Mr.TaterSalad

2018 Michigan Gubernatorial Race

Who Will Be The Next Governor of Michigan?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who Will Be The Next Governor of Michigan?

• Bill Wild (D - Mayor of Westland)
    • Dan Kildee (D - Congressmen Flint)
    • Denise Illitch (D - Businesswoman and member of U of M Board of Regents)
    • Gretchen Whitmer (D - Former Lansing State Senator/Current Ingham County Prosecutor)
    • Hansen Clarke (D - Former Congressmen)
    • Mark Hackel (D - Macomb County Executive)
    • Bill Schuette (R - Michigan Attorney General)
    • Brian Calley (R - Lt. Governor to Rick Snyder)
    • Candice Miller (R - Former SOS and Congresswoman)
    • Ruth Johnson (R - Michigan SOS)
    • Other

I got spam texted by the MI GOP this evening so I decided to reply knowing full well they aren’t going to read it. Note that the language they use has nothing to do with prop 2 or 3. 

2EBDCF2C-855C-4411-8F5E-25FB1680A1A1.png

• Like 1

I think I'll be voting yes on all 3

A video of Schuette from 1989 has surfaced. Apparently I'm suppose to be outraged by it. Schuette claims he was trying to be funny. I'm not sure what is funny about it or why I should be outraged. Perhaps someone can explain it to me.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/10/11/schuette-1989-interview-regret/1605045002/

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

A video of Schuette from 1989 has surfaced. Apparently I'm suppose to be outraged by it. Schuette claims he was trying to be funny. I'm not sure what is funny about it or why I should be outraged. Perhaps someone can explain it to me.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2018/10/11/schuette-1989-interview-regret/1605045002/

well, his attempt at humor clearly contained an inappropriate sexual innuendo and for that he apologized. And Whitmer's response noting the issue is his governmental action history was also appropriate. I also get tired of faux outrage - this is pretty much a nothingburger. It's certainly fair game to point out episodes when a candidate was jerk. It's a data point. You add it to the mix in the evaluation. But outrage - no. 

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

well, his attempt at humor clearly contained an inappropriate sexual innuendo and for that he apologized. And Whitmer's response noting the issue is his governmental action history was also appropriate. I also get tired of faux outrage - this is pretty much a nothingburger. It's certainly fair game to point out episodes when a candidate was jerk. It's a data point. You add it to the mix in the evaluation. But outrage - no. 

It seemed like flirting. Bad flirting but flirting. If this is so horrible, I'm completely doomed. 

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It seemed like flirting. Bad flirting but flirting. If this is so horrible, I'm completely doomed. 

Your are being a bit too forgiving I think. Public people should have the decorum not to flirt on the job - don't you think? That's not such a high bar. But again, outrage not necessary, horror not needed - but an apology was.

I don’t need to watch a video to know that Schuette is a grade A *******.

9 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

I don’t need to watch a video to know that Schuette is a grade A *******.

No doubt. I just didn't see what was so bad. I've experienced a lot worse from women at my workplace. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Nothing outrageous.  Just unfunny and a vaguely creepy.  

23 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

No doubt. I just didn't see what was so bad. I've experienced a lot worse from women at my workplace. 

My current workplace would not tolerate anything like that.  I have seen it at other places

Yeah don’t overplay that hand. Whitmer handled it right so far. Don’t make it a thing. It’s out there. You don’t need that to make you case.  Like you said it’s a data point. 

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

My current workplace would not tolerate anything like that.  I have seen it at other places

The president of my department is female, all the VP's are female, and all the supervisors except one are female. I've literally been hugged unwillingly, had women refer to me as their boyfriend, and had some comment on my looks. I just work from home now and avoid women and minorities in the workplace. Works much better for me. 

6 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Yeah don’t overplay that hand. Whitmer handled it right so far. Don’t make it a thing. It’s out there. You don’t need that to make you case.  Like you said it’s a data point. 

Her ad talking about her Mother's cancer was well done I think. But then again, I don't know how any of the silly over the top political ads that are so popular work for anyone, but apparently there are people that watch them and fall for the nonsensical claims

A heads up that Bernie Sanders will be in Ann Arbor this Friday, October 19th. It will be for a rally endorsing Gretchen Whitmer for Governor. The event is at the University of Michigan's Rackham Auditorium at 7pm. It is free and open to the public, so no RSVP or tickets are required. If you are interested in going I suggest getting there early as a lot of people will be going and lining up early.

On 10/11/2018 at 9:14 PM, Motown Bombers said:

The president of my department is female, all the VP's are female, and all the supervisors except one are female. I've literally been hugged unwillingly, had women refer to me as their boyfriend, and had some comment on my looks. I just work from home now and avoid women and minorities in the workplace. Works much better for me. 

Do you have a sign on your home office that says "No Women & No Coloreds Allowed"? 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Do you have a sign on your home office that says "No Women & No Coloreds Allowed"? 

No. I have a sign on the front of my house that says "Get off my lawn"

My workplace is a very sexists workplace. The sexual innuendo and unwanted touching is a bit much. If they didn't pay well, I would leave. 

13 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

No. I have a sign on the front of my house that says "Get off my lawn"

My workplace is a very sexists workplace. The sexual innuendo and unwanted touching is a bit much. If they didn't pay well, I would leave. 

And no need to even say anything about the minorities. We all agree they are awful.

3 hours ago, 313DetroitCity said:

And no need to even say anything about the minorities. We all agree they are awful.

I thought that was implied. My house is in an all white neighborhood. I don't yearn for the days of neighbors yelling ****** this on their front porch, stealing anything and everything in site, vandalizing my vehicles, and the occasional gun shots because someone got disrespected at a party the previous night. 

The numbers are equally bad for the other Republican statewide candidates for AG and SOS.

Attorney General

Dana Nessel, Democrat: 44.9%

Tom Leonard, Republican: 34.2%

Lisa Lane Gioia, Libertarian: 2.8%

Gerald Van Sickle, US Taxpayers: 1%

Chris Graveline, independent: 0.7%

Undecided:  16.5%

Secretary of State

Jocelyn Benson, Democrat: 45%

Mary Treder Lang, Republican: 34%

Gregory Scott Stempfle, Libertarian: 1.5%

Robert Gale, US Taxpayers: 2%

• Like 1

I feel more informed after reading this article.