Mr.TaterSalad

2018 Michigan Gubernatorial Race

Who Will Be The Next Governor of Michigan?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Be The Next Governor of Michigan?

• Bill Wild (D - Mayor of Westland)
    • Dan Kildee (D - Congressmen Flint)
    • Denise Illitch (D - Businesswoman and member of U of M Board of Regents)
    • Gretchen Whitmer (D - Former Lansing State Senator/Current Ingham County Prosecutor)
    • Hansen Clarke (D - Former Congressmen)
    • Mark Hackel (D - Macomb County Executive)
    • Bill Schuette (R - Michigan Attorney General)
    • Brian Calley (R - Lt. Governor to Rick Snyder)
    • Candice Miller (R - Former SOS and Congresswoman)
    • Ruth Johnson (R - Michigan SOS)
    • Other

Rep Kildee has decided no to run. 

Does this leave a clear path for Whitmer for the Democratic nomination?

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Looks like Fieger may run again.

http://www.freep.com/story/news/2017/05/12/geoffrey-fieger-michigan-governor/319594001/

Also hinted at running for President. I would so vote for Fieger over Trump. 

In his commercials, which I assume present him in his best light, Fieger doesn't look physically up to it. Not to mention: more old news. We have to be able to do better...

If running against Trump, I would. Fieger is smarter and at least more qualified. Fieger also has a history of fighting for civil rights so I doubt he would set up a Muslim ban or fight to kick millions of people off health care but like Trump, he's probably unpredictable. 

Fieger is an alcoholic from those I have talked to on the inside. Take it for what it's worth, just reporting what others have told me.

On 5/9/2017 at 8:44 AM, CMRivdog said:

Rep Kildee has decided no to run. 

Does this leave a clear path for Whitmer for the Democratic nomination?

Whitmer is far and away the front runner over Abdul El-Sayed and Bill Cobbs. El-Sayed really damaged his chances when he went on OTR with Tim Skubick and admitted that he did not vote in the 2016 Presidential primary election. He claims he would have voted for Bernie though.

I'm predicting a Gretchen Whitmer/David Knezek ticket in 2018.

I'm quite certain someone with the name Abdul El-Sayed is not going to win a state that went for Trump. I think it will come down to Whitmer and Hackel. If you can win over Macomb County, you can probably win the election.

52 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I wouldn't ever vote for Fieger as POTUS.

Is Fieger better than an orangutan or at least equal?

3 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

Poor Beth, Mark will go off to Lansing to join Richard , Dad will pass away, she will left to run the firm all by herself.....

...Bwa-ha-ha-HAH!

Serious question it raises though, would Richard Berstein have to recuse himself from every case before the court where the Governor's office was a party?

Wow, I was just making fun of Feiger in yesterday's game thread because of his commercials during the games.  I knew I had seen his name before and this was the thread.  He looks like someone that would hang around with Deuce Sr.   I bet his real name is Jeff.  

22 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Wow, I was just making fun of Feiger in yesterday's game thread because of his commercials during the games.  I knew I had seen his name before and this was the thread.  He looks like someone that would hang around with Deuce Sr.   I bet his real name is Jeff.  

Feiger ran for Gov once before and got trounced - don't see why he'd do any better in a 2nd try.

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Feiger ran for Gov once before and got trounced - don't see way he'd do any better in a 2nd try.

Anything is possible if Trump can get elected POTUS.

6 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

Anything is possible if Trump can get elected POTUS.

Yes, there is definitely that.

No one was going to beat Engler when Fieger ran. Before Trump I would have said no way, now I don't know. All he has to do is just make it up on the fly and tell people what they want to hear. He doesn't need any substance. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

No one was going to beat Engler when Fieger ran. Before Trump I would have said no way, now I don't know. All he has to do is just make it up on the fly and tell people what they want to hear. He doesn't need any substance. 

We are going to see a lot of politicians employ Trump-style tactics during 2018 election campaigns.

All Fieger has to do is claim all the homicides in Detroit are illegal Canadians and he will have Canada build a wall instead of another bridge. 

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Interesting. The State Dems  intent on avoiding a messy primary I suppose. OTOH, a messy primary can be a lot of free media for the eventual winner.

As a practical matter I don't know how good an idea it would be for the Governor to be a brother of a SCOTSOM justice - could lead to a lot of recusals in the most important cases.

Michigan House Democrats gain 2 new members in special election

Sara Cambensy won an important race up in the 109th State House District. After State Representative John Kivela took his own life earlier this year, is was a wonder if Democrats would be able to hold onto a rural seat in the UP. They did, 54% to 45%.

Having done a little phone banking for her, I was glad to see that Cambensy won.

On 11/8/2017 at 10:05 AM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Michigan House Democrats gain 2 new members in special election

Sara Cambensy won an important race up in the 109th State House District. After State Representative John Kivela took his own life earlier this year, is was a wonder if Democrats would be able to hold onto a rural seat in the UP. They did, 54% to 45%.

Having done a little phone banking for her, I was glad to see that Cambensy won.

Don't Democrats traditionally do very well in the UP?