Shinma

1/1/17. Packers at Lions. 8:30pm NBC. Week 17, Sunday Night.

563 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, azzurri said:

I never said to fire the coach before the playoff game.  What is ludicrous is the Lions saying Caldwell will unequivocally be back before the playoff game is played.  What if they lose 52-0 after winning zero games against playoff teams and backing into the playoffs with 3 straight losses?  And, you know the Lions will have to extend him at least one season because nobody goes into a season with a coach in lame duck status because it sends a wrong signal to players.  The extension is coming.

What the lions said was that Jim Caldwell's status hasn't changed. He wasn't fired. He wasn't extended. And for some reason that upsets you. But you also say you don't think he should be fired. I honestly don't know what point you are trying to make now. Are you upset at the lions for an extension that hasn't happened? Are you upset the GM said he thought Caldwell did a good job this year? Because honestly, with the team Caldwell was given I agree with that statement. I recall PFF had them winning 4 games and finishing as one of the worst teams in the NFC. No other site really had a different opinion. 

How does not firing Caldwell today mean he won't be fired Sunday? Or 4 months from now. Heck, Jeff Fisher was extended and fired in the same season. Every single game could be the last one an NFL coach coaches depending on what happens. 

15 hours ago, azzurri said:

If, after 3 seasons with Caldwell at the helm, the argument is that he's led them to being on par with the Tampa Bay Bucs...and deserves a 4th term...then we are totally LOST as Lions fans.  The Buccaneers went 9-7 with a rookie head coach, coming off franchise seasons of 4-12, 2-14, 6-10.  It is indefensible to say Caldwell deserves another chance.

58 minutes ago, azzurri said:

I never said to fire the coach before the playoff game.  

Also, if this first quote isn't saying that Caldwell should be fired then I don't know what is. And surely you know the lions haven't played their playoff game yet. So maybe I am just not understanding your point. 

59 minutes ago, hardyaf said:

What the lions said was that Jim Caldwell's status hasn't changed. He wasn't fired. He wasn't extended. And for some reason that upsets you. But you also say you don't think he should be fired. I honestly don't know what point you are trying to make now. Are you upset at the lions for an extension that hasn't happened? Are you upset the GM said he thought Caldwell did a good job this year? Because honestly, with the team Caldwell was given I agree with that statement. I recall PFF had them winning 4 games and finishing as one of the worst teams in the NFC. No other site really had a different opinion. 

How does not firing Caldwell today mean he won't be fired Sunday? Or 4 months from now. Heck, Jeff Fisher was extended and fired in the same season. Every single game could be the last one an NFL coach coaches depending on what happens. 

Because Bob Quinn said he's coming back next year (see attachment)

I am for firing Jim Caldwell after the playoff game against Seattle.  I fully expect to lose.  On the off chance they pull off a playoff run, certainly I would consider retaining Caldwell. But, I don't see that happening...nothing in his past leads me to believe they will win the game.  But, the difference between me, you, and Quinn is that I'm the only one who would fire him if they lose in Seattle.  I don't see him as the coach to progress this team forward because there has been no progression in 3 seasons.  Arguably his best season was his first, followed by last year (where they actually beat a playoff team), followed by this year.  His teams have regressed every season...which is the pattern for all Caldwell teams in the past (see his Colts and Wake Forest history).  But, I will be back on here if they beat Seattle.  No close losses, no officiating excuses...we saw that in season one at Dallas...nothing short of a victory would save his job in my opinion.

2017-01-06_14-27-46.jpg

To me, this team has a real lack of talent. The fact that they managed to win nine games with garbage talent is a very small feather in caldwell's cap. I don't see any other coach out there having won more than 9 games with this hot garbage team. I think there are a lot of coaches out there that would have won fewer games.

Keeping him around for another year isn't going to set them back or anything. They will suck next year regardless.

57 minutes ago, azzurri said:

Because Bob Quinn said he's coming back next year (see attachment)

I am for firing Jim Caldwell after the playoff game against Seattle.  I fully expect to lose.  On the off chance they pull off a playoff run, certainly I would consider retaining Caldwell. But, I don't see that happening...nothing in his past leads me to believe they will win the game.  But, the difference between me, you, and Quinn is that I'm the only one who would fire him if they lose in Seattle.  I don't see him as the coach to progress this team forward because there has been no progression in 3 seasons.  Arguably his best season was his first, followed by last year (where they actually beat a playoff team), followed by this year.  His teams have regressed every season...which is the pattern for all Caldwell teams in the past (see his Colts and Wake Forest history).  But, I will be back on here if they beat Seattle.  No close losses, no officiating excuses...we saw that in season one at Dallas...nothing short of a victory would save his job in my opinion.

2017-01-06_14-27-46.jpg

You know the only reason the lions didn't beat a playoff team this year is because they made the playoffs right? If they had lost 1 more game, Washington is in, then the lions have your magical victory over a playoff team, validating their season to you.

If you honestly actually think last year was a better year than this year there really isn't much point to continuing this. And thank you for boxing the part in red where the GM doesn't throw his head coach under the bus for making the playoffs. I read that and I think, "Bob Quinn is definitely committing to Jim Caldwell as head coach for life". I only wish it said, "Yeah, I'm definitely going to fire him. But not before the playoff game. Definitely after."

So what needs to happen for the lions to win tomorrow night?

Three sacks of Wilson? Holding Seattle to 16 points? +1 turnovers by the Lions? I guess if this happens they have a pretty good shot.

Also Andre Roberts doesn't take any kickoffs out of the end zone. ;-)

3 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Three sacks of Wilson? Holding Seattle to 16 points? +1 turnovers by the Lions? I guess if this happens they have a pretty good shot.

Also Andre Roberts doesn't take any kickoffs out of the end zone. ;-)

Pretty close to what I would have said. I doubt we win if we don't turn them over at least once, and we definitely have to get pressure on that bad OL. Zenner getting at least 75 would go a long ways and Stafford is going to have to make at least a couple of big time throws. Throws that beat good  defense. 

My gut says Jimmy Graham is going to kill us. That is all.

22 minutes ago, hardyaf said:

My gut says Jimmy Graham is going to kill us. That is all.

Have faith in your head coach.  Jim Caldwell coached teams have always fared well against Jimmy Graham.  Seriously, look it up.  Well, other than the 2011 Jim Caldwell coached Colts who lost 62-7 against Graham's Saints (where Graham got 2 TDs).  Other than that one, JC teams have locked down Graham, even the last 2 years.

4 minutes ago, azzurri said:

Have faith in your head coach.  Jim Caldwell coached teams have always fared well against Jimmy Graham.  Seriously, look it up.  Well, other than the 2011 Jim Caldwell coached Colts who lost 62-7 against Graham's Saints (where Graham got 2 TDs).  Other than that one, JC teams have locked down Graham, even the last 2 years.

Unsure if you are being sarcastic or not, but this lions team has struggled mightily against TEs, and we have yet to play a good one. At least the seahawks don't know Jimmy Graham is really really good. That might save us.

13 hours ago, hardyaf said:

Unsure if you are being sarcastic or not, but this lions team has struggled mightily against TEs, and we have yet to play a good one. At least the seahawks don't know Jimmy Graham is really really good. That might save us.

It was a touch of sarcasm, but I did the research and Graham had some of the worst games of the seasons against Caldwell teams.  Of course, it was a sample size of only 4 or 5, but still I give credit where due...whether it was by defensive design or just coincidence.

On 2017-01-03 at 0:29 PM, Gozer said:

Funny because I never posed 18 hours ago - that was my last post... Creep

On 1/2/2017 at 2:40 PM, Sports_Freak said:

Seattle by 20. 

I should have been in Vegas.