Sign in to follow this  
lordstanley

December 19 to January 1 Combined Game Thread: Holidays Edition

At least we might finally start getting some much needed high draft picks to start a much needed rebuild.

The problem with living on the West Coast when the Wings are bad is that by the time I get a chance to sit down and tune in for a bit it's already 4-0 other guys.

Blashill might not have enough good talent to work with, but he doesn't seem like the right guy to lead the Wings at this point.  Too many players have either regressed or have not developed under Blashill, and that suggests to me there is a coaching / leadership problem.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

This team is poopy.

4 regulation wins in past 27 games. Next 9 of 10 games on the road. 7 of 8 teams in playoff position currently are at least 9 points up on the Wings. Season's over.

10 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

4 regulation wins in past 27 games. Next 9 of 10 games on the road. 7 of 8 teams in playoff position currently are at least 9 points up on the Wings. Season's over.

As bad as it seems, the Wings are only  5 points out of the last playoff spot in the division.  So a hot streak and they are fine.  It's weird watching the Wings and Leafs on a consistent basis.  Leafs are fun as heck to watch, but always collapse in the 3rd period (9 rookies, I guess I can understand that) which then makes it extremely frustrating.  Wings seem to play a very east-west game, which makes each of their games pretty boring to watch, but they have gotten some really nice goaltending.  Jimmy has been the best player and now he is hurt, that's unfortunate. 

My friends are way down on Blashill, if the wings miss the playoffs will he be gone? 

18 hours ago, Kacie said:

This is getting ugly.  I hate that there are so many injuries because it gives Holland a built in excuse. How can we not get a decent shot on a 5 and 3 and yet it takes opposing teams a matter of seconds to score on the Wings?  

Because our defense blows. Insightful, I know. Our talent pool at defense, both on the NHL roster and in the farm system is non-existent. Kenny has let this defense get worse and worse every year. Most of his notable moves, bringing in DeKeyser (a moved that looked solid at the time), missing out on Suter (which I've never faulted him for), thinking Ian White would be good (he wasn't), trading a 1st rounder for Quincey and bringing in Mike Green. Other than that, he's stuck to his guns and failed time and again relying on a core of Kronwall, Eriscsson and Smith to get it done. They have not clearly.

9 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Blashill might not have enough good talent to work with, but he doesn't seem like the right guy to lead the Wings at this point.  Too many players have either regressed or have not developed under Blashill, and that suggests to me there is a coaching / leadership problem.

This is where I am at.  It isn't his fault the roster isn't great, but he is obviously not the coach to lead the team even if/when the roster improves.  I was encouraged in tiny spurts this season with his player usage, but even that has just regressed back to his usual habits.  Their special teams are pretty abysmal for the second season in a row and they very rarely ever play a full 60 minutes.  

3 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Because our defense blows. Insightful, I know. Our talent pool at defense, both on the NHL roster and in the farm system is non-existent. Kenny has let this defense get worse and worse every year. Most of his notable moves, bringing in DeKeyser (a moved that looked solid at the time), missing out on Suter (which I've never faulted him for), thinking Ian White would be good (he wasn't), trading a 1st rounder for Quincey and bringing in Mike Green. Other than that, he's stuck to his guns and failed time and again relying on a core of Kronwall, Eriscsson and Smith to get it done. They have not clearly.

I'm still dumbfounded that Holland felt the defense needing no improving this past off season.  He should be fired for that alone.

10 hours ago, Euphdude said:

Agree totally with this.  It'd be nice if we could actually hope for a GM/Coaching change.  I see that as the only thing that will give this team the energy and new direction it needs.  

20 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

As bad as it seems, the Wings are only  5 points out of the last playoff spot in the division.  So a hot streak and they are fine.  It's weird watching the Wings and Leafs on a consistent basis.  Leafs are fun as heck to watch, but always collapse in the 3rd period (9 rookies, I guess I can understand that) which then makes it extremely frustrating.  Wings seem to play a very east-west game, which makes each of their games pretty boring to watch, but they have gotten some really nice goaltending.  Jimmy has been the best player and now he is hurt, that's unfortunate. 

My friends are way down on Blashill, if the wings miss the playoffs will he be gone? 

Blashill is Peter Horachek. He's not the only problem, maybe not even the main problem, but I see no reason not to get rid of him now.

As for the playoffs, I think the 5 points gap is deceptive. If all they had to do was catch Boston, or there were a few other teams around the same points total as Boston, yeah maybe there'd still be a chance. But I think that when all is said or done Tampa will move from 9th place into a playoff position comfortably. Which means the Wings would need to catch Ottawa (9 points ahead) or Philly (12 points ahead). That's not going to happen. The Wings are worse than mediocre and they are worse than a bubble team.

People on the Red Wings' subreddit like to talk about how they are only x points out of a playoff spot, but always neglect that they are 2 points from the cellar of the Eastern conference and only 9 points away from the Avs for the basement of the whole league and they've played two more games than the Avs.

While the Wings are utter crap the Griffins are having a tremendous season (first place in their division), some highlights from their last game including a goal from Svech less than a minute in (sick breakaway move after a beautiful pass from Russo who also had a goal) and a big hit and "fight" from little Joe Hicketts.  At about a minute into the video Hicketts makes an unreal play at the blue line to set up another Svechnikov goal too. 

I can't see Holland firing Blashill mid season even if it feels right, but if he did I wouldn't be mad with Todd Nelson coming up to finish the year.  He did the same with a very young Oilers team in his only NHL gig and for what he had he seemed to do an okay job.  Then you can reevaluate at the end of the year and see what coaches are on the market.  But it is but a dream....

44 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

People on the Red Wings' subreddit like to talk about how they are only x points out of a playoff spot, but always neglect that they are 2 points from the cellar of the Eastern conference and only 9 points away from the Avs for the basement of the whole league and they've played two more games than the Avs.

Leafs play the Avs tonight, and have a couple games in hand on the Wings.  Really I am just looking for the Leafs to finish ahead of the Wings for the first time since...????

3 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Leafs play the Avs tonight, and have a couple games in hand on the Wings.  Really I am just looking for the Leafs to finish ahead of the Wings for the first time since...????

If the Leafs would please lose to the Avs to improve the Red Wings lottery chances that would be great, thank you.

1 minute ago, drownwithyou said:

If the Leafs would please lose to the Avs to improve the Red Wings lottery chances that would be great, thank you.

Wouldn't you want the Leafs to win?  If the Leafs win, they pass the wings and wings have better lottery odds. 

1 minute ago, T&P_Fan said:

Wouldn't you want the Leafs to win?  If the Leafs win, they pass the wings and wings have better lottery odds. 

I'm confident in the Leafs passing the Wings regardless, less confident about the Avs ever turning it around so I want them to get as many points as they can.

I refuse to root for the Wings to lose games but I've already moved on to rooting for other teams to win to improve their lottery chances, what a season.

For the record,  I still badly want the Wings to finish ahead of the Leafs and always will, lottery be damned lol.

The Leafs had more points than the Wings in 2013, 57 to 56.

The Leafs had more points than the Wings in 1999, 99 to 93. That's the most recent full season they've finished ahead of the Wings.

The Leafs had more points than the Wings in 1990, 80 to 70.

Those are the only 3 times in the 30 years between 1987-2016 that the Leafs have finished ahead of the Wings.

Howard out 4-6 weeks. Wings currently are an NHL bottom-5 team and no reason they'll be in better position when he gets back. 

The Wings trail 3-1 after 2 in Florida. The Isles are winning 5-0 in the 3rd. Combined, that means if the results hold the Wings will be last in the Eastern Conference for Christmas.

On 12/22/2016 at 3:47 PM, lordstanley said:

For the record,  I still badly want the Wings to finish ahead of the Leafs and always will, lottery be damned lol.

The Leafs had more points than the Wings in 2013, 57 to 56.

The Leafs had more points than the Wings in 1999, 99 to 93. That's the most recent full season they've finished ahead of the Wings.

The Leafs had more points than the Wings in 1990, 80 to 70.

Those are the only 3 times in the 30 years between 1987-2016 that the Leafs have finished ahead of the Wings.

The Wings were so bad in 1990.

10 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The Wings were so bad in 1990.

Fast forward to 2016 and history repeats itself.

2 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Fast forward to 2016 and history repeats itself.

It's  because the Joe is closing.  The Wings sucked in 1980 when it opened. Glorious heights in between. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust.  Practically Biblical.