Mr.TaterSalad

2017 NFL Draft Thread

14 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Yeah, they gave up a lot of weak catches.  They actually have decent players on the D-line.  I really like Armonty Bryant.

No, they don't. They probably have the least talented DL and overall front 7 in the NFL. Jesus Christ man

12 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Good point. Looking back at their drafts, they've taken two offensive players in the first round since taking Rashard Mendenhall with pick 23 in 2008 - one G (David DeCastro) and one C (Maurkice Pouncey).

Yup, you see teams like the Seahawks and Packers do this as well. If you are looking for WRs other than a true #1, that seems to be the way to go 

52 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Yup, you see teams like the Seahawks and Packers do this as well. If you are looking for WRs other than a true #1, that seems to be the way to go 

I think the argument is something like this: The NFL rules are geared to favor the offense, therefore a marginal offensive player looks more like a good offensive player, whereas a marginal defensive player looks more like an abysmal defensive player.

That said, I still think the lions need someone with size/speed or size/route-running to play outside. They sorely missed this, and unfortunately a lot of those guys seem to go in round 1 or 2. The rest of the draft can be defense. 

Right now one of Reuben Foster (ILB - Alabama), Raekwon McMillan (ILB - Ohio State), Tim Williams (OLB - Alabama), Zach Cunningham (OLB - Vanderbilt) or Jabril Peppers (assuming he were used at LB) would be my tops for the LB position. 

1 hour ago, hardyaf said:

I think the argument is something like this: The NFL rules are geared to favor the offense, therefore a marginal offensive player looks more like a good offensive player, whereas a marginal defensive player looks more like an abysmal defensive player.

That said, I still think the lions need someone with size/speed or size/route-running to play outside. They sorely missed this, and unfortunately a lot of those guys seem to go in round 1 or 2. The rest of the draft can be defense. 

I'm not going to lose my mind or anything if we draft a WR early, that's for sure. Its just not what I would do. Ross and Davis do intrigue me quite a bit though, so it does depend on how your board falls.

3 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Right now one of Reuben Foster (ILB - Alabama), Raekwon McMillan (ILB - Ohio State), Tim Williams (OLB - Alabama), Zach Cunningham (OLB - Vanderbilt) or Jabril Peppers (assuming he were used at LB) would be my tops for the LB position. 

Foster's top 5 for a lot of draft guys, but yah I'd kill to have him. Cunningham is underrated and would be a great get. I still don't know what to think of Peppers. 

12 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Foster's top 5 for a lot of draft guys, but yah I'd kill to have him. Cunningham is underrated and would be a great get. I still don't know what to think of Peppers. 

Me either on Peppers. I don't know if he is playing in the box, going to get converted to a true safety or going to transition to playing as a straight up LB.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Me either on Peppers. I don't know if he is playing in the box, going to get converted to a true safety or going to transition to playing as a straight up LB.

His skill set seems like a really nice set for a 3-4 defense IMO. Talented, but he probably winds up out of place here.

Lions final PFF rankings, as a way to look at draft rankings. Typically you want a starter to be at least a 70 and the best player at a given position is going to be in the low 90s, all on a 100 scale, just for some reference. (Yes I realize that some or all of you may dislike PFF as a source)

QB - Stafford 85

RB - Riddick 77, Zenner 64, Abdullah 75, Washington 56

WR - Jones - 75, Tate 74, Boldin 70

TE - Ebron - 51

OT - Decker - 82, Reiff 67, Robinson 47

OG - Tomlinson - 50, Warford 82, Glasgow 42

C - Swanson 82

DE - Ansah 75, Hyder 78

DT - Ngata 48, Robinson 53

OLB - Bynes 59 , Levy 77

MLB - Whitehead - 38

S - Quin 82, Wilson 83, Bush 72 , KIlebrew 55]

CB - Slay 83, Lawson 77, Diggs 50

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

Lions final PFF rankings, as a way to look at draft rankings. Typically you want a starter to be at least a 70 and the best player at a given position is going to be in the low 90s, all on a 100 scale, just for some reference. (Yes I realize that some or all of you may dislike PFF as a source)

QB - Stafford 85

TE - Ebron - 51

C - Swanson 82

DE - Ansah 75, Hyder 78

OLB - Bynes 59 , Levy 77

MLB - Whitehead - 38

Glad to have PPF conformation that Ebron sucks. Also, anyone who still thinks Whitehead is "serviceable" as a starter on this defense, between this and watching his play this season (especially in coverage over the middle), should prove he is not indeed "serviceable". Count me in as one of the people who at one time thought that about Whitehead too. The guy might not be so bad as a depth piece, but he definitely shouldn't be starting on this defense next season.

49 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Glad to have PPF conformation that Ebron sucks. Also, anyone who still thinks Whitehead is "serviceable" as a starter on this defense, between this and watching his play this season (especially in coverage over the middle), should prove he is not indeed "serviceable". Count me in as one of the people who at one time thought that about Whitehead too. The guy might not be so bad as a depth piece, but he definitely shouldn't be starting on this defense next season.

Yup, he's a key piece to replace. 

2 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

Peppers is a Miles Killibrew, or whatever a good version of that position is. S/LB

Peppers could probably cover a TE

There is multiple ways to build a championship team.  Everybody has a different opinion.  The one constant is find a quarterback first.  The BPA approach is cliche and worn out but it is really the best way to draft, even though every team is going to claim they got the best player on their board whether it is true or not so you really never know if your team drafts that way.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

QB - Stafford 85

TE - Ebron - 51

C - Swanson 82

DE - Ansah 75, Hyder 78

OLB - Bynes 59 , Levy 77

MLB - Whitehead - 38

Is that overall season numbers or one week numbers?

QB - Stafford 85

TE - Ebron - 51

C - Swanson 82

DE - Ansah 75, Hyder 78

OLB - Bynes 59 , Levy 77

MLB - Whitehead - 38

The middle of the defense rated out as awful. No surprise. I think Quinn will spend three picks on DL and two on LB.

35 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

The middle of the defense rated out as awful. No surprise. I think Quinn will spend three picks on DL and two on LB.

Right there with ya

Robinson must have had a couple of brutal games to end the season, well no shock given how bad our run D was against Green Bay and Seattle. He was grading out pretty well before that. Hopefully he just hit a rookie wall. I liked what I saw earlier in the year as far as just being one of those super strong guys who can hold up to a double team and let his teammates make plays. Obviously, no one on the d-line was doing that the last two games though.

It would be nice to get a more disruptive pass rushing DT to put next to him. That could also take some of the pressure off the DEs. If you have a healthy Ansah and Hyder as a situational pass rusher, maybe you can get by with a veteran run stopping DE if you pick up a DT who can pressure the QB somehow.

This is looking like a very weak draft for DT's.  I would move Soloman Thomas from Stanford to DT, but he'd have to gain some weight.  Problem with the Stanford kids is that they graduate late and are not available for the ota's.

QB - Stafford 85

TE - Ebron - 51

C - Swanson 82

DE - Ansah 75, Hyder 78

OLB - Bynes 59 , Levy 77

MLB - Whitehead - 38

Another thing worth discussing... who will Quinn bring in as free agents this year?

I understand (via http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/detroit-lions/) that the Lions have about $40 mil in cap space. Some of that will go to re-signing existing players but Quinn will likely let someone like Boldin go. Does he go after someone like Pierre Garçon, who had a pretty nice season with Washington? Or even DeSean Jackson? It looks like both are UFA.

Are there RBs that could be productive and reasonably priced? Defensive help?