chasfh

The Presidency of Donald J. Trump

3 hours ago, Euphdude said:

It’s white nationalism out in the open and promoted by the White House. A spade is a spade. 

I don't know what to say about this.  I personally don't think Trump is as racist as most of you believe.  I definitely don't think he's a good guy and think it's more about power and money for him.  Meaning, if Ivanka wanted to divorce a white jew in favor of Kanye, I think he would be 100% for it.  It would be all over TMZ, how awesome would that be!  

5 hours ago, ewsieg said:

Meaning, if Ivanka wanted to divorce a white jew in favor of Kanye, I think he would be 100% for it.  It would be all over TMZ, how awesome would that be!  

Again, "I have many black friends" is pretty common defense for a reason...

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ewsieg said:

I don't know what to say about this.  I personally don't think Trump is as racist as most of you believe.  I definitely don't think he's a good guy and think it's more about power and money for him.  Meaning, if Ivanka wanted to divorce a white jew in favor of Kanye, I think he would be 100% for it.  It would be all over TMZ, how awesome would that be!  

I don't know what else to call someone with the overall body of evidence Trump has.  He runs on policies and rhetoric that says we need more white people and less brown people and Muslims.  He is a white nationalist at a minimum.

• Thanks 1

And that's just his behavior as a politician.   

4 minutes ago, pfife said:

And that's just his behavior as a politician.   

All the little racists on Red State streets, love it when The Bigot goes tweet, tweet, tweet

I guess I would counter that I don't think the standard is he would be ok in the hypothetical with his ex marrying a famous black man because it would bring him attention.

I don't know why he should or would care in the first place, or what he could conceivably do in the second presuming he did care.

In any event, I'd suggest the standard should be he doesn't care who marries who, independent of whether he stands to benefit.

18 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

I don't know what else to call someone with the overall body of evidence Trump has.  He runs on policies and rhetoric that says we need more white people and less brown people and Muslims.  He is a white nationalist at a minimum.

I think the idea may be that someone needs to come right out and drop the n-word a bunch in order to be a racist? 

Racism doesn't have to be overt in order to be racism.

Just now, mtutiger said:

I think the idea may be that someone needs to come right out and drop the n-word a bunch in order to be a racist? 

The n-word is a litmus test for a lot of white people.  Racist cctions and behaviors are overlooked as long as the white person in question doesn't say it.

It's clear beyond doubt Trump and his administration want more whites and less non-whites.  They are sending those signals out publicly, which they wouldn't do if they didn't think it could be a winning strategy in 2020.  MAGA = MAWA.

It seems like your argument is:

"In this world I made up where a bunch of things I made up happen, Trump isn't a racist".

What am I missing?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, pfife said:

"In this world I made up where a bunch of things I made up happen, Trump isn't a racist".

What am I missing?

I think there are a lot of people who are in denial about the probability of a racist POTUS in 2019.  They believe racism was an issue for their parents and grandparents, and their age group has moved beyond it.  It's true that the US made progress on the racial front by electing a person of color as POTUS twice....it's also true those eight years and the presidency after it has shown that racism is still as much an issue today as it was for our parents and grandparents.

I heard Susan page on Hardball make a bizarro argument that Trump hopes that latino voters who love the economy will be with him.

That's the sort of argument that W Bush might have made in 2003/2004 based on his being a Texan with a Mexican nephew and sister in law.  Not something a Trump could do after a 3 year comprehensive war on brown people.

2 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

I heard Susan page on Hardball make a bizarro argument that Trump hopes that latino voters who love the economy will be with him.

That's the sort of argument that W Bush might have made in 2003/2004 based on his being a Texan with a Mexican nephew and sister in law.  Not something a Trump could do after a 3 year comprehensive war on brown people.

I was listening to that too on my bike ride last night.  I seriously said wtf yeah right.

5 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

I think there are a lot of people who are in denial about the probability of a racist POTUS in 2019.  They believe racism was an issue for their parents and grandparents, and their age group has moved beyond it.  It's true that the US made progress on the racial front by electing a person of color as POTUS twice....it's also true those eight years and the presidency after it has shown that racism is still as much an issue today as it was for our parents and grandparents.

They all said Obama was racist though, Glen Beck said it on his show

21 minutes ago, pfife said:

What am I missing?

Yeah - only willful blindness or ignorance (or agreement!) can explain anyone who doesn't see Trump's racism. You hardly need to go more than a couple days at a time without prima facia evidence of Trump's racism gobsmacking you in the nose. Heck, the president who didn't fire Cuccinelli within ten minutes after the CNN interview yesterday just proved his racism again.

1 minute ago, pfife said:

They all said Obama was racist though, Glen Beck said it on his show

I must have missed when Obama said that white people were murderers and rapists, and the Ellis Island poem says "Give me your tired and your poor -- as long as they are from non-white countries".

In all seriousness -- those who said Obama was racist were projecting, and are among the MAWA base today.

27 minutes ago, pfife said:

What am I missing?

There's also the "advocating on behalf of my black friend's black friend who was arrested in a foreign country".....

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Chris Rock's joke fits well here, and with a lot of the apologists: 

What do you gotta do to be racist now? Shoot Medgar Evers?

13 hours ago, Euphdude said:

It’s white nationalism out in the open and promoted by the White House. A spade is a spade. 

If a spade is a spade, then let's use a stronger, more direct, better descriptive term than "white nationalism".

9 hours ago, ewsieg said:

If Trump were not as racist as we believe, then he wouldn't be disparaging an entire country of people of color as rapists who bring drugs and crimes, countries which are primarily people of color as "****hole" countries, and he himself wouldn't use the term "racist" exclusively against people of color.

Come on.

9 hours ago, ewsieg said:

At the very least, he is a sociopath who uses racism as a tool.  I don't think the distinction between racism and using racism as a tool matters. Why does it matter to you if he is called racist or not?