chasfh

The Presidency of Donald J. Trump

2 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

he is going to get us all killed, but in a different way than I thought

Trump is so ignorant that you have to be careful what you tell him. From what I've read there are a lot of factors and not all are well understood but it is a fact that once the calendar gets toward summer,, flu like viruses do propagate much less efficiently. But it's obviously more complex than just the sun and warm because MERS is a corona virus that is persistant on the Arabian Penninsula where it is hot all the time.

3 hours ago, CMRivdog said:

Decorum flew out the window when a Republican Congressman was praised for shouting “You Lie” at a State of the Union Address”

But maybe you were too young to remember. 

No, I'm not too young to remember. I don't support anyone yelling during the state of the union- no matter what party yells it.

Fire another Cabinet Secretary...cool.  Because he's a stable genius.

Just now, Oblong said:

Saluting? Since when do civilians salute?

Lou Dobbs wears an American flag lapel pin and hates foreigners so he's a great patriot.

31 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Lou Dobbs wears an American flag lapel pin and hates foreigners so he's a great patriot.

The rhetoric that comes from of Dobbs and the other Trump sycophants reminds me of nothing so much as all those possessed characters in C.S Lewis' classic Perelandra trilogy. Lewis captured exactly the aggressive, obstinate dissociation from reality/truth that we are seeing embodied before us. He actually captured what we see in Trump much closer than Orwell. In Orwell's dystopia the state manipulated truth to rational (if malevolent) ends. Trumpism revels in falsehood for its own sake. 

I just hope all of DC doesn't get swallowed by an earthquake in Trump's denouement.

I spent time last week with some in laws in Vegas.  Brother and sister in law.  They live in Dallas area.  They are conservative but not crazy or anything.  But I got a sense of why they and many others think the way they do.  It's not about intelligence.  It's that same bubble.  It's not even by design.  They are cord cutters.  They don't have satellite radio.  He listens to talk radio all day driving to work in that Dallas traffic, sitting at his desk, and driving home.  Who's on AM talk radio?  They are both regular church goers.  Abortion is important to them.  So is the economy.  When you don't consume twitter and online media all day like we do here then you don't necessarily see all the garbage that we do.

But they aren't bad people at all.  They are good.  She's done several missionary trips to Africa.  

On 1/22/2020 at 8:19 PM, pfife said:

I hear people say there's no crime in the articles - it's right there, 1st sentence of paragraph 2 of Article 1.   Furthermore, that this happened isn't even in dispute - the WH released a memorandum of the call saying he did it.

And the crime here is?    Specifically?    Unpresidential behavior?  Yes.   Unfair play? Yes.  But a criminal act?  I defer to you.

4 hours ago, Oblong said:

I spent time last week with some in laws in Vegas.  Brother and sister in law.  They live in Dallas area.  They are conservative but not crazy or anything.  But I got a sense of why they and many others think the way they do.  It's not about intelligence.  It's that same bubble.  It's not even by design.  They are cord cutters.  They don't have satellite radio.  He listens to talk radio all day driving to work in that Dallas traffic, sitting at his desk, and driving home.  Who's on AM talk radio?  They are both regular church goers.  Abortion is important to them.  So is the economy.  When you don't consume twitter and online media all day like we do here then you don't necessarily see all the garbage that we do.

But they aren't bad people at all.  They are good.  She's done several missionary trips to Africa.  

I know some good people who support Trump. One of them coincidentally has also done missionary trips to Africa and other countries.  She thinks he is a jerk, but says his policies are good for her small private business.  Other friends are a bit more Trumpy, but I have known them a long time and they are good people aside from politics.  I don't think they see the same Trump that we do.  They don't see all his tweets and such.  They see him as a businessman who gets stuff done.     

4 hours ago, Oblong said:

They rehabilitated the West Germans after the war

1 hour ago, shabba4detroit said:

And the crime here is?    Specifically?    Unpresidential behavior?  Yes.   Unfair play? Yes.  But a criminal act?  I defer to you.

https://www.fec.gov/regulations/110-20/2019-annual-110#110-20-a

§ 110.20 Prohibition on contributions, donations, expenditures, independent expenditures, and disbursements by foreign nationals (52 U.S.C. 30121, 36 U.S.C. 510).

FEC Chair:

https://www.vox.com/2019/10/4/20898491/trump-foreign-solicitation-ukraine-china-fec-ellen-weintraub

On Friday’s edition of Morning Joe, FEC chair Ellen Weintraub declined to talk about the specifics of Trump’s case but noted that “the law is pretty clear. ... It is absolutely illegal for anyone to solicit, accept, or receive anything of value from a foreign national in connection with any election in the United States.”

Others:

https://campaignlegal.org/update/yes-president-trump-violated-campaign-finance-law-asking-ukraine-favor

The statute doesn't say "anything of value."  It says "contribution or donation, " with references to "expenditures" and "disbursements," and clearly seems to be Iimited to financial assistance to a candidate or campaign.  

It would not be illegal under it  for, say, a foreign national to endorse or speak favorably of an American candidate.  Many Americans, and sometimes  our government, express what we would prefer to be the  results of foreign elections.  Nothing wrong with that.  And nothing that President Trump did involved soliciting or accepting a contribution or donation from a foreign source.  He just asked a foreign leader to look into the activities of some American crooks who operated in that leader's country.  Seems perfectly legitimate to me.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, six-hopper said:

The statute doesn't say "anything of value."  It says "contribution or donation, " with references to "expenditures" and "disbursements," and clearly seems to be Iimited to financial assistance to a candidate or campaign.  

"clearly seems" like I'm going with the FEC chairman on this one chief no offense