chasfh

The Presidency of Donald J. Trump

I think those who pull the strings behind the scenes (oligarchs and donor classes) will fight to keep any president from politicizing the Federal Reserve, and I have to agree with them if that's the case.

3 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

I think those who pull the strings behind the scenes (oligarchs and donor classes) will fight to keep any president from politicizing the Federal Reserve, and I have to agree with them if that's the case.

Indeed. The independence of Central Bankers was pretty hard won wisdom in the history of the industrialized world. Would be shame to let an idiot like Trump throw it away.

8 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Indeed. The independence of Central Bankers was pretty hard won wisdom in the history of the industrialized world. Would be shame to let an idiot like Trump throw it away.

CB independence is wise, but I doubt altruism would be the motivation behind oligarch opposition to Fed politicization.  The loss of wealth, economic depression, and resulting passing of legislation that would weaken their power and distribute wealth more evenly would be their true motivations.

3 minutes ago, Euphdude said:

CB independence is wise, but I doubt altruism would be the motivation behind oligarch opposition to Fed politicization.  The loss of wealth, economic depression, and resulting passing of legislation that would weaken their power and distribute wealth more evenly would be their true motivations.

I think it's a case where self-interest and altruism align. Politically controlled currency produces economic chaos. (Here SB will insist that CBs produce chaos as well, but there are degrees of bad!) That is bad for all segments of society and probably at least as much the poor who have less resource to deal with economic instability.

8 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

you can't make it up

Pretty pathetic, isn’t it?

For someone of such strength, he sure whines and cries a lot.

35 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

For someone of such strength, he sure whines and cries a lot.

If Obama had done a tenth of what Trump did, Trump himself would be throwing fits on Twitter, and his propaganda outlets would have called for impeachment years ago.

4 hours ago, Oblong said:

Jay Powell is literally his person, Trump appointed him.

Sometimes the dumb is so painful.

2 minutes ago, pfife said:

Jay Powell is literally his person, Trump appointed him.

Sometimes the dumb is so painful.

What remains of the establishment GOP and the donor class they report to won't let Trump do anything substantial with the Federal Reserve.  Don't surprised to see the Senate GOP take up legislation to remove unchecked tariff power from the President either.

Why is the ******* President doing call-ins on ******* CNBC?

21 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

He’s ******* up his relationship with the donor class (business, wealthy, oligarchs) and he’s doing damage control. That plus too much Executive Time. 

4 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think it's a case where self-interest and altruism align. Politically controlled currency produces economic chaos. (Here SB will insist that CBs produce chaos as well, but there are degrees of bad!) That is bad for all segments of society and probably at least as much the poor who have less resource to deal with economic instability.

I don't know if I would use the word chaos, but politically controlled currency (your words, I would use monetary policy) would be a mess.  That's a age old argument of who should set policy, politicos or Fed people.  Yet the president appoints the Fed chair, and the Fed governors, all confirmed by congress.  They have failed us miserably for quite some time; hence the wealth disparity we are so aware of.

The last "decent" Fed chair was Paul Volcker; the crop since him are mutations who escaped from planet Bubble.

44 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

He's watching the hot chicks, reading headlines with the sound muted, like everyone else does for that channel.  "The Best in Business Worldwide" really isn't.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Omg. I’ve never seen that guy before.  

Freaking hilarious!😂

He's really good.  Great delivery.  

3 hours ago, screwball said:

He's watching the hot chicks, reading headlines with the sound muted, like everyone else does for that channel.  "The Best in Business Worldwide" really isn't.

Watching hot chicks for sure, but I doubt he mutes the sound.  He wants to hear what they are saying about him.  

17 hours ago, screwball said:

it's on the TVs at my work in the lobby... muted.

He apparently leaves the volume up for his propaganda channel

34 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Tariffs are none of the things he claims.

It's up to Republicans to tell their voters (particularly those who are low information voters) about the truths behind tariffs.