Sign in to follow this  
Sydney_Fife

How Do You Fix College Hoops?

Holy cow. I cannot watch college basketball. Awful. So, so flawed. Really feel like the game needs some serious change. 

Number 1, reduce the amount of non-conference games played. Way too many gimme games that nobody wants to watch. 

Number 2, institute a 2 year requirement for kids to stay in college. The one and done has really hurt the college game and allows kids to come into the league unprepared. I think an extra year requirement would really benefit most kids' development. It would also allow more upperclassmen a look in the league because there wouldn't be any freshman. 

Number 3, go to 4 quarters instead of halves. Awful to sit thru a 20 minute half with 4 media timeouts. 4 10 minute quarters. Could do 5 as the 1-1 bonus and 7 as the double bonus. Would help to reset fouls so teams aren't in bonus for 13 minutes  

Number 4, move the three point line back. 

Number 5, institute defensive 3 seconds. I am all for zone defense but standing in the paint not guarding anyone isn't defense. 

Number 6, make the foul out 6 not 5. 

Can it be saved?

I wonder if the new D-League changes will hurt it even more.  Remember, a kid right out of high school can enter the D-League.

New salary starting with the new CBA.  $50K-$75K per year.  Two way contracts with the NBA.  

If I'm the next Ben Simmons I go play for $75K instead of going to school.  Then I hit up the shoe companies and see if they are willing to sign me.  

I don't know if this addresses the concerns or not, but the first thing I would do if I were lord of NCAAMBB is institute that regular season champions get automatic bids to the NCAA tourney rather than conference postseason tourney champions.

1 this will never change. And I don't think it's much of a problem. It's a good opportunity for smaller teams to play good teams, and it's a good way to break in freshman into the college game. It's also about money of course. But I also don't think it is a problem. It only lasts a couple months and takes place overlapping with college football and finals and the holiday periods.

2 that's an nba requirement. High school graduates can go to college for a year, or go overseas, or go to the d league. NCAA couldn't force a kid to stay in school and shouldn't.

3 don't see how going to quarters changes much. There will always be tv timeouts and you are just adding one in the middle. The foul bonus is fine as it is. It's rare to get in the bonus so early, but it also opens up the game more by discouraging fouls.

4 they recently moved it back. I don't think it is a problem. I don't think moving it back would improve the quality of play. Just more missed shots, and the further back you move it, the harder it is for a lesser team to keep it close.

5 I think this would also benefit the elite teams at the expense of smaller schools

6 I would be fine with this. I would prefer the best players be on the court more. The bonus already discourages fouling.

11 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Can it be saved?

I wonder if the new D-League changes will hurt it even more.  Remember, a kid right out of high school can enter the D-League.

New salary starting with the new CBA.  $50K-$75K per year.  Two way contracts with the NBA.  

If I'm the next Ben Simmons I go play for $75K instead of going to school.  Then I hit up the shoe companies and see if they are willing to sign me.  

This is a valid point. If the trend continues toward each team gets its own D League team, we could soon have "minor league NBA"

Even in that instance there would still be college hoops, just like college baseball and hockey.

Get rid of the age requirement in the NBA and guys who want to go to college will and those interested in becoming pro will.

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Even in that instance there would still be college hoops, just like college baseball and hockey.

Get rid of the age requirement in the NBA and guys who want to go to college will and those interested in becoming pro will.

What would the long term outcome look like? Would the best players still want to go top NCAA programs for the short term exposure, or would there be enough talent  drain to a quicker route to the NBA that NCAA hoops would end up a non-revenue sport?  Or maybe college basketball's popularity is completely untied from its absolute play quality, which I think might be quite possible. If it meant more 4 year players I could even see that as an improvement for the college fanbase.

I think in general  football and basketball have wanted to maintain the pre-emminence of the college game as a viable feeder to save the money of running minor leagues but 'one and done' hasn't been good for that viability.

6 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If it meant more 4 year players I could even see that as an improvement for the college fanbase.

I think this is a good point. 

19 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Can it be saved?

I think Del is right--the NCAA culture and game many of us enjoyed for so long is never coming back.  The NBADL will eventually be a true minor league, and honestly, its about time.

Biggs is also right--NCAA hoops will still have its place just like baseball and hockey.  It just won't have the prestige it once did, but then again, it has been coming up short for around a decade now.

Watching Michigan tonight.  Va tech was in the bonus with 11 to go.  I think the bonus issue is a huge problem.  Perhaps the intent is to discourage fouling.  It doesn't work.  Officials have no idea how to call a charge either.  College game has issues.  

24 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Please send a memo to my wife echoing this sentiment.

Wanna go into the garage and do karate?