ROMAD1

Trey Burke...wanna revise them comments?

3 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Really weird comments from Burke. 

Its just silly and insulting...in that, think-before-you-speak way.  Not that I'm too worried about this guy.   Life gave him a lottery ticket of talent.  Didn't give him a top notch brain.

Of course maybe he'd be happier as a sewage engineer or some other Mike Rowe-esq dirty job than being a highly compensated NBA player who had the criminal misfortune of having to attend college for 1-2 years where he wasn't given the Ludoviko treatment to force him to learn about how to manage his money despite an entire university of educational opportunities including seminars given to all the athletes on this very subject.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, ROMAD1 said:

Its just silly and insulting...in that, think-before-you-speak way.  Not that I'm too worried about this guy.   Life gave him a lottery ticket of talent.  Didn't give him a top notch brain.

Of course maybe he'd be happier as a sewage engineer or some other Mike Rowe-esq dirty job than being a highly compensated NBA player who had the criminal misfortune of having to attend college for 1-2 years where he wasn't given the Ludoviko treatment to force him to learn about how to manage his money despite an entire university of educational opportunities including seminars given to all the athletes on this very subject.

Boom

Trey is kinda well known for being good with his money. Jordan Dumars runs his money and Burke is on a fairly strict monthly budget. 

So this isn't a broke athlete being bitter. This is someone who knows about personal finance and recognizes Michigan isn't doing enough to prepare it's students. Hopefully someone is listening.

But I have often said personal finance classes should be required in college and/or high school.

11 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Trey is kinda well known for being good with his money. Jordan Dumars runs his money and Burke is on a fairly strict monthly budget. 

So this isn't a broke athlete being bitter. This is someone who knows about personal finance and recognizes Michigan isn't doing enough to prepare it's students. Hopefully someone is listening.

But I have often said personal finance classes should be required in college and/or high school.

If this is true then he seriously undercut how seriously people would take him by whining about the food. That was certainly a bit of foolishness. I am quite struck about how few complaints I hear from UM Freshman about food. Way - way less than we had back in the day when it was a constant primary complaint. Schools are in such hot competition for top students today no school like UM can afford to have bad  food service on campus.

38 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The university should have made him take a personal finance course.

which they do offer

the discussion about the coach giving him white glove,  sheet turn down service, with mint on pillow is just ludicrous.

12 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If this is true then he seriously undercut how seriously people would take him by whining about the food. That was certainly a bit of foolishness. I am quite struck about how few complaints I hear from UM Freshman about food. Way - way less than we had back in the day when it was a constant primary complaint. Schools are in such hot competition for top students today no school like UM can afford to have bad  food service on campus.

Eh, food is so subjective. I'm not going to get worked up about those comments. 

But lots of people will.  I heard plenty about it on my drive into work and nobody was focused on his comment with regards to personal finance, so I think G2's claim that if Burke's overarching point was student athletes need to take a personal finance course, he diluted that message significantly by *****ing about breakfast foods.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

But lots of people will.  I heard plenty about it on my drive into work and nobody was focused on his comment with regards to personal finance, so I think G2's claim that if Burke's overarching point was student athletes need to take a personal finance course, he diluted that message significantly by *****ing about breakfast foods.

I understand a lot of people are stupid.

7 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Absolutely, which is why if one wishes to forward a topic when in a panel discussion they have to stay on point if they want their message heard.

Sure, if he is writing an op-ed for some newspaper about the lack of personal finance classes available to student athletes.  

But this was a general panel about life on campus where he fielded various questions on various topics.  He used the food as an example of why athletes should be paid.

I don't disagree with you, but I think G2 definitely has a point presuming Burke's primary aim was to forward the idea that student athletes need to take a personal finance course.

My two cents are I don't think that was his primary aim.  I think he was just offering his thoughts freely and those were the topics that happened to come up.

If his point was that no-one cooks like Mom, and that moving away from home is always a dislocation, then sure. But you have to do that with a shift to a more clearly comic or tongue-in-check mode so people understand the issue was your adjustment problem and not that you were really accusing your institution of feeding you cold gruel. On a personal level I'm happy to give a young person slack for lack of sophistication, but as you note - many people will take that as enough reason not to pay attention to anything else he said plus it becomes a media focus, so it stands as a bit of an unforced error.