chasfh

The Presidency of Donald J. Trump

1 hour ago, mickeyb105 said:

Since I've been a member of MTS, there have been posters who have really shined over the years--Biggs, G2, Lee, Del, Betrayer and a few  others. 

You are in that category.

Yes, I disagree with you.

That post represents a low-point for content written by you here, but that is just my opinion as someone who has genuinely admired your POV on a variety of subjects over the years.  

I appreciate your thoughts but I honestly feel this way.  I've seen enough from the man on the street interviews, from Franklin Graham, from Falwell, Mike Pence, and from many friends who are Trump  supporters to think what I wrote isn't far fetched. Was it hyperbole?  Absolutely.  But only in the sense that those things would not be possible.  But look at Trump's history and the fact these people are still ok with the guy because he gives them their tax cuts, judges, and pisses off the libs.

Realistically, if we found out Trump paid for an abortion for a 16 year old girl very little would change in terms of his support among his base.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

49 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

That post represents a low-point for content written by you here, but that is just my opinion as someone who has genuinely admired your POV on a variety of subjects over the years.  

Oblong was using hyperbole, but did you think it was a low point when Trump said he could shoot someone on 5th avenue and his supporters would still vote for him?  

1 minute ago, Oblong said:

I appreciate your thoughts but I honestly feel this way.  I've seen enough from the man on the street interviews, from Franklin Graham, from Falwell, Mike Pence, and from many friends who are Trump  supporters to think what I wrote isn't far fetched. Was it hyperbole?  Absolutely.  But only in the sense that those things would not be possible.  But given Trump's history and the fact these people are still ok with the guy because he gives them their tax cuts, judges, and pisses off the libs.

Realistically, if we found out Trump paid for an abortion for a 16 year old girl very little would change in terms of his support among his base.

Nothing would change, because no matter how ironclad the evidence, Trump fans will simply refuse to believe it.

Besides, haven't you heard? Only Demoncrats are pedophiles.

just keep in mind, we are not fighting for the Fox audience, we are fighting for the independents, and a lot of them are doing the best they can to remain stubbornly tuned out. We need them to be so fed up with this ugly din they will get off their duffs and vote just to stop it.

7 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Oblong was using hyperbole, but did you think it was a low point when Trump said he could shoot someone on 5th avenue and his supporters would still vote for him?  

You guys are just better than this, sorry.

One description of a personality cult, from American Academic Thomas A. Wright:

The cult of personality phenomenon refers to the idealized, even god-like, public image of an individual consciously shaped and molded through constant propaganda and media exposure. As a result, one is able to manipulate others based entirely on the influence of public personality...the cult of personality perspective focuses on the often shallow, external images that many public figures cultivate to create an idealized and heroic image.

There definitely isn't a government sanctioned cult of personality (ala China, Venezuela, the Soviets) in place and there in all likelihood never will be in this country. That having been said, if one limits the criteria to how the GOP and their fellow travelers in media (ie. Fox News, Daily Caller, etc.) operate in the age of Trump, I'd be curious to see hear an argument these characteristics don't apply.

Yes, I disagree with you.

1 hour ago, mtutiger said:

Why?

Bump

35 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

The president of the US has just called one his own chosen female staffers a dog. He has named our closest cultural and military allies enemies over relatively trivial trade details, he has embraced the leadership of a nation that assassinates its enemies in broad daylight around the globe, is responsible for making the government of the US into one of world's largest child abusers,  he gives aid and comfort to the most vile and reactionary elements in the body politic,  he has refused to take any action to protect this nation from a concerted effort to undermine its election process, he has cast any semblance of respect for truth in public discourse onto the ash heap of history, he abides epic corruption and incompetence in his administration and has dragged American political conversation into the mire of his own gutter style, not even to mention that economic policy wise he is busy planting the seeds of an economic slowdown (or worse).

What is there that we should be 'better' about? How would it be possible to be?

• Thanks 3

I don't understand how Trump saying he could shoot someone and still keep his base is a poor reflection on non-Trumpers.

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The president of the US has just called one his own chosen female staffers a dog. He has named our closest cultural and military allies enemies over relatively trivial trade details, he has embraced the leadership of a nation that assassinates its enemies in broad daylight around the globe, he gives aid and comfort to most vile and reactionary elements in the body politic,  has refused to take any action to protect this nation from a concerted effort to undermine its election process, he has cast any semblance of respect for truth in public discourse onto the ash heap of history, and he is busy planting the seeds of an economic slowdown (or worse).

What is there that we should be 'better' about?

You can't control what the POTUS does.

You can control content your create here on MTS.

2 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

What is it that you object to? And why do you object to it?

3 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

He has set this stage, we are simply describing the sets as they are.

2 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The logic I'm getting from this is the following:

When Obama does things conservatives they don't like, it's OK to complain.

When Trump does things non-conservatives don't like, they should be quiet about it.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Which apparently makes all of us crazy and hysterical. Gaslighting 101.

And one wonders why Oblong would muse about how seemingly no situation would cause supporters to abandon him.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

What is it that I am doing wrong?  What about him warrants the benefit of the doubt?

If what i wrote troubles you I suspect it's because you know it's true and that is something you are afraid to admit.  You don't want to appear sympathetic to people who would tolerate that and yet, here we are.  I know they would and you do too.  

Quit being vague.

7 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Dali lives, indeed.

34 minutes ago, mtutiger said:

What is it that you object to? And why do you object to it?

Bump

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Trump is frustrating and sad and bad for the country an dangerous, but it is undeniably amusing to see that in Omarosa he has met a match in someone as good at playing his particular game as he is.

She was one of his apprentices. His best student

How is what Oblong said worse than what Trump said?  

Regarding these alleged NDA's.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/why-white-house-cant-stop-omarosa-manigault-newman-talking

In 1968, however, the Supreme Court ruled in Pickering v. Board of Education,  that public employees do not relinquish their First Amendment rights simply by virtue of their employment and that the interest of public employees to comment on matters of public interest is not necessarily outweighed by the government’s interest in regulating that speech. Instead, the court held that a balancing test must be applied, weighing the employees’ constitutional rights and interests to contribute to the public debate against the government’s interests in limiting that contribution.

Relying on the foundational legacy of Pickering, the U.S. Courts of Appeals for both the D.C. Circuit and the Fourth Circuit later addressed the related question of the federal government’s ability to censor the written publications of former federal employees who had held security clearances. In McGehee v. Casey, 718 F.2d 1137 (D.C. Cir. 1983) and United States v. Marchetti, 466 F.2d 1309 (4th Cir. 1972), the two appellate courts concluded that the federal government has no legitimate interest in censoring unclassified materials of former employees and that they may not censor such material, contractually or otherwise. The Marchetti court particularly refused to enforce a CIA “secrecy oath” that would have applied to the unclassified communications of former employees.

The rulings laid out in McGehee and Marchetti have survived to this day and have been incorporated into the regulatory framework of how the federal government handles efforts to restrict—if at all—the communications of former employees.

1 minute ago, tiger337 said:

How is what Oblong said worse than what Trump said?  

I'm held to a higher standard I guess... that's Trumpworld.  He gets a pass on everything.  I can't appoint judges.

10 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Regarding these alleged NDA's.

The NDAs crafted in Trump's mold would never pass legal muster if challenged in a court of law, as it prevents government employees from talking about the business they conduct on behalf of the people - which by definition is supposed to be open and transparent.

Oblong suggested Trump would perform an 8 month abortion on a 16 year old he impregnated and not lose support.

It is the late term abortion reference Mickey objects to as being beneath everyone.