chasfh

The Presidency of Donald J. Trump

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

rump does not care what's in it.  He just wants to call it a win and hear congratulations from slappys like Stan.  

Trump's lifetime pattern of behavior suggests you are 100% correct.

2 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

That is a very strange post, quoting an article that says not a word about what is in the deal. 

Trump caved, as usual, on his 2 most important points:  (a) eliminate the dispute resolution in Chapter 19.  Canada on the other hand was not signing any deals without that. It is still there, of course.  (b) tariff-free unlimited access to Canadian dairy markets.   TPP would have allowed 3.25% - bad deal!  New NAFTA allows 3.50%.  BFD. 

In order to evaluate the new agreement, you would have to have known what was in the old one.

Nah.  Trump negotiated the **** out of it because he was tough.  You know, no negotiator ever tried being tough before.  That is a new thing Trump invented.

13 hours ago, stanpapi said:

2 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

That is a very strange post, quoting an article that says not a word about what is in the deal. 

Trump caved, as usual, on his 2 most important points:  (a) eliminate the dispute resolution in Chapter 19.  Canada on the other hand was not signing any deals without that. It is still there, of course.  (b) tariff-free unlimited access to Canadian dairy markets.   TPP would have allowed 3.25% - bad deal!  New NAFTA allows 3.50%.  BFD. 

In order to evaluate the new agreement, you would have to have known what was in the old one.

Charles beat me to it.

16 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I'm surprised Japan is as high as 67%

I suspect the minute drops for Japan and SK reflect the idea that Trumpism, neofascism, far right wing resurgence, etc. is a eurocentric problem and not an Asian concern

I know this is true.  The Darkness at Noon quality of the Trump Presidency has got to dismay the traditional Republicans who are going to be savaged at the ballot this November

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2018/10/02/no-the-republican-party-is-not-the-party-of-trump-this-new-survey-finds/?utm_term=.83406c08798f

11 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

I know this is true.  The Darkness at Noon quality of the Trump Presidency has got to dismay the traditional Republicans who are going to be savaged at the ballot this November

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/monkey-cage/wp/2018/10/02/no-the-republican-party-is-not-the-party-of-trump-this-new-survey-finds/?utm_term=.83406c08798f

I'd say a solid majority (75%) or so of my personal acquaintances that are Republican cannot stand Trump. They are terrified for November either way...

11 minutes ago, wolverinefan said:

I'd say a solid majority (75%) or so of my personal acquaintances that are Republican cannot stand Trump. They are terrified for November either way...

But will they vote for the GOP candidates anyway?  Or not vote? Or vote for the Democratic candidate? 

29 minutes ago, smr-nj said:

But will they vote for the GOP candidates anyway?  Or not vote? Or vote for the Democratic candidate? 

The polling I see suggest that Suburban voters will not vote GOP this cycle.   Now, the concern is that some hidden pocket of racially motivated voter that didn't even come out in 2016 will emerge.  Some may even cast their ballots from St. Petersburg or South East Asia 

12 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

The polling I see suggest that Suburban voters will not vote GOP this cycle.   Now, the concern is that some hidden pocket of racially motivated voter that didn't even come out in 2016 will emerge.  Some may even cast their ballots from St. Petersburg or South East Asia 

Just went to lunch with my boss this week and discussed, among other things, politics and this upcoming election. He's always been a Republican, votes for the occasional Democrat, but is voting straight D this time, in no small part because of Trump as well as the nutty Texas GOP (which Melody and I have discussed at length on this board).

Whether that matters? That's another story... perhaps the loss of the suburban voter is offset by the Trump base. But I do think that a lot of the analysis of the election misses the importance of the suburbs... the historical strength of the GOP has not rested in rural America, it has rested in the suburbs. And while the demographics work to the GOP's advantage in the Senate, if the GOP loses ground (or even outright collapses) in the suburbs, it's going to make the House harder to gain back or (if they manage to hold on this time around) hold onto going forward.

So much of what happened in 2016 was on Hillary Clinton and the stench of dynastic politics (re: the Bush family).   Change some of those variables and things may have worked out differently.   However, so I'm not telling myself a story:  i do think the hidden manipulation of the Conservative thought machines by Mercer money and Putin tools was a big deal that no amount of Jeb Bush not named Bush or Marco Rubio who had 5 more years of political experience or Ted Cruz who wasn't a loathsome creep could fix. 

2 hours ago, ROMAD1 said:

I don't think the story justifies the headline at all. If the Trumpers are 55% of the party, then they win the primaries. Case closed. I don't know exactly what other useful electoral conclusion you can draw from the rest of the breakdowns. The fact that there may be a plurality of the GOP voters that disagree with one of Trump's policies doesn't mean much - you probably could have found a plurality of Dem voters in favor of Obama going for single payer. Didn't mean they weren't going to vote to re-elect him based on what ACA was.

So much of what happened in 2016 was on Hillary Clinton and the stench of dynastic politics (re: the Bush family).  

Truth

7 hours ago, smr-nj said:

Not vote is the majority. 

9 minutes ago, wolverinefan said:

Not vote is the majority. 

Then I’d say they’re not being entirely truthful in saying they can’t stand Trump.  

That’s probably just for appearances sake in front of people they know aren’t GOP.

1 hour ago, smr-nj said:

Then I’d say they’re not being entirely truthful in saying they can’t stand Trump.  

That’s probably just for appearances sake in front of people they know aren’t GOP.

Not the case.

Right on time, because of course, Christopher Columbus was a genocidal megalomaniac.