Yoda

2017 Movies

Yeah she is smoking...no doubt about that.  The Iron Man franchise saved the genre for me.  I love everything Iron Man. Perfectly cast, great actor love the whole idea of it.

I've seen what I view as the pinnacle of female badassery in the last year. From the intellectual badassery of Hidden Figures to the physical badassery of WW. Both very fun movies in their own way. And it's nice to see Hollywood exec's being shown that it can be successful. 

That post reminds me of when I was a rookie in my job and a grizzled old Leyland type manager would say of women: "God bless women, for their beauty, their intelligence, their compassion, but most of all for their willingness to put up with men. Lord help us if they ever figure out that they don't need us."

On 6/6/2017 at 1:15 PM, Yoda said:

Surprised nobody has brought this up yet, but Wonder Woman was a fantastic movie. I highly recommend it to anyone. Great story, great action. They got this one perfect, IMO. 

Yah, I thought Wonder Woman: The FIrst Avenger was a really good movie.

On 10/28/2016 at 4:35 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Restarting the Spider Man thing again already?    Enough.............Enough.     Can I just get some movies that don't need CGI or a Green Screen?     ****, I'd even take a biopic that is less accurate than A Beautiful Mind at this point. 

Nobody's done a Timothy Leary movie...........he'd be a great subject.     

How about a drama about the deflate-gate scandal, as stupid as that would be, it would be better than yet another Spider Man reboot. 

I mean Tuturro,  I love you, buddy,  you are always great, but your character was  meant to be a 2 minute distraction, a goof, a laugh.  Can I get another season of John Stone instead?  I'd rather see a spin off movie of the Lou character from Fargo..........you know, the guy that didn't know DLR plates meant Dealer Plates?    I'd even take a spin off of the prison escapees from Raising Arizona    This "Jesus" spinoff would be like the Brady Bunch doing a spinoff of Alice's one-episode replacement called "That was Alice, I'm Kay!"  But I mean Spider Man.............again..................ugh. .    

There are no new ideas because the studios are terrified about losing money.

17 hours ago, Shelton said:

Baby Driver is amazing. I'm angry now that I'm not watching it. 

Correct. What a fun movie. 

Now, give me Dunkirk. 

Motor City's rant about Spiderman is funny, because I just saw it yesterday with my son and we loved it. It was funny, action-packed, and didn't rehash the same material from previous Spiderman movies. Michael Keaton was great. He was a nice reprieve from the "super-villain" we usually get in Marvel movies.

On 7/9/2017 at 3:31 PM, Yoda said:

Correct. What a fun movie. 

Now, give me Dunkirk. 

In 70mm please. 

8 hours ago, Shelton said:

Dunkirk!

I enjoyed the **** out of it.   Nolan is good at his job.   

• Like 1

On July 21, 2017 at 2:48 PM, Nastradamus said:

Baby Driver was the most fun I've had at the movies in a long time. Immediately bought the soundtrack

Agreed. We saw it Saturday night and we enjoyed it very much. When our other choice for a movie was the third reiteration of Spider-Man, it was fun to see something original. The soundtrack was awesome as was the cast. It was interesting how the music became another character of the cast. 

Watched Wonder Woman last night and enjoyed it. There were a lot of CGI fails but overall a very enjoyable popcorn movie. First DC movie I've liked in a long time.

And for the obvious, every time she was on screen, I was mesmerized at her beauty. Just an absolutely gorgeous woman.

17 hours ago, rhino said:

Agreed. We saw it Saturday night and we enjoyed it very much. When our other choice for a movie was the third reiteration of Spider-Man, it was fun to see something original. The soundtrack was awesome as was the cast. It was interesting how the music became another character of the cast. 

Completely agreed!

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

Watched Wonder Woman last night and enjoyed it. There were a lot of CGI fails but overall a very enjoyable popcorn movie. First DC movie I've liked in a long time.

And for the obvious, every time she was on screen, I was mesmerized at her beauty. Just an absolutely gorgeous woman.

How's she look in jeans?

2 hours ago, Biff Mayhem said:

I hear she wakes up looking like that in the morning.

Saw Dunkirk today. It was a good, I liked the approach. A couple glaring issues however. Huge cargo elevators in the background during the final scenes were a distraction. As was the Spitfire fully engulfed on the beach with propeller, rod and no engine showing.

My wife was at the preview of Detroit earlier this week. It's a very intense movie. She compared the intensity to Hurt Locker (same director). Outside of a couple of quibbles with the timeline (especially in the use of tv news footage from the riot) she said it was done extremely well.

I absolutely loved Dunkirk. I wondered how he would avoid comparisons with Private Ryan, and figured there'd be some big, elaborate plot with an alternate timeline. Complete opposite. Almost not plot and minimal dialogue. And it was fantastic. 

I've become a big fan of Mark Rylance. I thought his performance was outstanding.

9 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

I've become a big fan of Mark Rylance. I thought his performance was outstanding.

Absolutely! The look he gave... you know the scene I'm talking about... crushed me. 

On 7/28/2017 at 9:43 PM, CMRivdog said:

Saw Dunkirk today. It was a good, I liked the approach. A couple glaring issues however. Huge cargo elevators in the background during the final scenes were a distraction. As was the Spitfire fully engulfed on the beach with propeller, rod and no engine showing.

My wife was at the preview of Detroit earlier this week. It's a very intense movie. She compared the intensity to Hurt Locker (same director). Outside of a couple of quibbles with the timeline (especially in the use of tv news footage from the riot) she said it was done extremely well.

My quibbles with this one.  Sad that a "big budget film" can't rummage up more actual aircraft.  The movie The Battle of Britain had access to some 85 aircraft.   

I wish there were a bit more exposition of the battle on the perimeter.  

The engineer who built the secondary mole out of derelict trucks.  That process might have been interesting in the same way that the building of the Bailey Bridge in A Bridge Too Far was.  

Gimme 10-20 seconds discussion with/from the Army Colonel about the idiotic plan to move into Belgium to the Dyle river line which opened up the BEF's flanks.   Something like "we learned the wrong lessons from the first War"