Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RedRamage

Caldwell got 2-second added on to the clock!

15 posts in this topic

Here's an interesting thing too:

The story of the amazing and ridiculous Detroit Lions season grows in legend weekly. The Lions are 5-4. In each of the five wins, Detroit trailed in the last 90 seconds. Truly, the Lions could be 0-9 right now. It’d be a heartbreaking 0-9, but it’d be an explainable 0-9.

I did not know that were were trailing in the last 90 seconds of each game we won.  That's pretty amazing.

The 2 seconds is kind of irrelevant tho as Minnesota subsequently called timeout when they wanted. They could have still let the clock run further.

But they didn't, so the extra :02 ended up being extremely relevant. 

Minnesota would have called timeout with 27 seconds left with or without Caldwell's extra 2 seconds.

That presumes that there was something special about 27 seconds as opposed to the clock running down and the Vikings just calling the time out after X number of seconds from the previous play.

Could have easily just ended up calling the time out with 25 seconds in that scenario.

We will never know of course, but it makes for a good narrative.

2 minutes ago, Shelton said:

That presumes that there was something special about 27 seconds as opposed to the clock running down and the Vikings just calling the time out after X number of seconds from the previous play.

Could have easily just ended up calling the time out with 25 seconds in that scenario.

We will never know of course, but it makes for a good narrative.

True. That wouldn't be logical thinking on the Vikings part, but there's no law that says they have to act logically.

True. That wouldn't be logical thinking on the Vikings part, but there's no law that says they have to act logically.

Yes, although stopping the clock at 27 instead of 25 or 23 or 20 when they had only two plays left in their set of downs and another timeout in their pocket kind of defies logic.

10 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Yes, although stopping the clock at 27 instead of 25 or 23 or 20 when they had only two plays left in their set of downs and another timeout in their pocket kind of defies logic.

I think he called it too early as well. I think he was protecting against maybe getting stopped on 3rd down and then a PI on 4th down or something and then having it come down to 1 final play even tho it's 1st and goal. But even doing that he still left too much time.

I still view the 2 seconds saved as coincidence rather than cause and effect.

I think he called it too early as well. I think he was protecting against maybe getting stopped on 3rd down and then a PI on 4th down or something and then having it come down to 1 final play even tho it's 1st and goal. But even doing that he still left too much time.

I still view the 2 seconds saved as coincidence rather than cause and effect.

I agree it was coincidence. Just one of those things that people notice because it happened and the spike left 2 seconds left.

Here's an interesting thing too:

The story of the amazing and ridiculous Detroit Lions season grows in legend weekly. The Lions are 5-4. In each of the five wins, Detroit trailed in the last 90 seconds. Truly, the Lions could be 0-9 right now. It’d be a heartbreaking 0-9, but it’d be an explainable 0-9.

I did not know that were were trailing in the last 90 seconds of each game we won.  That's pretty amazing.

This is a team that has almost no margin for error. But credit them for staying in games long enough for the other team to beat itself.

And as bad as the defense has been, they have stopped at least two fourth down goal line stands this season, including one against Minnesota. Those two plays make the difference between a 5-4 record and a 3-6 record.

12 hours ago, Shelton said:

I agree it was coincidence. Just one of those things that people notice because it happened and the spike left 2 seconds left.

While I agree that it's coincidence it does make for an interesting story.  It also is one instance of Caldwell actually managing the game... paying attention enough that they didn't stop the clock quick enough... understanding that 2 seconds might be important... and arguing with the refs to get those seconds back.

Granted, this is just one instance.  This by itself is NOT even close to enough evidence to consider changing the narrative that Caldwell doesn't do well as game manager.  But it is one instance where I have to give him his due.

3 seconds also ran off the clock after the Minnesota TD, which Caldwell did not get put back on

So that's a net change of -1 second. Caldwell still sucks.

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Jason_R said:

This is a team that has almost no margin for error. But credit them for staying in games long enough for the other team to beat itself.

And as bad as the defense has been, they have stopped at least two fourth down goal line stands this season, including one against Minnesota. Those two plays make the difference between a 5-4 record and a 3-6 record.

That and the 2 game sealing INTs