chasfh

The Presidency of Donald J. Trump

28 minutes ago, TheCouga said:

Honestly, though, this country could be nearing a complete and total collapse.  We just elected someone who basically campaigned openly on a fascist platform, demonized and criminalized the other side, threatened to issue religious ID cards, jail the opposition, mocked POWs, mocked those with disabilities, admitted to serially committing sex crimes, basically dodged taxes and welched on private debts for the last 30 years, started a university that was nothing more than a scam, etc.  There isn't a rule--legal, moral, or ethical--that this man will respect.

His record of managing businesses is extremely poor, too.  Don't be surprised to see the debt explode and the dollar collapse.

I'd like to think it was all an act to play the strong man just to get elected, and now he's going to pivot to reasonable behavior...but history shows that this behavior was not just limited to the election.

The main counterpoint I can think of to this is that a President has, constitutionally, not many avenues to becoming an imperial force. I suppose he could gin up a crisis that would lead to his suspending the Constitution altogether and declaring martial law, but that's risky business against an armed population if they oppose it. The way around that, I guess, would be to deputize thousands of militias around the country, but at that point we're talking literal civil war. And the only way that would make sense is if Trump is the Manchurian Candidate.

I suspect I'm not the first one to mention this, although I haven't read it anywhere: there might be a pretty decent chance Trump dies in office, meaning in an old man way. He will be the oldest person to ever take office as President at age 70; he doesn't look to be in altogether good health and he apparently eats like ****; and the stress of the office ages a person at at least twice the normal rate.

Flip side of that is, he offloads all the work stress onto virtual president Mike Pence and lives like a king instead.

I honestly think Trump will get sick of governing after about six months.  Like Sarah Palin.  He won't get sick of the spotlight.  He'll yuck it up and invite Playboy models to the White House, and maybe sexually assault a few of them.  But I'm betting Pence gets to do most of the legwork.

48 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Most Romans I encountered in Rome (and even Liegi) spoke very good English, FWIIW.

Also, if you have a moderate grasp of Spanish then Italian is pretty understandable.

I've been to Rome and haven't had issues getting by speaking English. I just think day to living would be more difficult. 

1 hour ago, pfife said:

If he renegotiated a trade deal and uses that money, as was suggested.  that would be the US paying for it with newly gained money.  That's not Mexico paying for it.

The key point being that the current administration simply won't look to renegotiate it at all. It apparently hasn't crossed their mind. So anything we get is simply found money. 

1 hour ago, TheCouga said:

I'm probably not going to have healthcare now, so I'm going to be looking to moving to a place where I can get it.

I would say that you are going to have it. He campaigned on repeal and replace. It's difficult to fully remove an entitlement program after the country has gotten used to it. Unfortunately, this one was simply not workable economically and was always scheduled to collapse on itself just as Obama left office. When you had people writing articles on that note 5 years ago, you know darn well that Obama also knew that. It was always a "let the next guy clean up my mess" kind of bill. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

I suspect I'm not the first one to mention this, although I haven't read it anywhere: there might be a pretty decent chance Trump dies in office, meaning in an old man way. He will be the oldest person to ever take office as President at age 70; he doesn't look to be in altogether good health and he apparently eats like ****; and the stress of the office ages a person at at least twice the normal rate.

Flip side of that is, he offloads all the work stress onto virtual president Mike Pence and lives like a king instead.

This has not been substantiated (and now since she didn't win, it likely never will). But several stage workers in Philly other night tweeted that she was having emergency attention while Bruce Springsteen was playing. They quickly deleted those tweets. The one guy said something like "SS taking phones". So I'm not going to get too concerned about Donald Trump's well being based on what I've seen from Hillary over the course of this campaign. I still say she has some very serious health issues.  

42 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

This has not been substantiated (and now since she didn't win, it likely never will). But several stage workers in Philly other night tweeted that she was having emergency attention while Bruce Springsteen was playing. They quickly deleted those tweets. The one guy said something like "SS taking phones". So I'm not going to get too concerned about Donald Trump's well being based on what I've seen from Hillary over the course of this campaign. I still say she has some very serious health issues.  

What does Clinton's health have to do with whether Trump will stay healthy?  He seems pretty energetic, but he does not appear healthy to me.  He is fat and has abnormal skin coloring.  He also has a history of high cholesterol and has a poor diet.   

54 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

I would say that you are going to have it. He campaigned on repeal and replace. It's difficult to fully remove an entitlement program after the country has gotten used to it. Unfortunately, this one was simply not workable economically and was always scheduled to collapse on itself just as Obama left office. When you had people writing articles on that note 5 years ago, you know darn well that Obama also knew that. It was always a "let the next guy clean up my mess" kind of bill. 

As stated earlier, they had better have their health care fix in the can... repeal is high on the GOP agenda. His white paper on the subject does not clear up whether there is going to be a cliff for those currently insured under Obamacare

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

No matter how liberal you guys think I am, I'm not a fan of these protests.  I think BLM had a huge hand in Trump winning, actually.

1 hour ago, stanpapi said:

It works decent for me right now.

1 minute ago, TheCouga said:

No matter how liberal you guys think I am, I'm not a fan of these protests.  I think BLM had a huge hand in Trump winning, actually.

Yes, this doesn't help. We have to let Trump have a crack at this, whether we like it or not.

hahahah that'd be awesome.

It's going to be fun watching the Cult of Trump spin stuff like this for the next 4 years.

Just now, screwball said:

Why do you guys think BLM helped get Trump elected?  Serious question.

Constant attention of black victims of police shootings when twice as many whites are killed without attention. The narrative then singles out whites as the bad guys and if a white person says all lives matter, they are lectured about how privileged they are. There are millions more white people living in poverty with very little hope and the Democratic party, who supports black lives matter, tells them they're privileged when they are suffering just as bad.

• Like 1

What does Clinton's health have to do with whether Trump will stay healthy?  He seems pretty energetic, but he does not appear healthy to me.  He is fat and has abnormal skin coloring.  He also has a history of high cholesterol and has a poor diet.   

Why do Trump folks care about Hillary anymore? We aren't going to hear from her again, except anecdotally.

Trump reminds me of a older, fatter Bill Clinton when he'd gorge on McDonalds. He must be getting diet tips from Chris Christie.

13 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Constant attention of black victims of police shootings when twice as many whites are killed without attention. The narrative then singles out whites as the bad guys and if a white person says all lives matter, they are lectured about how privileged they are. There are millions more white people living in poverty with very little hope and the Democratic party, who supports black lives matter, tells them they're privileged when they are suffering just as bad.

We've argued about this countless times on this board, but you are not wrong here. I'm a believer now. I think that the black community has legitimate grievances but am seriously questioning what (if any) endgame exists for the BLM movement.

And after last night, seeing Trump win practically every rural county in WI, MI and PA with 60%+ of the vote, the Democratic Party needs to figure out (and embrace) approaches to racial issues that unite and don't isolate broad swaths of the electorate. What that looks like, I don't know.