Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shinma

12/26/16. Lions at Cowboys. 8:30pm, ESPN. Week 16. Monday Night.

364 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

The Seahawks had Marshawn Lynch AND a #1 D fwiw. 

Dallas isn't 0% to win the SB obviously, but I'd set their odds a lot lower than I would your average #1 seed. The playoffs are a different animal 

Dak's had a terrific regular season for a rookie, but you're right – playoffs are almost like a different season. Every opponent is the top drawer of the conference. Teams dial up the intensity and go all in because it's win or go home. He'll definitely be tested

3 hours ago, number20 said:

Dak's had a terrific regular season for a rookie, but you're right – playoffs are almost like a different season. Every opponent is the top drawer of the conference. Teams dial up the intensity and go all in because it's win or go home. He'll definitely be tested

Yup, exactly

3 hours ago, number20 said:

Playoffs is a completely different season, different level of intensity, but Dak is in a prime situation to succeed.  All he needs to be is a game manager with all the playmakers around him and the offensive line giving him tons of time to pick his spots, he doesn't have to play at a level outside of his comfort zone because of his supporting cast.  Being at home throughout his huge for him too and being in a weakened NFC.  Their defense on the other hand.....could be rough if they have to go up against Atlanta or Green Bay.

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Playoffs is a completely different season, different level of intensity, but Dak is in a prime situation to succeed.  All he needs to be is a game manager with all the playmakers around him and the offensive line giving him tons of time to pick his spots, he doesn't have to play at a level outside of his comfort zone because of his supporting cast.  Being at home throughout his huge for him too and being in a weakened NFC.  Their defense on the other hand.....could be rough if they have to go up against Atlanta or Green Bay.

Well, there's that too...

1 hour ago, NYLion said:

I agree it's all set up for him. A great O-Line and a great RB. But.....until he does it we won't know if the rookie will choke or not. My bet would be no but we'll see. If he had done it for a few years (and then was no longer a rookie) I may give the 'Boys better odds. But, as a fan, I hope they get bounced in their first game. Unless we really want the Cowboy fans to suffer and have them make it to the SB only to lose to New England.

There are really good teams out there who would consider anything but a SB victory a wasted season. We've never had the option to have such confidence in the Lions. The Lions really are one of the worst run franchises in all of sports, not just in football. Pretty sad, I guess. I don't know any different when it comes to my favorite team. Losing is the norm, the thing that most of us agree is true.

While a power back would be nice, I almost say just sign another scat back like say, Andre Ellington. Just always have one on the field, healthy, and run our offense that way. Have a hammer like Zenner waiting in the wings, playing some STs, maybe closing out blowouts if we ever have any 

This year's draft will be loaded with running backs.  Why sign junk off the street when you can get one cheaply with talent in the middle rounds?

34 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

This year's draft will be loaded with running backs.  Why sign junk off the street when you can get one cheaply with talent in the middle rounds?

There's just so much to unpack here..........

17 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I agree it's all set up for him. A great O-Line and a great RB. But.....until he does it we won't know if the rookie will choke or not. My bet would be no but we'll see. If he had done it for a few years (and then was no longer a rookie) I may give the 'Boys better odds. But, as a fan, I hope they get bounced in their first game. Unless we really want the Cowboy fans to suffer and have them make it to the SB only to lose to New England.

If their first game is against the Giants I'm not so sure they get past them

2 hours ago, number20 said:

If their first game is against the Giants I'm not so sure they get past them

The Giants are not that good.  It would also be at home, and I would expect the Lions would get some players back that have been injured.

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

The Giants are not that good.  It would also be at home, and I would expect the Lions would get some players back that have been injured.

Giants message boards are probably saying the same thing about us. Are we really that good? We're 1-5 against teams with a winning record and our loan win was another late game miracle against Washington. Plus, they beat the Cowboys twice and we went to Jerryworld and got trucked.

I think number20 was referring to dallas's first game potentially being against the Giants, in the context of the whole dak discussion and how he may or may not perform well in the playoffs. 

Anyway, if I had to pick a potential first opponent for the lions, I would prefer it to be the Giants rather than the packers, but would prefer to play the redskins most of all. 

If we end up as the 6 seed, I guess I would prefer the falcons, then the Seahawks, then the packers. 

1 hour ago, cruzer1 said:

We were talking about Dak and the Cowboys, not the Lions. I meant Dallas getting past the Giants.

Giants are 8-2 in their last 10 games. Maybe not a great team, but I wouldn't say "not that good". I don't expect them to beat the Redskins though. Washington absolutely has to win that game. NY doesn't – they already clinched. Which means Sunday will likely be win or go home for the Lions. Might as well call it a playoff game 

If you call it a playoff game then they will lose, though. 

I think the Giants are good enough that they still have a very good chance of beating Washington even if they don't have anything to play for. And aside from guys that are already injured, I expect they will be playing that game to win and using their starters. 

That said, I'm kind of over the idea of having the sixth seed as a safety net if they on Sunday night. The sixth seed is awful. The first round matchup is going to be a really tough road game, and even if they win, then they have to go to Dallas the week after that. The lions are not good enough to succeed in that scenario, so missing out on that is hardly a big deal the more I think about it. 

I mean, I'll still be happy that they made the playoffs in that scenario and I do want Washington to lose, but Washington winning isn't going to put me in a sour mood.