bugmanson

Van Noy traded ?

What??  Lions trade Van Noy and a 7th for a 6th?  That makes no sense whatsoever... 

Don't get me wrong here... Van Noy wasn't that great or anything, but LB is seriously a lacking area for the Lions.  Changing a 7th rounder in for a 6th is peanuts... it's nothing.  It's the NFL equivalent of trading a baseball player for cash.  Why would you trade a piece from one the thinnest areas of your already bad defense for virtually nothing in return?

8 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Got a 6th rounder out of it, nice.  Van Noy sucks.  Get it Quinn.

Yeah good riddance. Van Noy looked completely lost out there

8 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

What??  Lions trade Van Noy and a 7th for a 6th?  That makes no sense whatsoever... 

Don't get me wrong here... Van Noy wasn't that great or anything, but LB is seriously a lacking area for the Lions.  Changing a 7th rounder in for a 6th is peanuts... it's nothing.  It's the NFL equivalent of trading a baseball player for cash.  Why would you trade a piece from one the thinnest areas of your already bad defense for virtually nothing in return?

Alternately, if it makes so sense for the reasons you just cited, that tells you all you needed to know about what the front office thought about him.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Because he sucks and getting something in return for him is better than nothing?

I would agree with this if any of the following where true:

1. You had plenty of decent LBs already on the team.

2. Your year was already in the toilet

3. The return was decent

In my opinion, none of those three statements hold true.  It's not that I think Van Noy is going to do great things, it's rather that we're already thin at the position and what we actually got from them is minuscule.  Our 7th round pick will probably be in the middle of the pack while the Pats 6th rounder will almost certainly be near the end.  So we've essentially moved up 20 spots at the very end of the draft.  Big deal...  That's peanuts... that's less than peanuts.  Given that the Lions aren't out of this (yet) this year and given that our defense is already beat up and injured, why trade away even less than great pieces?

2 minutes ago, RedRamage said:

I would agree with this if any of the following where true:

1. You had plenty of decent LBs already on the team.

2. Your year was already in the toilet

3. The return was decent

In my opinion, none of those three statements hold true.  It's not that I think Van Noy is going to do great things, it's rather that we're already thin at the position and what we actually got from them is minuscule.  Our 7th round pick will probably be in the middle of the pack while the Pats 6th rounder will almost certainly be near the end.  So we've essentially moved up 20 spots at the very end of the draft.  Big deal...  That's peanuts... that's less than peanuts.  Given that the Lions aren't out of this (yet) this year and given that our defense is already beat up and injured, why trade away even less than great pieces?

See the post above yours.  The team does not value Van Noy even as a warm body.

3 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

They are also bringing back Josh Bynes, who if healthy is a lot better than any of the Lions currently active linebackers

Well, that at least explains it somewhat... I'm still surprised though.  Again, it's not that I think Van Noy is that valuable, but what they got is just... essentially nothing!

From the Patriots standpoint, this makes sense. I vaguely recall the consensus on Van Noy being that he was more suited for a 3-4 LB role. However, I agree its really odd that we would trade a starter (albeit a bad one) for practically nothing, especially since the patriots 6th should be close to our 7th anyway... 

42 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

They are also bringing back Josh Bynes, who if healthy is a lot better than any of the Lions currently active linebackers

That makes sense to me. 

55 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Yup. Bynes can play a bit and they didn't seem to see Van Noy as a good fit(or player). Maybe Copeland plays SLB some and Kilebrew got some snaps the last game or 2 as a moneybacker type. 

2 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

Yup. Bynes can play a bit and they didn't seem to see Van Noy as a good fit. Maybe Copeland plays SLB some and Kilebrew got some snaps the last game or 2 as a moneybacker type. 

You always look on the bright side of everything. :)

The pats will use van noy to do the one thing he is ok at: running straight at the qb and trying to tackle him.  He doesnt do anything else well.  The pats love to take other people's chicken **** and try to make chicken salad: shea mcclellin, jonathan cooper, and now van noy.

Bynes isnt very good either.  Fyi.

Just now, Buddha said:

You always look on the bright side of everything. :)

The pats will use van noy to do the one thing he is ok at: running straight at the qb and trying to tackle him.  He doesnt do anything else well.  The pats love to take other people's chicken **** and try to make chicken salad: shea mcclellin, jonathan cooper, and now van noy.

Bynes isnt very good either.  Fyi.

What bright side did I bring up? That Van Noy is easily replaceable because he sucks? 

I think "Bynes can play a little" is fair. He's not going to be worse than Van Noy, and odds are he's at least a little better