Mr.TaterSalad

2017 NFL Draft Thread

283 posts in this topic

Current draft order: #21

Current need for every team via NFL.com

21. Detroit Lions 
2016 record: 9-7 (.475) 
Top needs: Pass rusher, CB, LB 
Analysis: Most of the Lions' top needs rest on the defensive side of the ball. Finding more pass rush from a defensive end or penetrating DT is a priority. The Lions also need a three-down LB who can cover in space. Adding competition at CB could be a Day 2 or 3 priority.

They need Playmakers on offense.  This is that kind of draft

Not to worry...the Lions Draft War Room has got this under control

C1ns5m4WgAAgtO0.jpg

Bob:  "Bill, can I come home"

Bill:  "Just do what the old lady says, you'll be fine"

Bob: "Which one?"

images.jpg710x380-20140515-draft-room--nfl_large_5

20 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

You'd pick playmakers over a linebacker who could cover in space or a corner? I certainly wouldn't given how we couldn't cover a tight end to save our lives. The Mayhew era ended for a reason, trying to pick weapons all the time with high round picks doesn't work out.

I'd like to see a defense-heavy draft. If a play-making receiver or RB falls to them that's too good to pass up, great, but concentrate on the D. 

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

You'd pick playmakers over a linebacker who could cover in space or a corner? I certainly wouldn't given how we couldn't cover a tight end to save our lives. The Mayhew era ended for a reason, trying to pick weapons all the time with high round picks doesn't work out.

The Lions can't score unless they are close to the goal line.  They need at least 10 plays to score.  Not making turnovers is a problem with the defense and they can't score either 

The only offensive player I'd consider taking in Round 1 is Dalvin Cook.  2016 proved 2 RBs isn't enough in today's NFL.  Other than that, I'd build the lines & find a LB.

Here's my not enough thought into it attempt to rate the Lions need by position:

Offense:

QB: None

RB: Low - If they could get a big playmaker here (say Cook falls in the draft) sure, but otherwise you just hope Abdullah is healthy.

WR: Medium - I'm assuming Boldin is done, so even if you like Jones/Tate that leaves them with 2 legit WRs. TJ Jones? Jace Billingsley? They could really use someone with the ability to make plays out of the slot.

TE: Low - They're not going to give up on Ebron whether they should or not. I'd prefer just getting a steady veteran to back him up as opposed to picking another one. I mean, if you can get Jake **** in the 6th round due to his injury, sure, but otherwise...

OT: Low to Medium - Depends on if they plan on keeping Reiff. Decker really surprised me with how well he did as a rookie. Good pick.

OG: High - I hope they bring Warford back, but even if they do, I really don't want to go into next year with Tomlinson or Glasgow at LG. Still, I would prefer to sign a veteran here as well. They have quite a few young linemen.

C: None - Swanson looked much improved and Glasgow as backup is fine.

DE: High - Ansah should rebound and Hyder is good situationally, they but they have nothing else. Taylor is awful and has to go, so that leaves Zettel and ???

DT: Medium - I liked Robinson as a rookie but Ngata is done and they have nothing else. They could probably get by with Robinson and a veteran or two though.

LB: High - Bynes is fine, but you can't count on Levy and Whitehead sucked this year. An athletic playmaking LBer might be my #1 need for this team.

CB: Low - Yeah, here's a curveball. I know most people are worried about this, but imo Slay is great and Lawson was OK. Diggs sucked so a slot corner would be good, but less important than the other spots to me. Most of the pass defense problems seemed like linebackers and zero pass rush to me.

S: Medium - Quin is getting up there in age and if they want to play more of a hybrid defense more talent at this position is always a plus.

K: None

P: None

So I guess I'm thinking DE, LB, OG, WR, DB roughly in that order.

10 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

The strength of this draft is edge rushers and CBs. Solid RB draft, but the important one are gone by 21

9 hours ago, holygoat said:

I'd like to see a defense-heavy draft. If a play-making receiver or RB falls to them that's too good to pass up, great, but concentrate on the D. 

I still say DL with the first 3 picks. Make a commitment

1 hour ago, pyrotigers said:

Here's my not enough thought into it attempt to rate the Lions need by position:

Offense:

QB: None

RB: Low - If they could get a big playmaker here (say Cook falls in the draft) sure, but otherwise you just hope Abdullah is healthy.

WR: Medium - I'm assuming Boldin is done, so even if you like Jones/Tate that leaves them with 2 legit WRs. TJ Jones? Jace Billingsley? They could really use someone with the ability to make plays out of the slot.

TE: Low - They're not going to give up on Ebron whether they should or not. I'd prefer just getting a steady veteran to back him up as opposed to picking another one. I mean, if you can get Jake **** in the 6th round due to his injury, sure, but otherwise...

OT: Low to Medium - Depends on if they plan on keeping Reiff. Decker really surprised me with how well he did as a rookie. Good pick.

OG: High - I hope they bring Warford back, but even if they do, I really don't want to go into next year with Tomlinson or Glasgow at LG. Still, I would prefer to sign a veteran here as well. They have quite a few young linemen.

C: None - Swanson looked much improved and Glasgow as backup is fine.

DE: High - Ansah should rebound and Hyder is good situationally, they but they have nothing else. Taylor is awful and has to go, so that leaves Zettel and ???

DT: Medium - I liked Robinson as a rookie but Ngata is done and they have nothing else. They could probably get by with Robinson and a veteran or two though.

LB: High - Bynes is fine, but you can't count on Levy and Whitehead sucked this year. An athletic playmaking LBer might be my #1 need for this team.

CB: Low - Yeah, here's a curveball. I know most people are worried about this, but imo Slay is great and Lawson was OK. Diggs sucked so a slot corner would be good, but less important than the other spots to me. Most of the pass defense problems seemed like linebackers and zero pass rush to me.

S: Medium - Quin is getting up there in age and if they want to play more of a hybrid defense more talent at this position is always a plus.

K: None

P: None

So I guess I'm thinking DE, LB, OG, WR, DB roughly in that order.

Pretty solid except DT is our #1 need to me.

Outside or Inside LB are top needs to me. We can't cover anyone in space and get chewed up over the middle of the field at times. This seemed especially true when trying to cover the Tight End position. Even if we only allowed 8 rushing TD's, we did allow close to 4.5/ypc against the run and could use someone who could plug the middle of the field which a LB covering gaps could help. I would draft a LB assuming the talent is there at #21, but could really justifying going anywhere at DE, DT and CB too.

15 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Outside or Inside LB are top needs to me. We can't cover anyone in space and get chewed up over the middle of the field at times. This seemed especially true when trying to cover the Tight End position. Even if we only allowed 8 rushing TD's, we did allow close to 4.5/ypc against the run and could use someone who could plug the middle of the field which a LB covering gaps could help. I would draft a LB assuming the talent is there at #21, but could really justifying going anywhere at DE, DT and CB too.

I think the line has to be the foundation on both sides. LB is a secondary position, and they will struggle if the DL can't protect them

I need me some Demarcus Walker in round 1. Malik Mcdowell, Charles Harris and Taco are intriguing as well. If you want a LB, I am a big fan of Cunningham. 

The Lions can't go into next season without addressing DL and LB. Both. One but not the other will just be another wasted season. This offense can score enough to win games if the defense could just make an occasional stop.

11 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

With speed.

Priority to me:

1) Pass rusher (DE or DT, don't really care)

2) CB either shut down or ball hawk

3) WR (ugg) with size who can legitimately play outside letting Tate move to the slot where he belongs

4) Pass Rusher/LB

If it were up to me, I'd probably use 1 pick on the WR we need (even if it has to be our first round... that thought makes me want to vomit though), then every other pick is on defense. But Quinn had a good draft last season, so I guess I trust him.

3 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

With speed.

Bingo.  The Lions are a slow team right now.

This draft certainly has it's strengths and weaknesses.  It's really weak at DT, QB, and OT.  I think Soloman Thomas from Stanford could switch to the inside at the pro level, and help that position out.  It is really strong at RB, WR, TE, DE, LB, and DB's.  It's also a strong year for Centers.

20 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Yes the team that ranked historically terrible on D, we should invest yet again in some more offense. 

55 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Yes the team that ranked historically terrible on D, we should invest yet again in some more offense. 

Yeah, they gave up a lot of weak catches.  They actually have decent players on the D-line.  I really like Armonty Bryant.

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

haha...I'm with you.

WR seems like such an easy position to fill in the middle rounds.  Every year, the Steelers find a gem in the 3rd/4th rounds or later, a speedster.

Some of their recent draft picks and signees (ALL of whom are still on their roster)

(3rd round) Markus Wheaton  5-11 189 4.45
(4th round) Martavis Bryant  6-4 211 4.42
(3rd round) Sammie Coates  6-1  212 4.43
(7th round) Demarcus Ayers  5-9 182  4.72
(Undrafted) Eli Rogers  5-10 180  4.39
(6th round) Antonio Brown 5-10 186  4.48

The Lions need to follow this model.  Any one of these guys could make the Lions roster, with the possible exception of Ayers who is only now getting his feet wet (and done well in his first couple games).  Why is it so difficult for the Lions?  Of course, the Steelers draft guru is Kevin Colbert since 2000.  Before that?  He was the Pro Scouting Director for some of the really pretty good Lions teams of the 1990s.

1 person likes this

WR seems like such an easy position to fill in the middle rounds.  Every year, the Steelers find a gem in the 3rd/4th rounds or later, a speedster.

Some of their recent draft picks and signees (ALL of whom are still on their roster)

(3rd round) Markus Wheaton  5-11 189 4.45

(4th round) Martavis Bryant  6-4 211 4.42

(3rd round) Sammie Coates  6-1  212 4.43

(7th round) Demarcus Ayers  5-9 182  4.72

(Undrafted) Eli Rogers  5-10 180  4.39

(6th round) Antonio Brown 5-10 186  4.48

The Lions need to follow this model.  Any one of these guys could make the Lions roster, with the possible exception of Ayers who is only now getting his feet wet (and done well in his first couple games).  Why is it so difficult for the Lions?  Of course, the Steelers draft guru is Kevin Colbert since 2000.  Before that?  He was the Pro Scouting Director for some of the really pretty good Lions teams of the 1990s.

Good point. Looking back at their drafts, they've taken two offensive players in the first round since taking Rashard Mendenhall with pick 23 in 2008 - one G (David DeCastro) and one C (Maurkice Pouncey).