chasfh

The Presidency of Donald J. Trump

Yay, more cost to be passed through to the American consumer.

2 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Why are Mexicans still coming up here?  Didn't they fix that problem when Trump declared a national emergency for the wall?  Where is my wall?  

8 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

Yay, more cost to be passed through to the American consumer.

The business community continues to support Trump despite increasing tariffs and a trade war that’s beginning to spiral out of control. They will just pass those costs to consumers and blame any further price increases on tariffs while continuing to finance his re-election campaign. 

Mexico must be thrilled that they just made a new trade agreement and now Trump decides to slap tariffs on them as a punishment for something unrelated.  I am sure no country trusts Trump at this point.

Either there's someone else to blame, or he's playing 14D Chess and setting up a future move to flip the script...

37 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Mexico must be thrilled that they just made a new trade agreement and now Trump decides to slap tariffs on them as a punishment for something unrelated.  I am sure no country trusts Trump at this point.

does it count to be able to trust that someone is completely untrustworthy?

Just asking for a friend in DC.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

So, Trump doesn't know what he's doing?

9 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Yup, covered this before. No investor is going to put a pot full of long term money into a capital intensive industry like primary Aluminum based on the policies of one President with a 40% approval rating, who by his own statements is only even using the tariff as a negotiating tactic  - and this is going to remain true even if somehow he get re-elected.

33 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

More projection.  

The last sentence? "They got nothing"??

I think I heard that in every episode of The Sopranos. 

Just now, tiger337 said:

So, Trump doesn't know what he's doing?

and sadly like most people in his same state, he hasn't the first clue that he doesn't.

On 5/29/2019 at 9:05 PM, tiger337 said:

He really is seriously mentally ill.  

Untreated syphilis brain damage is my theory. Don't forget, he was a swinger at Studio 54 back in the day.

On 5/29/2019 at 10:01 PM, stanpapi said:

And Al Capone went to prison for tax evasion. Why do Trumpers still use deflection, lies and distortion every time Donald is caught screwing up?

Donald Trump is an embarrassment to not only this entire nation but to the entire human race. All of his knuckle dragging, mouth breathing supporters should all be ashamed of themselves. 

Shame! Shame! Shame!

2 hours ago, Euphdude said:

The business community continues to support Trump despite increasing tariffs and a trade war that’s beginning to spiral out of control. They will just pass those costs to consumers and blame any further price increases on tariffs while continuing to finance his re-election campaign. 

That tune is changing sharply as Trump keeps ******* up the business environment/ consumer confidence/ and pushing the economy into a recession with his tariff wars... very quickly. Businesses don't like recessions.

Things are really going to go downhill fast if they follow thru with a tax on Corona and Modelo

21 minutes ago, pfife said:

Things are really going to go downhill fast if they follow thru with a tax on Corona and Modelo

The leaders of these companies are almost exclusively GOP supporters and donors.  They will complain and threaten to not financially support GOP politicians, but I think they will just deal with the tariffs so they don't give Dems more ammo to use in future elections.

I have a good friend who's the President of a pretty big steel company.  He voted for Trump but that was because of Hillary.  This guy's worth millions I suspect.  I asked him the other day what all of this is doing for his company and he just shook his head.  "He has no clue what he's doing... he's ******* it all up....  a joke...."

5 minutes ago, Oblong said:

I have a good friend who's the President of a pretty big steel company.  He voted for Trump but that was because of Hillary.  This guy's worth millions I suspect.  I asked him the other day what all of this is doing for his company and he just shook his head.  "He has no clue what he's doing... he's ******* it all up....  a joke...."

Most of Trump's tariffs heavily target industries that have a large presence in swing states.  The industries in red states that are being affected by tariffs are getting welfare from Trump to offset their losses, yet I am unaware of any corresponding welfare to swing states.  Individuals like your friend can't be terribly pleased by that.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2019/05/31/lawmakers-express-alarm-trump-forges-ahead-with-mexico-tariffs/?utm_term=.0205c2160274

Notable:

Senate Finance Committee Chairman Charles E. Grassley of Iowa, blasted Trump’s move as “a misuse of presidential tariff authority and contrary to congressional intent.” Implementing the tariffs, he said, would “seriously jeopardize passage” of the United States-Mexico-Canada Agreement (USMCA)."

Another Iowa Republican, Sen. Joni Ernst, asked Trump to reconsider in a statement Friday morning, highlighting the damage the tariffs, and the collapse of the trade agreement, would bring for American agriculture.

“The livelihoods of Iowa farmers and producers are at stake,” Ernst said in the statement. “The USMCA would provide much-needed certainty to our agriculture community, at a time when they need it. If the president goes through with this, I’m afraid progress to get this trade agreement across the finish line will be stifled.”

Anybody notice the pattern here?