chasfh

The Presidency of Donald J. Trump

I don't have any philosophical problem with a country paying a fair share for the cost of our providing defense for it. The fly in this ointment, of course, is lack of transparency of the details from the "most transparent administration in history".

I also have absolutely no trust in what this administration will do with that extra money.   This is the administration that created a fake emergency to pilfer from the US Military to build a wall that yesterday they  admitted is not being built, and I've yet to see where the pilfered money is being spent.

8 minutes ago, chasfh said:

I don't have any philosophical problem with a country paying a fair share for the cost of our providing defense for it. The fly in this ointment, of course, is lack of transparency of the details from the "most transparent administration in history".

the goal is not to get SK to pay its "fair share" - the goal is to get SK to ask us to leave, which is the greatest gift Doofus could give Kim.

1 minute ago, RatkoVarda said:

the goal is not to get SK to pay its "fair share" - the goal is to get SK to ask us to leave, which is the greatest gift Doofus could give Kim.

You may well be right. I was responding to the letter of the tweet.

Here's a thought: Kim Jong-Un is said to be worth $5 billion. Giving the benefit of the doubt to Trump that he is attempting to destroy our country for money rather than out some cartoonishly evil intent, how much would it take for Kim to pay Trump to pull us entirely out of South Korea? A few hundred million? A billion? Even a couple billion, enough for Trump to wet all the beaks he needs to in order to make it so, would still leave Kim enough wealth to impose his will in the Koreas unchecked, where he stands to make his investment back and them some by a factor of multiples.

8 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

I agree, thanks for posting this, it didn't cross my mind.

10 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

A plausible scenario given Trump's affinity for Kim.  Congress isn't going to let us leave SK though...and rightfully so.

On 11/15/2019 at 10:05 AM, pfife said:

I also have absolutely no trust in what this administration will do with that extra money.   This is the administration that created a fake emergency to pilfer from the US Military to build a wall that yesterday they  admitted is not being built, and I've yet to see where the pilfered money is being spent.

It probably goes to a similar place as the 2020 campaign donations.  

Awesome. The Attorney General that my tax dollars help pay thinks I'm an enemy of the state.

An all-in traitor to the people of the USA.

I’ll see your deplorable and raise to despicable.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mtutiger said:

Awesome. The Attorney General that my tax dollars help pay thinks I'm an enemy of the state.

The Attorney General can go **** himself.

• Thanks 2

Just now, mtutiger said:

In B4 the "Edwards was up 25 till Trump showed up..." tweet

Everything he touches dies

36 minutes ago, mtutiger said:
Love it....

Trump has been a blessing to Ds at the state and local level in a way similar to how Obama and Hillary were for Rs. The GOP will need to tread water carefully if Trump wins in 2020, as it would continue if not accelerate D prominence in those state and local elections they’ve worked hard and spent a lot of money to win. 

Jon Tester still holds the record for red state politician surviving the most Trump interventions in a campaign. But Edwards has to be up there too... he spent a lot of time (three trips!) trying to flip LA and I doubt it made a difference at all.

The whole gambit is predicated on the suburbs voting the way they did in 2016. Increasingly looking like a bad bet

Same as it ever was...

19 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

The whole gambit is predicated on the suburbs voting the way they did in 2016. Increasingly looking like a bad bet

I like this comment:

Just as rural northern whites are starting to vote like their southern counterparts, southern suburbanites are starting to vote like their northern counterparts.

and I think it is true. With mass media, culture in the US that used to be regionalized is now nationalized. But that has not created cultural homogeneity, it has simply redistributed the dominant regional cultures nationally. Back in the day the "South" was the south primarily because it was more rural than the North, etc. The exception is that the racial legacy overlay is missing in northern "rural" culture. However, the 'rural' north is so overwhelmingly white that individual race ignorance has the same affect in making modern racial equity issues like institutional bias largely unintelligible to those northern rural voters.

10 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

interesting development

Pretty obvious Trump wants the economy pumped up for 2020. Thing is, even if Powell would play, it's probably too late for anything the Fed does to have much effect. The lag on most monetary policy shifts as they percolate through investment decisions is at least a year. There would have to be some very fast fiscal shot in the form of a withholding holiday or investment tax credit or the like, and that would have to come from Congress and he's not going to  get that from the HOR.