chasfh

The Presidency of Donald J. Trump

6 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/paula-white-trump-spiritual-advisor-demonic-networks-2019-6

Trump's spiritual adviser preaches that God will reward believers with material wealth.  You can't make this stuff up. 

Matthew 7:15
“Beware of false prophets, who come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ravenous wolves.

But all scripture apparently does not apply to GOPChristians

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

He's already done it for Virginia. Virginia is the California of the east coast. There is no quality here. He's barely trying now. I was expecting some of his classics like it was a Mafia style hit job, or they were being bussed in from even redder West Virginia, or that the governorship doesn't even matter.  

State and local election losses will continue to pile up as long as the GOP lets their entire brand be defined by Trump and Trumpism.  GOP candidates at all levels are in a tough position doing into 2020 though - they must either embrace Trumpism and hope enough of the base shows up to counteract the motivated opposition, or they run as their own person and risk drawing Trump's Twitter ire and a resulting backlash from the base.

11 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

https://www.businessinsider.com/paula-white-trump-spiritual-advisor-demonic-networks-2019-6

Trump's spiritual adviser preaches that God will reward believers with material wealth.  You can't make this stuff up. 

The prosperity gospel has been around for decades, and is a common interpretation of the bible used by televangelists to swindle good people out of their hard earned money.  The Trump family has plenty of hucksters, so it's a natural fit.

45 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

the great thing about the 17 point defense.  Is it reflects her fear that Trump will blame her. 

I think it's hilarious that being down 17 points is some sort of defense of anything anywhere.   What was the saying, soft bigotry of low expectations?

The Trump family went to Norman Vincent Peale’s church when he was young. Peale officiated at the wedding of Donald and Ivana. He was one of first preaching the “Prosperity Gospel” and one of the early televangelists

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

not a cult

It's also an effect of being a prominent celebrity for decades before entering politics.  A lot of his supporters developed pre-conceived notions about Trump based on his media appearances in the 80s and 90s, and from what they saw of him on The Apprentice.

4 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

It's also an effect of being a prominent celebrity for decades before entering politics.  A lot of his supporters developed pre-conceived notions about Trump based on his media appearances in the 80s and 90s, and from what they saw of him on The Apprentice.

Interestingly enough, Trump was a Democrat in the 80's and 90's and paled around with the Clintons.

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

and probably not a 'swing' voter

I'd say not.  She's a very solid red voter and / or someone who dislikes Dems, and is willing to justify bad behavior to support her choice.

6 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

That's where my notions came from too.  

Just now, tiger337 said:

That's where my notions came from too.  

Mine as well.  I remember thinking Trump was cool when I was a kid, and that's something I subconsciously carried with me until The Apprentice aired.

I never thought he was cool.  I always thought he was a superficial douchebag.  My impressions have gradually worsened over the years.  The only thing that has surprised me since he emerged as a Presidential candidate is how inarticulate and incoherent he is, but I think that is a new problem.  

I used to think he was hilarious.  Jim Rome had a sound clip that he played often where he basically took only the insults he cast at Rosie Odonnell from a long rant.  It was about 2 minutes and was just burn after burn after burn.  It was hilarious.   Then Trump turned that on our country.   Screw that SOB.

12 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I never thought he was cool.  I always thought he was a superficial douchebag.  My impressions have gradually worsened over the years.  The only thing that has surprised me since he emerged as a Presidential candidate is how inarticulate and incoherent he is, but I think that is a new problem.  

When I was younger I thought he was playing a a-hole/arrogant/obnoxious character for ratings. Now I realize that is just who he is.

• Like 1

Perception definitely changes based on age.  For me I knew of him in the 80's when he was the NY real estate guy who wrote a book... he was like Lee Iacocca.  I'd see him around boxing and wresting stuff.  He was in the tabloids a lot.   His controversy was basically around him being a cheater on his wife and people like Letterman would mock him.  But he was harmless.  I didn't watch any of the Apprentice stuff so I don't know of that... then it seemed like when Obama got elected he started going on the networks to rip on him and discuss policy.  When you see those clips he sounds more normal than he does now.  Now he sounds like he's got dementia and has motor skill problems.  He walks funny.  He stands funny.  Not unusual for a guy his age with his lack of self discipline when ti comes to diet and exercise.  I"m surprised he's still alive.

10 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Perception definitely changes based on age.  For me I knew of him in the 80's when he was the NY real estate guy who wrote a book... he was like Lee Iacocca.  I'd see him around boxing and wresting stuff.  He was in the tabloids a lot.   His controversy was basically around him being a cheater on his wife and people like Letterman would mock him.  But he was harmless.  I didn't watch any of the Apprentice stuff so I don't know of that... then it seemed like when Obama got elected he started going on the networks to rip on him and discuss policy.  When you see those clips he sounds more normal than he does now.  Now he sounds like he's got dementia and has motor skill problems.  He walks funny.  He stands funny.  Not unusual for a guy his age with his lack of self discipline when ti comes to diet and exercise.  I"m surprised he's still alive.

I don't watch much TV and never saw more of the apprentice than it's ads so other than knowing the name and remembering the Marla Maples reporting the only  time I had ever heard him speak at any length was one of his Howard Stern appearances (which is also weird because that may the only time I have ever seen Howard Stern - it guess it was on somewhere I couldn't avoid it....). But that was enough to make it pretty clear he as a puss-bucket.

19 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

When I was younger I thought he was playing a a-hole/arrogant/obnoxious character for ratings. Now I realize that is just who he is.

It's both.  

1 hour ago, Euphdude said:

I agree. I'll bet their view of Trump coming into the election was 100% based on the Apprentice and his benign cameos on TV shows and movies.

1 hour ago, Euphdude said:

Mine as well.  I remember thinking Trump was cool when I was a kid, and that's something I subconsciously carried with me until The Apprentice aired.

I was a subscriber to Spy Magazine when you were a kid, and that's how I got my first and lasting impressions of Trump.

35 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

What's the famous Maya Angelou saying - when someone shows you who they are, believe them

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

Prosperity gospel is the only gospel that could possibly make any sense to Donald Trump.

And the continuing popularity of the Prosperity gospel is easy to understand. It is the perfect scam for avaricious preachers. The more they are able to extort from their flock for themselves, the more it proves their piety. Rinse - repeat.