chasfh

The Presidency of Donald J. Trump

I managed to buy a bank owned foreclosure in 2009 and it has quadrupled in value. Didn't even have to file bankruptcy. I'm a better real estate investor than Donald Trump.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

I managed to buy a bank owned foreclosure in 2009 and it has quadrupled in value. Didn't even have to file bankruptcy. I'm a better real estate investor than Donald Trump.

Yes I think that you probably are.  Your net worth has increased, and you did not stiff any employees, or the local florist, caterer or linen service.

18 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Exactly, and note i'm not saying folks have a predestined path.  In your response you were mostly talking about how the choice you made in college, changed how your life went.  I'm talking well before you even got there.  Some other aspects in your life guided you towards deciding on college in the first place.  Ultimately you still had to do the work to get where you are, but you likely had some foundation that made you believe that's what you *should* be doing anyway. 

Yup.

I like to say the best thing that happened to me was I that I was born the 6th of 9 kids.

This meant my parents both had a lot of experience parenting by the time I came along and it also meant that because they were so busy raising 9 kids that unless I needed discipline or guidance, they let me pursue what I wanted without micromanaging the thing.  Basically, as long as they weren't getting a call from the teacher or a cop, they stayed the **** out of the way and let me do my thing.  Which happened to be precisely what I needed.

I work with highly talented individuals who are pushing 50 and are having what I would term a life crisis.  Not a mid-life crisis.  A life crisis.  As in questioning everything they have done in their life including their choice in life partner, because everything they did for a long time was to please mom or dad, who laid out that predestined path for them, and now they are 50 and they realize all giving up on music / not dating that girl at the diner / not moving to the west coast solely to please their parents has done was leave them a lifetime of regrets.

It is gutting to me because these are good people.  Talented people.  Intellegent.  And miserable.

29 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

I wouldn't go quite that far, just don't want to hear them saying how deserving or self made they are if that's not truly the case.  

Yes, I was over generalizing.  

4 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Yup.

I like to say the best thing that happened to me was I that I was born the 6th of 9 kids.

This meant my parents both had a lot of experience parenting by the time I came along and it also meant that because they were so busy raising 9 kids that unless I needed discipline or guidance, they let me pursue what I wanted without micromanaging the thing.  Basically, as long as they weren't getting a call from the teacher or a cop, they stayed the **** out of the way and let me do my thing.  Which happened to be precisely what I needed.

I work with highly talented individuals who are pushing 50 and are having what I would term a life crisis.  Not a mid-life crisis.  A life crisis.  As in questioning everything they have done in their life including their choice in life partner, because everything they did for a long time was to please mom or dad, who laid out that predestined path for them, and now they are 50 and they realize all giving up on music / not dating that girl at the diner / not moving to the west coast solely to please their parents has done was left them a lifetime of regrets.

I'm 3rd of 7, so I can relate. The first two were headstrong and lippy and wore my mom out, so by the time it came to me she was like, yeah, whatever. Although the cops and principals did call more than I would have liked ... ^_^

The second best thing that happened to me was a tie between:

a. being so bad at baseball I knew there was no shot of ever starting for my HS team, let alone play professionally, so I let that dream go early, and

b. no girls were interested in me in high school.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ewsieg said:

Exactly, and note i'm not saying folks have a predestined path.  In your response you were mostly talking about how the choice you made in college, changed how your life went.  I'm talking well before you even got there.  Some other aspects in your life guided you towards deciding on college in the first place.  Ultimately you still had to do the work to get where you are, but you likely had some foundation that made you believe that's what you *should* be doing anyway. 

Nicely said. An underappreciated aspect of being in the class of means is the luxury of having the option to decide on college in the first place. Not many of that class contemplate that as anything other than a given.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

a. being so bad at baseball I knew there was no shot of ever starting for my HS team, let alone play professionally, and

b. no girls were interested in me in high school.

Apropos of nothing, I have sort of the opposite problem: I've been just good enough at ball that I keep playing at risk to my body. Three knee surgeries in my 50s later—two of them ACL reconstructions—I'm still planning to run out there at fantasy camp next month.

I would have been better off with your "problem".

2 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

a. being so bad at baseball I knew there was no shot of ever starting for my HS team, let alone play professionally, so I let that dream go early, and

b. no girls were interested in me in high school, because, well, self explanatory.

I went to a catholic high school so it was all boys. I think it explains why I struggle with relationships in my 30's.

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Apropos of nothing, I have sort of the opposite problem: I've been just good enough at ball that I keep playing at risk to my body. Three knee surgeries in my 50s later—two of them ACL reconstructions—I'm still planning to run out there at fantasy camp next month.

I would have been better off with your "problem".

I was the sort that would have played ****-kicker independent ball into my late 20's if I thought there was *any* shot at making it to the show.

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I went to a catholic high school so it was all boys. I think it explains why I struggle with relationships in my 30's.

Had I attended an all boy HS, I suspect I would have deluded myself into believing the only reason I didn't date was the HS, and college would have been more devastating for me :)

6 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Had I attended an all boy HS, I suspect I would have deluded myself into believing the only reason I didn't date was the HS, and college would have been more devastating for me :)

I crashed and burned in college. Going to an all male catholic high school did not prepare me for college. Lots of others had success but not me.

I blame the lack of alcohol for my lack of success with girls in HS.   Not enough drunk girls around me and not enough alcohol in me to screw up the courage to introduce myself to them.

In the Air Force and in College I had plenty of both.  Even then it was plenty complicated and stupid.  This is why many people stay married.  Stuff is hard. 

• Like 1

Happy New Year to all.

I hope everyone has a healthy and joyous 2020.

I hope we can find some more common ground in 2020.

On 12/30/2019 at 11:44 AM, ROMAD1 said:

This is why many people stay married.

Don't let your SO see that one Romad, or she will have you back in the stew!  :silly:

51 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Happy New Year to all.

I hope everyone has a healthy and joyous 2020.

I hope we can find some more common ground in 2020.

I hope so too, but I'm not optimistic.  Happy New Year to you as well.  To the last line all I can think of is this (don't take it personal);

2 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Don't let your SO see that one Romad, or she will have you back in the stew!  :silly:

Oh, nobody else would have either of us.  We are compatible nerds.

1 minute ago, CMRivdog said:

Reagan believed in the post World War II foreign policy consensus. 

Did Rudy just say he’s willing to prosecute Trump for racketeering?

41 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

Did Rudy just say he’s willing to prosecute Trump for racketeering?

Huh...he's probably...and I say that with hesitation, thinking prosecuting Biden for whatever fever dream they have cooked up to accuse him of.   He's also an alcoholic.

• Haha 1