chasfh

The Presidency of Donald J. Trump

3 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I mean if you're all of the sudden going to hold everyone to what they said, are we going to deport Trump when Mexico doesn't pay for the wall?

Well, I don't think Trump qualifies for deportation, so no. 

I think he thinks a renegotiated trade deal will provide offsets that will effectively fund the wall. So will they cut a specific check? No. But that doesn't mean we won't use some savings to build it. Whether that comes to pass is another matter. 

3 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

They'll be getting that tax cut which will amount to all of a hundred bucks for them.

They can suck it up and tough it out. They're tougher than the rest of the country which is a bunch of whiners.

A lot of them aren't even getting tax cuts. They're getting tax hikes to help pay for the tax cuts their betters are getting.

Trump's tax plan could hike taxes on middle- and low-income families

1 minute ago, stanpapi said:

Well, I don't think Trump qualifies for deportation, so no. 

I think he thinks a renegotiated trade deal will provide offsets that will effectively fund the wall. So will they cut a specific check? No. But that doesn't mean we won't use some savings to build it. Whether that comes to pass is another matter. 

I'm sure that little bit of hand-waving will go over well. "Technically I didn't lie, if you dumb-asses inferred something else that's your problem."

Just now, chasfh said:

A lot of them aren't even getting tax cuts. They're getting tax hikes to help pay for the tax cuts their betters are getting.

Trump's tax plan could hike taxes on middle- and low-income families

Except alot of them already don't even pay any tax....My guess is that any disparity will be fixed on legislation. He stated his intent. 

Just now, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I'm sure that little bit of hand-waving will go over well. "Technically I didn't lie, if you dumb-asses inferred something else that's your problem."

whether they write a check or we get an offset somewhere, it's still money we didn't have to come up with.....

1 minute ago, stanpapi said:

whether they write a check or we get an offset somewhere, it's still money we didn't have to come up with.....

I will make Mexico offset some of the cost for the wall elsewhere

If it's an offset, we still paid.  we just didn't have to come up with the money.

11 minutes ago, pfife said:

If it's an offset, we still paid.  we just didn't have to come up with the money.

It depends on the offset.

16 minutes ago, pfife said:

It would still be found money, because obama sure as heck would never bothered to find it. 

I do have to give obama credit- if he does what he said he would do today- provide professional transition akin to what George Bush did for him (which he said was the most professionally run, well ordered transition in history), that's great. I do not, however, think he will do the other thing George Bush did....keep his mouth totally shut about his successor. 

Technically, what Trump has alluded to with respect to the wall, was that he would go after the remittances... ie the money that (mostly) illegals earn in the US and then send back to the their relatives out of country.  That is $20-25 Billion per year.  If they actually take that route, this alone would be a big disincentive for them to come into the country illegally.  

And if the wall with Mexico costs $10 billion, it would seem to be able to cover it, too. 

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Think America will let you take your money with you? Better hurry before they get a bright idea like legislating a limit that you can move to a foreign county with, like maybe $500, and making you forfeit the rest to help balance the stupid f***ing budget.

I don't have any money anyways. That may be my hold up. I did speak to my grandmother today and she was in tears about this election but she's going to try to get hers and my grandfathers birth certificates and send them to me. 

With a $2.3 Trillion GDP, Mexico should be able to afford the wall paid over a number of years, without too much trouble. 

But if we carved out $10 billion from the remittances, that would probably cause quite the economic debacle for them.  

The Mexican government with all their issues is going to build a wall to make Americans feel safe. I also believe a wall that size will cost more than $10 billion. 

2 hours ago, belcherboy said:

Should be an interesting 4 or possibly 8 years! I wonder how long this thread will become? 

I would really take the under on 4 years right now.  He's going to get sick of it halfway through and resign and just let Pence take over.  Or he'll commit some high crime and be arrested.

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

And Italy plus one. 

If one of your parents were born there, gaining citizenship in Italy is very easy.

Just now, rhino said:

If one of your parents were born there, gaining citizenship in Italy is very easy.

Both of my grandparents were born there and my mother was born an Italian citizen and still has Italian citizenship so it appears I have an easy track to citizenship. I would have liked to gained citizenship to Italy and move to London but it appears the UK has nutcases like the US. 

1 hour ago, stanpapi said:

I was equally irritated when Obama came into office. But the sun always comes up. I'd never move because this is still the best country in the world, no matter who runs it. But that's just me. I respect others who have different viewpoints. Except Cher, because she is just a nut. 

Honestly, though, this country could be nearing a complete and total collapse.  We just elected someone who basically campaigned openly on a fascist platform, demonized and criminalized the other side, threatened to issue religious ID cards, jail the opposition, mocked POWs, mocked those with disabilities, admitted to serially committing sex crimes, basically dodged taxes and welched on private debts for the last 30 years, started a university that was nothing more than a scam, etc.  There isn't a rule--legal, moral, or ethical--that this man will respect.

His record of managing businesses is extremely poor, too.  Don't be surprised to see the debt explode and the dollar collapse.

I'd like to think it was all an act to play the strong man just to get elected, and now he's going to pivot to reasonable behavior...but history shows that this behavior was not just limited to the election.

45 minutes ago, ballmich said:

It depends on the offset.

If he renegotiated a trade deal and uses that money, as was suggested.  that would be the US paying for it with newly gained money.  That's not Mexico paying for it.

I looked at living in another country years ago.  Just to do it, nothing political and eventually we will probably retire out of the country.

One of the big things that stopped me before.  I was still going to have to pay taxes here even though I wasn't living here.

Now this would be something interesting that he could consider early in his presidency. Tweet from 2013:

2 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I looked at living in another country years ago.  Just to do it, nothing political and eventually we will probably retire out of the country.

One of the big things that stopped me before.  I was still going to have to pay taxes here even though I wasn't living here.

I had been looking into this before the election but this election has lit a fire under my ***. Only reason I even looked into is because I have an easy path to citizenship. Finances and my health are going to play a big role. The language issue is going to be big especially now that I can't get to the UK.

7 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I had been looking into this before the election but this election has lit a fire under my ***. Only reason I even looked into is because I have an easy path to citizenship. Finances and my health are going to play a big role. The language issue is going to be big especially now that I can't get to the UK.

Most Romans I encountered in Rome (and even Liegi) spoke very good English, FWIIW.

Also, if you have a moderate grasp of Spanish then Italian is pretty understandable.

I'm probably not going to have healthcare now, so I'm going to be looking to moving to a place where I can get it.

• Like 1