Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedRamage

Who is the Lions non-QB MVP this year?

42 posts in this topic

A lot of the discussion this year has been how Stafford has elevated his game and is playing out of his mind... which is 100% true.  If you had to pick an MVP for the Lions this year it's Stafford, hands down, no debate, no question.

But... who's #2?  If you have to pick an MVP runner up for the Lions so far this year... who is it? 4 weeks ago I'd have said Jones... but he's sorta slipped a bit in the last few games.  You could go with the ol' Lion cliche and say the kicker, and Prater has looked good... very good... at times, but he's also missed some extra points and some FGs too, so I'm not sure he's a good candidate.

What do you think?  Who's been the second best Lion this year?

20 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Kerry Hyder.  

Tied for 14th place in sacks this season with 7.

Hyder is a little too feast or famine for me. I might say Glover Quin, Taylor Decker or Riddick. 

Quin - Has really felt like the last line of defense. Solid tackling and few deep passes over his head. Very consistent

Decker - Has become pretty rock solid on that left side. Impressive for a rookie and key for STafford

Riddick - With no running game, he's so important to us. Tate can take his role a bit, but he's our easy small yardage guy and Stafford's security blanket. 

I can't think of one which is why Stafford should get MVP consideration if the Lions win the division.

It's not all that glamorous, but I'd make a case for Graham Glasgow.  The offensive line has been better since he replaced Laken Tomlinson, & the Lions have won 5 out of 6.

5 hours ago, RedRamage said:

Tied for 14th place in sacks this season with 7.

Look beyond just flat numbers.    He brings an energy to the team that they are lacking too often.   

If it wasn't for the first few weeks I would pick Golden Tate.  

I'd probably vote for Decker but really the offensive line as a whole is starting to pay dividends with all those high draft picks we have used.  

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

No love for Slay? He has won us 2 games at a demanding position.

Slay is a fair pick, though he missed 3 games or so

On 11/23/2016 at 2:45 PM, djhutch said:

It's not all that glamorous, but I'd make a case for Graham Glasgow.  The offensive line has been better since he replaced Laken Tomlinson, & the Lions have won 5 out of 6.

I didn't see or hear very much of the game but I was listening in the 2Q when Branstader was noting they had taken Glasgow out but he didn't look hurt and he wondered why. Since I never got to hear or see the second half I never heard if he returned or was hurt or what.

He was questionable going in. He's no MVP though. Maybe a solid G one day, but he hasnt' been anything special 

WHy give him the nod over Boldin or Riddick? I use those two because they work a similar part of the field and have missed less time. Just curious. 

10 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

WHy give him the nod over Boldin or Riddick? I use those two because they work a similar part of the field and have missed less time. Just curious. 

Ebron is tied for the team lead in rushing touchdowns.

12 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

To me it can't really be a kicker, but to each their own.

I don't mean to pick a fight, but I have never understood the whole "he's just a kicker, not a real player" thing.  The game of football is a game of taking territory. If you have someone in your arsenal that can put points on the board from long distances, or force the other team to have to drive longer distances to do so, they are an invaluable part of the team.  

I don't mean to pick a fight, but I have never understood the whole "he's just a kicker, not a real player" thing.  The game of football is a game of taking territory. If you have someone in your arsenal that can put points on the board from long distances, or force the other team to have to drive longer distances to do so, they are an invaluable part of the team.  

Yeah, I'd give it to Sam Martin too, edging out Slay.

Winning the battle of field position is how you hold teams to fewer than 20 points when you can't sustain offensive drives and you don't have consistently explosive playmakers on defense.