Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

NBA Info - December 2016

No Country for Big Men

The Nerlens Noel controversy in Philadelphia has highlighted a serious problem, and it’s not just a Sixers issue. Many teams are struggling with a glut of big men who find themselves displaced by modernity.

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

He lost me with Thon Maker.

The current trend of phasing out bigs is reaching the high-water mark, and it will regress in time.  Without a major rule change like eliminating zone defenses, how long will it take for tide to turn?

Just now, mickeyb105 said:

He lost me with Thon Maker.

The current trend of phasing out bigs is reaching the high-water mark, and it will regress in time.  Without a major rule change like eliminating zone defenses, how long will it take for tide to turn?

To turn the tide, you need big men who can post up, pass and defend IMO. How soon can you make enough of those?

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Shooters are getting better.

I don't argue the results are better, but I still have to have someone give a theory why the same human beings on the same court with the same ball, basket and arenas should suddenly be any better at making long shots. In most sports that kind of thing is driven by equipment or technology changes - like maple bats and harder baseballs in the MLB driving HR performance. In the absence of any of those things I still come down on the side of rule changes as the driving force at selecting a different mix of behaviours on the court or - maybe just selecting for a different mix of skills on the court.- which goes back to your point of more good shooters on a given team. Overall statistically it doesn't matter if some shooters are better than they used to be or the game has evolved to where more good shooters are playing in place of guys that had other skills - either will drive up overall shooting percentages. And in the end I guess it doesn't really make any difference in the sense that to change it you are going to do so by tweaking the rules in some way anyway so the net endpoint is the same regardless of the 'pure' cause.

And this assuming there is even any real agreement that it's a bad thing.

40 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

To turn the tide, you need big men who can post up, pass and defend IMO. How soon can you make enough of those?

That is certainly a valid question.

Point guards/facilitators that can make a good post-entry past have to come back into style as well to go along with it.

5 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

5 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

That is certainly a valid question.

Point guards/facilitators that can make a good post-entry past have to come back into style as well to go along with it.

Actually, it sort of makes sense that in a league where preparation and training that would support play at a team precision level that would produce easier shots have decreased, that a solo performance skill like distance shooting would end up having a bigger role in the game.

• Like 1

Sit down and prepare yourself for this news.  DMC was involved in some controversy last night.

First off, the guy dropped 55 on Portland shooting 17-28.

Second, he was ejected, then not ejected.

He gets ejected on this video.  The refs change their mind and bring him back out from the lockerroom to finish the game.  Crazy.

Just wait until I write mine and drop bombs on you two fools.

Nastradamus and Mickey were OK.  But every plane ride and every practice all they would do is argue about if modern players were better than players from the 80's and 90's.  

17 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Mention that I was right at least ;)

Chapter II: How Nastradamus never learned to keep his mouth shut and not argue with the coach.

• Like 2

But yeah, those books suck.

They write and leak some juicy excerpt to stoke sales.  Now Karl will do the circuit the next month saying how the comments were taken out of context.  Or his editor didn't get it right, or some other lame excuse.  

12 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Just wait until I write mine and drop bombs on you two fools.

Nastradamus and Mickey were OK.  But every plane ride and every practice all they would do is argue about if modern players were better than players from the 80's and 90's.  

raw

• Like 1