chasfh

The Presidency of Donald J. Trump

We might end up regretting staying in one of his hotels right after the election.

I was so sure he would lose that it never occurred to me we could be dealing with protesters.

1 minute ago, screwball said:

Why do you guys think BLM helped get Trump elected?  Serious question.

Lower- and middle-class whites thinking that they suffer too, but they're not "punks" about it.  Or something like that.  I don't think it's accurate, but that's what it is.

5 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

We've argued about this countless times on this board, but you are not wrong here. I'm a believer now. I think that the black community has legitimate grievances but am seriously questioning what (if any) endgame exists for the BLM movement.

And after last night, seeing Trump win practically every rural county in WI, MI and PA with 60%+ of the vote, the Democratic Party needs to figure out (and embrace) approaches to racial issues that unite and do not divide. What that looks like, I don't know.

I think the first thing is to get rid of the white privilege talk. I think the Democratic party needs to acknowledge and emphasize the struggles of poor whites. I would say a lot of whites feel they have been ignored and then blamed for the struggles of blacks. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TheCouga said:

Lower- and middle-class whites thinking that they suffer too, but they're not "punks" about it.  Or something like that.  I don't think it's accurate, but that's what it is.

This kind of illustrates the point. They don't think they are suffering. They are. 

• Like 1

I think the first thing is to get rid of the white privilege talk. I think the Democratic party needs to acknowledge and emphasize the struggles of poor whites. I would say a lot of whites feel they have been ignored and then blamed for the struggles of blacks. 

I agree. If Democrats can dangle some carrots to poor uneducated whites, they can win in the future.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Thanks, I don't see what he intends to do with the 20million currently insured that would lose it.

Also, he speaks of harnessing the force of the free market.... I liked that better the first time I heard it.  it's called Obamacare Healthcare exchanges. Obamacare also mandates cost transparency.

Is he replacing Obamacare with Obamacare across state lines?

2 minutes ago, screwball said:

I guess I don't get it.  But thanks, I appreciate the answers.  I was just curious.

It also worth noting that police are viewed more favorably among whites and the anti-police rhetoric from BLM doesn't help and add in rioting and these police ambush killings that have been happening lately. 

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

This kind of illustrates the point. They don't think they are suffering. They are. 

I think they suffer, but I also think they are punks about it, too.  I also still don't think they suffer as much as blacks.  The violence adds an additional element of stress.

I guess I can't draw the line from the stuff you guys are saying to a president Trump.  But I'm old and stupid, so theres always that.

One example I have is the Detroit water shutoffs. The city of Detroit starts cracking down on shutting people's water off. This leads to outcry and calls of racism since Detroit is mostly black. We have Al Sharpton visiting Detroit fanning the flames of racism and saying water should be a right. Here in Warren, that's mostly white, our water is shut off all the time if you are 30 or more days delinquent. There's no attention to us. There are white people who struggle to pay their bills. What happens is there becomes hostility when you are claiming racism towards an entire race for Detroiters not being able to pay their bills while the same thing is happening to white people. Of course they're going to bail on the Democrats. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TheCouga said:

I think they suffer, but I also think they are punks about it, too.  I also still don't think they suffer as much as blacks.  The violence adds an additional element of stress.

You continue to prove why whites are bailing on the Democratic party. 

17 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If the Democratic Party wants to at least compete (not win, just compete) in outstate WI, MI and PA in future years, they will have to address this... they don't have to win these areas, but they have spent too much time marginalizing Rural America 

27 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

We might end up regretting staying in one of his hotels right after the election.

I was so sure he would lose that it never occurred to me we could be dealing with protesters.

Protesting democracy.  Smh.

Just now, mtutiger said:

If the Democratic Party wants to at least compete (not win, just compete) in outstate WI, MI and PA in future years, they will have to address this... they don't have to win these areas, but they have spent too much time marginalizing Rural America 

It's not just rural areas. Hillary got beat pretty good in Macomb county. Although South Macomb county is changing, it's still a large working-middle class white county but it's a county Democrats can still win and have won. Detroit isn't able to sway an election as much as it used to. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

It's not just rural areas. Hillary got beat pretty good in Macomb county. Although South Macomb county is changing, it's still a large working-middle class white county but it's a county Democrats can still win and have won. Detroit isn't able to sway an election as much as it used to. 

Agreed... 

I wonder if FB has (or would release (I doubt it) the amount of un-friends today.  Or whatever you call it.  I don't do the facebook.

From my travels today, there are a bunch of distraught people.

9 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Definitely agree with this.  The privilege talk is suicidal.

8 minutes ago, Melody said:

Well, as I said, I think these protests are ridiculous...

...but at the same time, I think they are protesting a lot of the anti-Democratic planks of Donald Trump's platform.  He ran a borderline fascist campaign.

Except they are protesting Trump's policies and the oppression and division he represents.

20 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

You continue to prove why whites are bailing on the Democratic party. 

Do you realistically think that poor whites suffer with the same acuteness as poor blacks?

I don't really think it's a big deal to be comparing one or the other, but I think it's pretty objectively obvious that poor blacks still have it worse.

I think the Democrats need to somehow distance themselves from Black Lives Matter. It's like the left version of the tea party. I will admit, when I saw Michael Brown's mother at the DNC, I turned the channel. This hands up don't shoot comes off as an attack on an innocent white officer and the Democrats seemed to proudly embrace that. 

1 minute ago, TheCouga said:

Do you realistically think that poor whites suffer with the same acuteness as poor blacks?

I don't really think it's a big deal to be comparing one or the other, but I think it's pretty objectively obvious that poor blacks still have it worse.

Good luck winning white votes with that attitude. Obviously blacks are more important to Democrats with that attitude so watch the whites go vote Republican.