Defensive help?

Fun topic for sure. If I had to guess

- At least one of Warford/Reiff is re-signed. Throw in a Geoff Schwartz type signing. 

- Re-sign Wilson mos likely, add a top 3(on your depth chart) CB in the 3-7 mil range. 

- Add 3 or 4 DL, Probably 2 cheap ones, a 2-4 mil type and a 6-8 mil type. Domonique Easley, Nick Fairley, Sylvester Williams, Datone Jones etc. are about the range I'm expecting. I love Nick Perry but he may be this year's Olivier Vernon. A Sheldon Richardson trade intrigues me as well. 

- WR and TE - I'd guess we look mostly to the scrap heap here, but we do need additions. Going bigger and adding a Jackson type could be interesting. 

- No idea what we do at LB. Could sign Hightower or Zach Brown. Could go for more of a depth approach. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Yah, Ideally we'd have DT addressed by draft time, with maybe depth to add. A Chris Womrley in the 2nd

Wormley isn't that kind of player.  He's a 3-4 DE

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Wormley isn't that kind of player.  He's a 3-4 DE

I think his best use is a 4-3 as a run stopping LDE and a pass rushing DT. Yes, he can play 3-4 DE as well though. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Another thing worth discussing... who will Quinn bring in as free agents this year?

I understand (via http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/detroit-lions/) that the Lions have about $40 mil in cap space. Some of that will go to re-signing existing players but Quinn will likely let someone like Boldin go. Does he go after someone like Pierre Garçon, who had a pretty nice season with Washington? Or even DeSean Jackson? It looks like both are UFA.

Are there RBs that could be productive and reasonably priced? Defensive help?

Desean jackson would be nice but ia likely to be too expensive.  Would quinn add two overpriced wrs in free agency back to back?  Doubtful.

Lots of good LBs and CBs in free agency this year.

Draft bpa in round one.  Rebuild the dline and add speed in other rounds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really want a DE in the first round.  It'd be nice if somebody like Solomon Thomas dropped to us but I'd take a Taco Charlton.   I too would like to find speed or playmakers in the later rounds, not that Tyreke Hill's grow on trees but maybe find somebody like that in the 3rd or 4th round.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Desean jackson would be nice but ia likely to be too expensive.  Would quinn add two overpriced wrs in free agency back to back?  Doubtful.

Lots of good LBs and CBs in free agency this year.

Draft bpa in round one.  Rebuild the dline and add speed in other rounds.

I don't expect he will either but I think he should try. He may not bring Boldin back (he may also decide not to pick up Ebron's option after next season), and they don't have any other talent at WR behind Jones and Tate. And even if they do draft another WR, and get it right, that player almost certainly won't contribute significantly next season. If Jones and Tate continue to be their only options, the offense can say goodnight again next year, since Jones is a #2 and Tate is a slot. Jackson is a bit of a head case, but he led the league in YPC and would take a ton of pressure off of the running game. Even Ezekiel Elliott couldn't have rushed for more than 900 yards on the Lions' offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

I don't expect he will either but I think he should try. He may not bring Boldin back (he may also decide not to pick up Ebron's option after next season), and they don't have any other talent at WR behind Jones and Tate. And even if they do draft another WR, and get it right, that player almost certainly won't contribute significantly next season. If Jones and Tate continue to be their only options, the offense can say goodnight again next year, since Jones is a #2 and Tate is a slot. Jackson is a bit of a head case, but he led the league in YPC and would take a ton of pressure off of the running game. Even Ezekiel Elliott couldn't have rushed for more than 900 yards on the Lions' offense.

I'd say best case for a veteran speed guy is Torrey Smith or Ted Ginn jr. Something like that. I'm not sure spending big on an aging speed receiver is too smart. If we're getting a ten million dollar a year free agent I'd prefer its on defense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Joe Mixon would be a great fit here on talent........

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2017 at 6:06 PM, Jason_R said:

Another thing worth discussing... who will Quinn bring in as free agents this year?

I understand (via http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/detroit-lions/) that the Lions have about $40 mil in cap space. Some of that will go to re-signing existing players but Quinn will likely let someone like Boldin go. Does he go after someone like Pierre Garçon, who had a pretty nice season with Washington? Or even DeSean Jackson? It looks like both are UFA.

Are there RBs that could be productive and reasonably priced? Defensive help?

LaVeon Bell is a FA, but I'm sure the Steelers will re-sign him.  Calais Campbell may be available.  I'd like to see Quinn take a look at Terrelle Pryor instead of drafting a WR.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I'd say best case for a veteran speed guy is Torrey Smith or Ted Ginn jr. Something like that. I'm not sure spending big on an aging speed receiver is too smart. If we're getting a ten million dollar a year free agent I'd prefer its on defense. 

With the caveat that I'm 90% making conversation and only 10% serious, Jackson's current contract that is ending doesn't seem too bad: 3/$24 mil, with $16 mil guaranteed. (Same annual value as Marvin Jones, just that Jones had less guaranteed and two more years.) And they have $40 million in cap space to play with for next year.

He was one of the top deep threats in the NFL last year. Maybe he falls off a cliff soon but he seems to be at the top of his game (though I seem to recall he had a shoulder injury that caused him to miss time last season).

Anyway, I'm mostly just trying to think about what player or two could the team sign that would have the effect that the defensive signings had for the NY Giants last year, turning a mediocre unit into a dominant one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

With the caveat that I'm 90% making conversation and only 10% serious, Jackson's current contract that is ending doesn't seem too bad: 3/$24 mil, with $16 mil guaranteed. (Same annual value as Marvin Jones, just that Jones had less guaranteed and two more years.) And they have $40 million in cap space to play with for next year.

He was one of the top deep threats in the NFL last year. Maybe he falls off a cliff soon but he seems to be at the top of his game (though I seem to recall he had a shoulder injury that caused him to miss time last season).

Anyway, I'm mostly just trying to think about what player or two could the team sign that would have the effect that the defensive signings had for the NY Giants last year, turning a mediocre unit into a dominant one.

Don't get me wrong, its a fun idea. History does suggest building one dominant unit is the best path to success

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, djhutch said:

LaVeon Bell is a FA, but I'm sure the Steelers will re-sign him.  Calais Campbell may be available.  I'd like to see Quinn take a look at Terrelle Pryor instead of drafting a WR.

He would be my move if he hit the open market. Screw it.  The Browns have too much cap space to lose Pryor I think. Campbell would be awesome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2017 at 3:35 PM, cruzer1 said:

This is looking like a very weak draft for DT's.  I would move Soloman Thomas from Stanford to DT, but he'd have to gain some weight.  Problem with the Stanford kids is that they graduate late and are not available for the ota's.

Richard Sherman seems alright.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2017 at 6:06 PM, Jason_R said:

Another thing worth discussing... who will Quinn bring in as free agents this year?

I understand (via http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/detroit-lions/) that the Lions have about $40 mil in cap space. Some of that will go to re-signing existing players but Quinn will likely let someone like Boldin go. Does he go after someone like Pierre Garçon, who had a pretty nice season with Washington? Or even DeSean Jackson? It looks like both are UFA.

Are there RBs that could be productive and reasonably priced? Defensive help?

40 million doesn't count Stafford 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 million doesn't count Stafford 

Yes it does. He's under contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought it was for 2018. My bad.  Carry on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I thought it was for 2018. My bad.  Carry on.

Over the Cap estimates the team will have $120 million in cap space for 2018. There will be plenty of money for Stafford.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40 mil plus we probably cut Ngata and Whitehead to save 9 more. I think we can find a better DT and LB for 9 mil myself. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

40 mil plus we probably cut Ngata and Whitehead to save 9 more. I think we can find a better DT and LB for 9 mil myself. 

Do you roll with Levy again?  Rumor is he "needs" another knee surgery and if he gets injured his contract is guaranteed.  I know Whitehead sucks, but someone has to play linebacker and Levy is finished, IMO.  I would cut Levy and roll with Whitehead, sign a free agent (or five) and see how the draft shakes out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Do you roll with Levy again?  Rumor is he "needs" another knee surgery and if he gets injured his contract is guaranteed.  I know Whitehead sucks, but someone has to play linebacker and Levy is finished, IMO.  I would cut Levy and roll with Whitehead, sign a free agent (or five) and see how the draft shakes out.

Is that rumor about Levy printed anywhere? Last I read was from Quinn's press conference where he said he thought Levy was going to be fully healthy next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Buddha said:

Do you roll with Levy again?  Rumor is he "needs" another knee surgery and if he gets injured his contract is guaranteed.  I know Whitehead sucks, but someone has to play linebacker and Levy is finished, IMO.  I would cut Levy and roll with Whitehead, sign a free agent (or five) and see how the draft shakes out.

If they are worried about his contract becoming guaranteed its one thing but you don't save much by cutting him. Regardless of Levy, Whitehead needs to go IMO. He's not above anyhting you can sign for vet min. Even bostic is better

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would save 1 million by cutting Levy, so there is no way I would do that right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now