Shinma

1/1/17. Packers at Lions. 8:30pm NBC. Week 17, Sunday Night.

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

There are not many gigs open this year, and Austin hasn't been mentioned for any of them.  I would be shocked if he left.

Austin is likely to get multiple interviews for the obvious reason whether he is really in the running or not.

Whether he can parlay one of those into a job is yet to be seen.

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

There are not many gigs open this year, and Austin hasn't been mentioned for any of them.  I would be shocked if he left.

I wouldn't be shocked if the whole staff is brought back, or if the whole staff is gone. Quinn has had a year to evaluate what he wants to do, and honestly, I don't see anything from Austin, Caldwell, or even Cooter that means any of them must stay. They have all done some good things, so I'm not saying any should be fired, but I wont throw a fit either way.

I do think the chance of Stafford signing a long term deal goes down if the staff turns over though. I mean, if I was him, I'd be looking at the Denver situation and trying to get there anyway... but signs of yet another rebuild means I'm probably out.  

Stafford isnt going anywhere.  The lions will make sure of that.  He'll be the highest paid qb in football soon.

Just now, Buddha said:

Stafford isnt going anywhere.  The lions will make sure of that.  He'll be the highest paid qb in football soon.

That's not enough for everyone. He may think he can't win here. With all the records he's setting he has a chance to be considered top 10 all time if he wins a superbowl or 2. 

12 hours ago, Buddha said:

Austin is likely to get multiple interviews for the obvious reason whether he is really in the running or not.

Whether he can parlay one of those into a job is yet to be seen.

Austin just took us to 32nd in DVOA. Our talent isn't good, but I'm not so sure its league worst, and even if it is it doesn't appear he lifted it above its talent at all. The mythology on this guy needs to end

21 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Vastly superior?  Come on man.  It was 23-17 and the Lions made the stop. Levy was just too lazy to get off the field. If levy was interested in football the lions would have had the ball back with a chance to win. 

Vastly superior is so far from the truth. 

Lol, aren't we done with this one?

20 hours ago, azzurri said:

2017 Opponents:

(Home) Chicago, Green Bay, Minnesota, Atlanta, Carolina, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Arizona

(Away) Chicago, Green Bay, Minnesota, New Orleans, Tampa Bay, Baltimore, Cincinnati, NYG

If Caldwell returns, it's hard to see more than a 1-7 road record (possibly 2-6).  At home, 5-3 or 6-2.  So, look for a 7-9 season with milquetoast Caldwell at the helm.  With a bold stroke and a new forward-looking head coach, they could go anywhere from 9-7 to 11-5.  It's no accident that good coaches (Andy Reid, Bill Parcells, Jim Harbaugh) make huge leaps in one or two seasons while middling or below-middling coaches like Caldwell go nowhere.

Were those guys losing all pros left and right?

The Lions have essentially returned to the Wayne Fontes days of mediocrity, which seems to be the ceiling for this franchise.  Quinn might be able to take them over the hump, but it won't happen with Caldwell at the helm.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

The Lions have essentially returned to the Wayne Fontes days of mediocrity, which seems to be the ceiling for this franchise.  Quinn might be able to take them over the hump, but it won't happen with Caldwell at the helm.  

That seems extreme in year one of a regime

• Like 1

Interesting stat of the day. Our only players rated in the top 10 at their respective positions - Swanson,Slay,Riddick and Stafford. 

Even with all his flaws Matt Stafford is better than any other option.   

Would you want to draft a QB?     Get a free agent?   Trade for one.   There is one viable option for QB this coming offseason and that's Tony Romo and he's no better than Stafford and he's injury prone.   He'll go to a team that's close to winning now but needs a QB.   Romo probably ends up with Denver - maybe Arizona if Carson Palmer retires.   

18 hours ago, kgeorge78 said:

Im a sunshine guy T&P But If you think Caldwell can take them anywhere you are smoking crack.  He is one of the worst coaches in football.  Pompus self righteous arrogant goof (Know him personally unfortunately).

He refuses to make adjustments, refuses to challenge obvious calls, can't adapt to 2nd half changes from other teams, generally has poor clock management and Will never coach again (Any takers??) After this job...

Having said that I think the Lions can beat Seattle - Their O line is hurting and our D Line actually got to Rodgers quite a bit but Rodgers is playing superhuman right now so we didn't take him down.  Earl Thomas out makes a huge difference 

18 hours ago, kgeorge78 said:

The guy treats timeouts like gold which is amazing to see.  We have needed them so often and literally won us more than a few games this year i.e. @ Minn, Wash and @Indy off the top of my head.  His clock management is not affair complaint. 

This was a 4 win team that made the playoffs with a legit opportunity to win this game.  This matchup is/was our best matchup of any team to play.  Want no part of GB again and Giants are a terrible matchup for us. Riddick is a huge matchup problem that is a devastating loss.  We have not been nearly as effective since he went out.  Love where this team is going.  Caldwell is not the problem...lack of talent is.  Quinn has us in the right direction.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Vastly superior?  Come on man.  It was 23-17 and the Lions made the stop. Levy was just too lazy to get off the field. If levy was interested in football the lions would have had the ball back with a chance to win. 

Vastly superior is so far from the truth. 

The first half was close, the Packers dominated the second half in every aspect, it never felt like the Lions had a chance once the Packers got into a rhythm  The Lions offense got virtually nothing done in the second half until garbage time and the Packers moved up and down the field with relative ease.  Much like the Dallas game when the Lions hung with them for a half but were worn out and outclassed in the second half.  Even the Giants game to an extent where the Giants gained extra territorial advantage in the second half.   

It's pretty obvious that the Lions are a decent team that can compete with good teams but there is a clear separation between them and the true playoff teams as most of us suspected for some time now.  The roster depth just isn't there and Stafford's play slumped the last 3 weeks. I gotta admit that the New Orleans performance had me buying in but it turns out that they are a pretty weak team themselves. 

Quinn needs more time to build the depth of the roster and bring in his coaches if need be, right now this is mainly a Mayhew team still so it'll take time to sweep out the remnants from his administration.  This was supposed to be a transition year so they've done ok all things considered.

21 hours ago, Jason_R said:

If you read my posts, you'd see that I never expected the Lions to win this game.

But I'm not complaining about a ticky-tack call. I'm complaining about a Lions player that got manhandled by a Packers DB on a play that would either have ended the game for the Packers (which it did) or put the Lions on the goal line with a first down. This is not the first time the Lions have lost the officiating game, and if it bothers you to hear it, you shouldn't be on message boards.

The refs weren't the reason why the Lions lost the game.  They got away with a few calls too so lets not act like the officiating was one sided.

1 hour ago, Nastradamus said:

Interesting stat of the day. Our only players rated in the top 10 at their respective positions - Swanson,Slay,Riddick and Stafford. 

Lions rated 27th by fo.  Below the bears and jaguars and just ahead of the niners and texans.

Lions have a long way to go.  Just shows you the vagaries of nfl football that a bad team can still win games against other bad teams.

Stafford had one heck of a run this year.  The odds of the lions winning all those games they did in the way they did was pretty great.  I think that is masking the big deficiencies on this team, especially on defense.

Yeah. The Lions are not a good football team. It's great that they were able to win 9 games with such a bad team and make the playoffs. That was extremely unlikely but those things happen. Maybe they can play a perfect game on Saturday and win a playoff game. 

They have managed to beat teams that were better than them this year. A win over Seattle would be their best win of the season by far. They had a chance the last three weeks to beat a good team and they failed. That's ok. They have another one coming up. 

The refs weren't the reason why the Lions lost the game.  They got away with a few calls too so lets not act like the officiating was one sided.

I'm not saying the refs were the reason the Lions lost.

I do think the officiating was one-sided. And I do think there are certain teams that get favorable calls (Green Bay and Dallas) and certain teams that don't (Detroit). You will never convince me that an NFL officiating crew would overturn a PI call and march the ball back to the original line of scrimmage in a playoff game against the Patriots. And there is a reason they call it the Calvin Johnson rule.

I also think uneven officiating is the single worst problem the NFL has. Does anybody know what a catch is anymore? Does anyone know what pass interference is anymore? You'd think with all of the resources they are putting into technology they would make some strides toward standardizing the officiating on the field. But it still seems like officials get lost in the moment and call the thing they think the viewing public wants to see. GB DB shoves Lions WR with two hands at the goal line for an interception to seal the game? No call. Game over. Lions DE gets his pinky on a face mask on the final play of a game? Call. Untimed down for Aa-Rod.

I long for the day when the Lions are talented enough to overcome unbalanced officiating. Until then, I will ***** about unbalanced officiating.

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

QB play can paper over a lot of holes.

Yes it can. However, I still think the lions were incredibly fortunate to end up with the record they did, even with good QB play. It still feels like with the way they played, they should have been a 6-10 team. Stafford was good enough to paper over those holes and make them a six win quality team. 

Without stafford, I can't think of a single game that they win. Seriously, had stafford been injured prior to game 1, would thy have won a single game this year? I'm trying to think of one. 

Even with stafford this is a bad team. It will be amazing if this is the team that finally gets that elusive playoff win. If they do, stafford should be given a statue and they should raise a "playoff win" banner. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jason_R said:

I'm not saying the refs were the reason the Lions lost.

I do think the officiating was one-sided. And I do think there are certain teams that get favorable calls (Green Bay and Dallas) and certain teams that don't (Detroit). You will never convince me that an NFL officiating crew would overturn a PI call and march the ball back to the original line of scrimmage in a playoff game against the Patriots. And there is a reason they call it the Calvin Johnson rule.

I also think uneven officiating is the single worst problem the NFL has. Does anybody know what a catch is anymore? Does anyone know what pass interference is anymore? You'd think with all of the resources they are putting into technology they would make some strides toward standardizing the officiating on the field. But it still seems like officials get lost in the moment and call the thing they think the viewing public wants to see. GB DB shoves Lions WR with two hands at the goal line for an interception to seal the game? No call. Game over. Lions DE gets his pinky on a face mask on the final play of a game? Call. Untimed down for Aa-Rod.

I long for the day when the Lions are talented enough to overcome unbalanced officiating. Until then, I will ***** about unbalanced officiating.

I rarely have an issue determining if something is a catch. People should really be caught up on this by now

I rarely have an issue determining if something is a catch. People should really be caught up on this by now

Do you even watch the games? If you did, you'd notice that every broadcast network has a former official that they go to when they replay these contested catches ad nauseam, often with the retired officials objecting to the call made on the field.

But maybe they should just call you.

49 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Do you even watch the games? If you did, you'd notice that every broadcast network has a former official that they go to when they replay these contested catches ad nauseam, often with the retired officials objecting to the call made on the field.

But maybe they should just call you.

Yes

12 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Copy that.

Fontes was 67-71 – the dictionary definition of mediocre. I wouldn't even put Caldwell in that category.

I'd personally love to see an official launch of the *real* Quinn/O'Brien era with a total teardown. The "Bobby Layne curse" is really nothing more than decades of bad management, bad coaches, bad drafting, bad decisions, and bad ownership. There's never been a top-to-bottom commitment to excellence with the Lions organization in my entire lifetime. Just a fungus of losing that eternally carries over and lingers year after year. The franchise needs to be completely turned around. I'm banking that Quinn sees it. I really have a feeling he's going to bring in Patricia – or possibly McDaniels if he can get him – along with a totally new coaching staff. Caldwell is not a long term solution – he wasn't even the Lions first choice. His dewey-eyed fans are channeling the ghost of WCF and being way too squishy and softhearted with this guy. He's just another retread. As others have said, Stafford was really the one who carried this team on his back all year.

Hopefully a new HC would do what Holmgren, Jimmy Johnson, Pete Carrol, and other agents of change have done: clean house. Besides Stafford and a few other players, everyone's expendable. Blow it up. A couple more smart, solid drafts by Quinn and the Lions are a young contending team with a veteran QB. If Quinn's going to lose like he did Sunday he should do it with his own coach, his own team, his own vision.