bugmanson

Van Noy traded ?

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

You always look on the bright side of everything. :)

The pats will use van noy to do the one thing he is ok at: running straight at the qb and trying to tackle him.  He doesnt do anything else well.  The pats love to take other people's chicken **** and try to make chicken salad: shea mcclellin, jonathan cooper, and now van noy.

Bynes isnt very good either.  Fyi.

To me Josh Bynes is an average to slightly below average NFL linebacker. Unfortunately, that makes him a huge upgrade over what the Lions have been playing so far this year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

To me Josh Bynes is an average to slightly below average NFL linebacker. Unfortunately, that makes him a huge upgrade over what the Lions have been playing so far this year.

I like both Williams and Whitehead more than Bynes.  I think Williams could be a steal of the draft type of player.

I'm even surprised we were able to get what we got for Van Noy from New England and Belichick of all people. The guy hasn't shown that he is an NFL player really, so being able to flip him for an upgraded draft slot is fine by me. Nice move by Quinn.

It's funny because I was thinking the last few weeks how utterly awful Van Noy is and why he was playing at all, he's just way too slow to keep up.  Too bad because he was a beast in college and I was thoroughly convinced that the Lions got a steal in him.  Mayhew's drafting is the gift that keeps on giving. Sheesh

2 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

I like both Williams and Whitehead more than Bynes.  I think Williams could be a steal of the draft type of player.

Whitehead has had a truly awful season so far though. He doesn't look like last year's version at all

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I'm even surprised we were able to get what we got for Van Noy from New England and Belichick of all people. The guy hasn't shown that he is an NFL player really, so being able to flip him for an upgraded draft slot is fine by me. Nice move by Quinn.

Yup

Getting only a 6th rounder seems a little light, although that can easily be spun into a 4th or 5th rounder in a future year.  Losing Van Noy is NBD.

Guys like van noy are replacement level so you aren't going to get much. If they can get Bynes to march his production then it's a good trade.

20 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Guys like van noy are replacement level so you aren't going to get much. If they can get Bynes to march his production then it's a good trade.

Exactly. If PFF has any basis in reality, this should be a near sure bet. 

Remember all the talk in preseason about how van noy was finally getting it and finally healthy?

Chalk it up to bonderman's change up.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

Remember all the talk in preseason about how van noy was finally getting it and finally healthy?

He did get healthy and get in shape, he just wasn't good lol. I wonder if the particular injury he had took away his fluidity, because he showed absolutely none. I wonder if the Pats make him a TED ILB in the 3-4

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

I could see how Van Noy would look really good in practice. He has real athleticism. But he can't cover anyone and he has zero game intelligence that I can see. There was a play last week where he came on a blitz and I was certain he was going to get a sack, and he literally just ran directly into a lineman. I mean, the lineman wasn't looking at him, and he could probably easily have just went slightly to the side and had a clean rush on the QB, and instead he just slammed into him.

That was my 'this guy is never going to be good' moment

On 10/26/2016 at 6:45 AM, djhutch said:

Getting only a 6th rounder seems a little light, although that can easily be spun into a 4th or 5th rounder in a future year.  Losing Van Noy is NBD.

It's not even getting a 6th rounder, it's essentially moving up 15 or so draft positions. Patriots, as we all know, will be picking very late in the rounds (possibly even the last pick) and the Lions will most likely be somewhere in the 10-15 range...with some luck and continued success maybe even in the top 8. 

I'm not upset at the trade because Van Noy was terrible, but it's just crazy that we had to trade a second round pick to move up 15 or so spots late in the draft. 

38 minutes ago, RatkoVarda said:

Serious question: why is a guy who could not play for the Lions now the #1 backup LB of the Partiots and playing in the SB?

The system.  He either knows the new one better or is just better suited to their style of play.  90% of pros can thrive in the NFL IMO it is simply a matter of coaching/system.

22 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

Serious question: why is a guy who could not play for the Lions now the #1 backup LB of the Partiots and playing in the SB?

I agree with with JBK in part, but there are other possibilities are as well:

Wakeup Call: It wouldn't surprise me at all that a team trading/cutting a guy might serve as a wake up call to the player that he's got to put in more effort.  It could be that Van Noy was sort of coasting along figuring that he would be okay, but then when traded realized that he could easily be out of a (very well paying) job if he didn't start putting in the effort.

Coaching: JBK touched on this, but beyond just the 'system', the style of a coach might very well be able to push the right buttons with a guy that the previous coach just wasn't doing right.  This is a credit to the new coaching staff of course, but also a mark against the old staff.  It could be that the old staff was just giving up too early on a guy and assuming he wasn't going to amount to much when a different approach with him might have gotten more out of him.

Culture: I certainly don't think culture is everything in a sport franchise, but I also believe it's part of it... If you're a Lions fan you expect them to be mediocre at best. I'm sure that feeling exists to some extent inside the team as well. No, it isn't logical, but it still exists. Move from a team that's won one playoff game in 60+ years to a team that is in the SB 5 of the last 10 times... well, that's going to rub off on you a bit.

Honestly, it's probably some combination of all of these things put together, but it does make me feel like the Lions may have given up too early on Van Noy, especially given their lack of depth at LB, which is sorta what I said at the beginning of this thread.