Tigeraholic1

Jim Caldwell to return next year

13 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Ah, my mistake.  Still, 8-8 is worse than Caldwell did in is first year.

But he's going to the Super Bowl in year two...after inheriting a team that went 4-12 and 6-10.  C'mon man!

45 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

and Kyle SHanahan is by far the best and most valuable coach that is a part of the Falcons

I don't think that's remotely fair to Dan Quinn. We don't really know much about what goes on behind closed doors, and it's not safe to assume that Kyle Shanahan has been more instrumental than Quinn, and even still, who a head coach brings in to help is also reflective of the head coach. 

Getting to the Superbowl is difficult, even with a talented roster. It's pretty hard to argue that Quinn hasn't worked out better than Caldwell did. It could be argued, obviously that the Falcons have had more talent than the lions so it's not an apples to apples comparison. 

On ‎1‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 6:46 PM, azzurri said:

Reminder of why the Lions remain losers:  A Tale of Three Franchises

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2014/1/13/5306132/lions-coaching-rumors-dan-quinn

2014: Falcons coming off 4-12 and 6-10 seasons hire Dan Quinn.  Lions (7-9) rumored to be interested in Quinn, go with Jim Caldwell.  Falcons on the way to the Super Bowl.

http://www.hngn.com/articles/159872/20151213/detroit-lions-rumors-bears-adam-gase-target-head-coach-jim.htm

2016: Lions (7-9) choose to keep Caldwell.  Dophins, coming off 6-10 season, hire Adam Gase...go 10-6...and are considered a team on the rise after a single season with Gase at the helm.

lol, comical.  Your comparing the head coaches?  You're playing checkers man, this is chess though.  GM Quinn got her last here, Caldwell went to the playoffs with the team from the Little Giants. 

As for Gase and the dolphins, no thanks all around. 

5 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

We had the 7th most snaps by rookies this past year 

Let BQ get 3 drafts under his built and then go back and compare with the Falcons.

Nas gets it at least.  Some of the comparisons people want to make in here are insane.

So after watching the Pats with yet another Super Bowl, does anyone look at Josh McDaniels or Matt Patricia and wish that Quinn would have given one of these guys a shot instead of bringing back Caldwell?

It mostly made me think he could outcoach Dan Quinn, but not Belichick. 

Patricia intrigues me I will say, but I feel like we'd basically be firing Caldwell over injuries. We're probably 11-5 with normal injury luck IMO. 

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So after watching the Pats with yet another Super Bowl, does anyone look at Josh McDaniels or Matt Patricia and wish that Quinn would have given one of these guys a shot instead of bringing back Caldwell?

They will still be available next year.

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I wanted Patricia when they hired Caldwell, so I would still love for him to come here. 

No, but I wish the Lions would have taken a flyer on Tom Brady in 2000.

2 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

He'd probably have had a short career playing behind Raiola, Backus et al.

4 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Not me, that would have meant we wouldn't get to draft Joey Ballgame in 2002.

On 2/6/2017 at 11:54 AM, Nastradamus said:

It mostly made me think he could outcoach Dan Quinn, but not Belichick. 

Patricia intrigues me I will say, but I feel like we'd basically be firing Caldwell over injuries. We're probably 11-5 with normal injury luck IMO. 

The lions were lucky to win 9 games and every nfl team has injuries.  Come on, put the kool aid back on the shelf and move away.

5 hours ago, Buddha said:

The lions were lucky to win 9 games and every nfl team has injuries.  Come on, put the kool aid back on the shelf and move away.

If anything this is reverse Kool-Aid haha. I get Lions fans being cynical,trust me, but be genuine about it man. 

We lost what for Atlanta would have been Beasley, Jones and Coleman with a major injury to Ryan. Who did they lose that mattered? I won't even make Julio retire.  Lol, come on now. Injuries happen to everyone, exactly, and the team that gets lucky on them in a given year usually beats all the injured team. See Carolina this year vs Carolina in 2015. 

58 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

If anything this is reverse Kool-Aid haha. I get Lions fans being cynical,trust me, but be genuine about it man. 

We lost what for Atlanta would have been Beasley, Jones and Coleman with a major injury to Ryan. Who did they lose that mattered? I won't even make Julio retire.  Lol, come on now. Injuries happen to everyone, exactly, and the team that gets lucky on them in a given year usually beats all the injured team. See Carolina this year vs Carolina in 2015. 

Except those guys are good and the guys we "lost" arent.

11 wins.  Youve entered homer territory before the draft has even started!  In june you'll be in full 13-3 mode!

12 hours ago, Buddha said:

Except those guys are good and the guys we "lost" arent.

11 wins.  Youve entered homer territory before the draft has even started!  In june you'll be in full 13-3 mode!

More like 2 wins.  Ziggy isn'tas  good as Beasley? Abdullah isn't as good as Tevin Coleman? Calvin wasn't good? Fine, you have a Levy thing, we'll leave him out.

Reverse Kool Aid ftw

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

More like 2 wins.  Ziggy isn'tas  good as Beasley? Abdullah isn't as good as Tevin Coleman? Calvin wasn't good? Fine, you have a Levy thing, we'll leave him out.

Reverse Kool Aid ftw

Calvin was injured? Which episode of dancing with the stars did he get hurt on?

Tevin coleman didnt win the falcons those games.  Devontae freeman did.  And abdullah isnt nearly as good as freeman has been.

They were losing every game but one with 1 minutes left in the game.  This is not an 11 team by any means.

How many lions were in pff top 100?  0?  Come on nastro, its too early in the year for lions kool aid.  Save it for mini camp when you can tell me youre excited because X is in the best shape of his career.

7 minutes ago, Buddha said:

Calvin was injured? Which episode of dancing with the stars did he get hurt on?

Tevin coleman didnt win the falcons those games.  Devontae freeman did.  And abdullah isnt nearly as good as freeman has been.

They were losing every game but one with 1 minutes left in the game.  This is not an 11 team by any means.

How many lions were in pff top 100?  0?  Come on nastro, its too early in the year for lions kool aid.  Save it for mini camp when you can tell me youre excited because X is in the best shape of his career.

Oh now guys like Tevin COleman don't matter, got it. The phrase you used was lost, not injured, in response to my point that "I won't even make Julio retire". 

So what about Ansah and STafford? Are they still not good? Was Levy an All pro last time he was healthy? I can't remember, mind googling?

You're carrying on terrible arguments in two threads. Take the L and move on man

10 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Oh now guys like Tevin COleman don't matter, got it. The phrase you used was lost, not injured, in response to my point that "I won't even make Julio retire". 

So what about Ansah and STafford? Are they still not good? Was Levy an All pro last time he was healthy? I can't remember, mind googling?

You're carrying on terrible arguments in two threads. Take the L and move on man

Ok homer, whatever you say.  You said the Lions were a legit 11 win team this year and you're saying someone ELSE is taking an "L"?

Stormin Norman, is that you?  Cruzer, is that you saying Joey Harrington is better than Peyton Manning?

I like Stafford but he didnt have nearly as good of a year as Ryan.  Maybe that's because Atlanta has more talent than the Lions?  Nyah, because, remember that time Deandre Levy was good?  Two years ago?  Yeah, take that Falcons!

The Lions had a lot of injuries this year, like Calvin Johnson.  Ok Nastro.  

I think someone spiked your honolulu blue and silver kool aid this time.  Go home homer, you're drunk.  Not even TP is buying what you're selling.

11 hours ago, Buddha said:

Ok homer, whatever you say.  You said the Lions were a legit 11 win team this year and you're saying someone ELSE is taking an "L"?

Stormin Norman, is that you?  Cruzer, is that you saying Joey Harrington is better than Peyton Manning?

I like Stafford but he didnt have nearly as good of a year as Ryan.  Maybe that's because Atlanta has more talent than the Lions?  Nyah, because, remember that time Deandre Levy was good?  Two years ago?  Yeah, take that Falcons!

The Lions had a lot of injuries this year, like Calvin Johnson.  Ok Nastro.  

I think someone spiked your honolulu blue and silver kool aid this time.  Go home homer, you're drunk.  Not even TP is buying what you're selling.

Dude, none of this was the argument. You were wrong. Can't you just own it?  It wasn't even that important lol. This literally has nothing to do with whether I'm a Lions homer or not. 

I never said Calvin got injured("I won't even make Julio retire"), you're the one who said Ziggy, Stafford and Abdullah weren't good. Not "not as good", just not good. I didn't say STafford had as good a year as Ryan, but I think your top 10 ranked QBR QB getting hurt is a big deal for just about any team. Maybe I'm crazy and just don't undertand the NFL though. 

You do realize the board saves everything you post right and it can still be read? SMH

5 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

Dude, none of this was the argument. You were wrong. Can't you just own it?  It wasn't even that important lol. This literally has nothing to do with whether I'm a Lions homer or not. 

I never said Calvin got injured("I won't even make Julio retire"), you're the one who said Ziggy, Stafford and Abdullah weren't good. Not "not as good", just not good. I didn't say STafford had as good a year as Ryan, but I think your top 10 ranked QBR QB getting hurt is a big deal for just about any team. Maybe I'm crazy and just don't undertand the NFL though. 

You do realize the board saves everything you post right and it can still be read? SMH

Lets back up and stop yelling.

Are you saying the lions win 11 games if stafford doesnt hurt his finger against the bears and ziggy doesnt sprain his ankle in week one?

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

Lets back up and stop yelling.

Are you saying the lions win 11 games if stafford doesnt hurt his finger against the bears and ziggy doesnt sprain his ankle in week one?

I'm sayig I  think our injuries were of the rather high end variety, as most of our major ones were to top 10 players on our roster

- Our run game with Abdullah and Cooter had basically been average, 15th in the league or so IIRC. Its near historically bad without Abdullah, who we know missed 15/16 games.

- We were 6th in sacks in 2015 with nearly the same DL as 2016, when we were 1 sack out of last place. A healthy Ziggy and you're a top 10 sack team. 

- Stafford was not as good as Ryan and by almost any measure had been a top 10 QB all year before the injury. Hard to say exactly how much it affected him I suppose. 

- You mentioned Freeman and you mentioned PFF. Riddick was the 12th rated RB this year. Freeman 10th. I think we really felt his loss down the stretch. 

- Slay was rated a top 10 CB most of the year and basically missed 4 games. 

- Swanson was a huge loss down the stretch according to PFF, in large part due to the drop off. 

I feel like I can squeeze 2 more wins out of that and I don't feel like any other playoff team can compare to the caliber of injuries we had. I left Levy out of it, but at the least he too has a history of success. I might be wrong, but I think its objective and not Kool Aid-y. I'll leave it at that.