Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Nastradamus

Halfway point grades

9 posts in this topic

Thought it would be fun to take a look at how things have gone for the first half, as well as how they will go going forward

Stafford - A, IMHO. He has not been perfect, but he's lifted the team while it has attempted to drag him down. The run game sucks, the OL is learning and Ebron and Riddick were his security blankets. 

RBs - C - Riddick does his thing, Washington and Zenner have moments, but overall they can't run the ball and its on them more than the OL. Zenner lacks the burst to hit the hole on time. Washington needs to get healthy and I'm guessing learn to pass pro a bit more. Abdullah was a big loss. A D without Riddick, a C+ if Riddick had played the whole year. I'd bet we beat both Chicago and Houston with Abdullah healthy. Particularly the latter

WRs - B+ - I like this group. Jones isn't a #1, obvioulsy, but I'm ok with him as our #1 if that makes sense. Boldin was a nice add for what he is, Tate has gotten his groove back and Roberts has even made some key catches. 

TEs - C minus -  Hard to grade this group. Wick hasn't really done anything, nobody else really plays. Robinson blocked well as the jumbo guy and Ebron looks like a pretty damn useful player when healthy. Ebron was a bad pick at 10, but he was not a bad pick because we had signed Pettigrew. We need a true TE to play him with so he can be a move guy. 

OTs - C - Wow has Reiff regressed. He's pass blocking worse as a RT than he used to at LT. Decker continues to grade well on PFF, now their 20th ranked OT(pretty rare for a rookie from my experience). Seems like a solid pick. Reiff either walks or moves to G when re-signed IMO. The former being much more likely. Not sure what to think of any of the backups. 

OGs - B minus to C+ -  Warford is pretty solid, Tomlinson is pretty awful. Glasgow has looked solid enough(had a nice game against Donald). 

C - A - Swanson has been fantastic IMO. I rarely notice him, especially getting pushed backwards like he used to so much. PFF's #4 overall C

DEs - C minus - Ansah isn't  himself, even when out there, Taylor has been inconsistent at best. Hyder looks like a nice fine and Bryant now has 3 sacks in 4 or 5 weeks. They're the bright spots i guess. 

DTs - F - Just brutal, no good things to say

LBs - F - Just brutal, no good things to say

S - C + - Quin and Wilson have been solid if not spectacular. Bush works as a 3rd safety, Kilebrew starting to play a little. They aren't our problem, I'll leave it at that. A stud would be nice. 

CB - C+ Slay is having another very good season. Lawson is ok and improving, though he should be a nickel. He certainly gets abused at times. Diggs has been exposed, I was wrong on him. I like Bademosi a bit for depth. He's more than a pure STer. Not a starting CB though either. Banks added today for some height. Why not?

So in short, we need Ansah healthy, the front 7 needs an overhaul, the OL will probably be ok with time and tweaks and we need a RB who can stay healthy and produce consistently. We have our QB and he has weapons. 

Can't really disagree with any of that.  I hope that Reiff is just slow at learning RT.

19 hours ago, Nastradamus said:

OTs - C - Wow has Reiff regressed. He's pass blocking worse as a RT than he used to at LT.

Noticed that also. Almost wonder if he isn't 100%. He's just getting man-handled on some plays recently.

Can't really disagree with any of your ratings Nas.  I gotta say, the offensive line has played pretty well the last 4 or so games outside of Reiff who has been a trainwreck, Swanson and Decker have been excellent to my surprise. 

On another note, I really wish they made a play for Jamie Collins, he could have been a big boon for this defense but knowing Belichick, he probably zoned in on Cleveland to spite Collins.

24 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Can't really disagree with any of your ratings Nas.  I gotta say, the offensive line has played pretty well the last 4 or so games outside of Reiff who has been a trainwreck, Swanson and Decker have been excellent to my surprise. 

On another note, I really wish they made a play for Jamie Collins, he could have been a big boon for this defense but knowing Belichick, he probably zoned in on Cleveland to spite Collins.

Few points

1. I love Collins and he's an ideal fit. His yards per coverage snap is elite. 

2. That said, Quinn is a BB disciple, so he's probably more likely to trade away guys like that than trade draft picks for them and pay them huge money

3. I'm not sure we could pay Slay,Collins and Ansah. 

4. As a side note, I wonder if Quinn would ever consider flipping Ansah for picks and using that cap space elsewhere. Not saying I advocate it, but its the New England style. Ansah is such a mess right now its hard to make any real assessments though. 

I think Ansah is playing injured.  I would take my chances on getting Collins signed later, the Lions need a difference maker on defense now as the division could be there for the taking.  I think it was a missed opportunity IMO.

With that said, I think you're right about Quinn wanting to follow the Belichick script of low risk high reward pickups.  Banks is an example of that although I doubt there is much of a chance of a high reward.

18 minutes ago, NYLion said:

I think Ansah is playing injured.  I would take my chances on getting Collins signed later, the Lions need a difference maker on defense now as the division could be there for the taking.  I think it was a missed opportunity IMO.

With that said, I think you're right about Quinn wanting to follow the Belichick script of low risk high reward pickups.  Banks is an example of that although I doubt there is much of a chance of a high reward.

I can pretty much agree with all of this

I'm going to post mine without reading any of the previous posts and see how crazily different they come out

Offense:

QB - A - Not much of a running game, sketchy o-line, terrible defense, and the team is 4-4. It's mostly because of the play of Stafford.

RB - B - I realize this will seem very high, but here's my thinking: Abdullah was excellent before getting hurt, and that is still 1/4th of the season. Riddick has been excellent as a receiver. I don't think  you can blame Forsett/Zenner/Washington for not having big days running with the mediocre at best o-line in front of them. They just aren't good enough to do that. Given the talent level I think this group has performed well.

WR - C - This was a tough one. Marvin Jones was a monster early but once teams realized he was the biggest threat he's fallen off, and outside of the one game Tate has not stepped up. Boldin has been nice and reliable, a good signing. The rest of the players at this group have been pretty much unused or worthless outside of Roberts' having two nice catches. Too many drops from everyone.

TE - D - Ebron has done solidly as a pass catcher, but no one else at this position has done anything and none of them can block at all.

OT - C - B for Decker, D for Reiff. Decker is coming along, you can tell he's still a dumb rookie, but he has impressed me overall. Reiff seems to have regressed heavily with the position switch. From an average LT to a bad RT.

OG - D - Tomlinson was garbage, Glasgow had one good game but got beat up pretty good vs Houston. I like Warford but he's been bad this year. Giving up a few pressures which would be fine if he was the dominant run blocker he's been at times, but I haven't seen it this year.

C - B - Nice improvement here. Went from god awful last year to just a few bad plays this year. Swanson/Decker continuing to play well the rest of the season would be huge for the future of the team, especially if Glasgow steps up a bit as well.

Defense:

DE - D - Ansah is playing hurt, but he's been useless. Devin Taylor has been a huge disappointment, he'll make the occasional fantastic play, and then the rest of the game he's completely anonymous. Looks like his ceiling is 3rd down pass rusher. Unfortunately, the team already has that guy in Hyder who has done it better than him. Really Hyder is the only reason this isn't an F. Bryant has looked promising if he stops doing drugs.

DT - C - No pass rush from this position, but when healthy they've been decentish vs the run, which to me is moderately impressive given how bad the linebackers are. Robinson looks like a solid run stuffing type long term, and Ngata is still good when he can play. I think Charles and Thornton have been fine as backups as well.

LB - F - What can you even say. They've all been terrible. I didn't expect much from anyone other than Levy and Whitehead, and Levy hasn't played and Whitehead has regressed massively. Easily the least talented group in the NFL with Levy out. Don't seem to offer much in the run, and brutal vs the pass.

S - D - I don't see many positives here either. If any of these guys could cover slots or TEs they'd be doing it instead of watching the LBers and slot corners get abused regularly. Zero big plays outside of a couple of fairly easy INTs.

Slot Corner - F - I'm splitting CB into these two positions, because I think it's a big difference. Mostly been Diggs and random special teamers here, but also some Lawson. Whoever they have covering the slot WR/TEs. They've been brutally bad.

Outside Corner - B - Comparatively I think this has been good. The Lions have not really been getting beat by other teams #1 or even #2 WRs. Slay has been solid, and Lawson has actually played well in his spot when he's been out. Originally I was actually considering going higher with this grade, but then I thought that maybe it's more that there is no reason for opposing QBs to throw to the outside when the middle of the field is so easy.

Punter - A+ - Martin sucked vs Houston, but it stood out because he's been incredible the rest of the season. Great on kickoffs too.

Kicker - B- - Very strong leg which is great, but just not quite reliable enough to be in the top tier. Still, it's quite an improvement from the garbage the Lions had here before Prater showed up.

KR - F - Useless/Negative

PR - B - He has a TD, so that alone is worth like 3 letter grades. Hasn't done much else though.

1 person likes this