vannzee

Expansion draft what if

This is something that I like to do every year. I know that it is not realistic but it can be an interesting way to pass the time.

What if the MLB was looking to expand?

Each team, provided they stick by past years, could protect 15 players from their organization. Those 15 players can not be pending free agents, but can be arbitrational eligible. The 15 players do NOT need to be on the 40 man roster. Prospects within their 1st two proseasons are exempt and not eligible for protection or selection.

Have fun.

Cabrera, Kinsler, Casti, McCann, JD,Maybin, Upton, Ver, Boyd, Fulmer, Jiminez, Norris, Rondon, A Wilson, leaving one spot for another reliever consisting of ARod, J Willson, Greene. Ryan etc, or Dean Green. This assumes Stewart does not need to be protected due to the two year rule. 

Cabrera, Maybin and the last reliever are on the bubble due the following:

• Cabrera's contract - if an expansion team was willing to take that on it would be good to see it go. But I doubt if management wants to see him go and have it drive down season ticket sales. But it is a bad bad contract. Legendarily bad...
  • Maybin - we only have him for one more year and he's brittle.
  • Last reliever - KRod's only signed for one more year and he faltered somewhat down the stretch. Nobody else thrills me but the spot is available. Keep Ryan, maybe?

I throw Dean Green's name out there as a name we could possibly pull back (if that rule was in effect) to be our DH after the expansion team took Victor. Dean can hit, and he had 100+ RBI's this year. Yeah, yeah. I know Cabby should be evolving to DH...

I have no problem letting the following go:

• Victor - bad contract
  • Zim - Bad contract
  • Pelf - bad contract
  • Sanchez - bad contract

We've gotta keep mcCann. There's no other catcher pushing for PT.

33 minutes ago, Chili Mac Davis said:

Cabrera, Kinsler, Casti, McCann, JD,Maybin, Upton, Ver, Boyd, Fulmer, Jiminez, Norris, Rondon, A Wilson, leaving one spot for another reliever consisting of ARod, J Willson, Greene. Ryan etc, or Dean Green. This assumes Stewart does not need to be protected due to the two year rule. 

Cabrera, Maybin and the last reliever are on the bubble due the following:

• Cabrera's contract - if an expansion team was willing to take that on it would be good to see it go. But I doubt if management wants to see him go and have it drive down season ticket sales. But it is a bad bad contract. Legendarily bad...
  • Maybin - we only have him for one more year and he's brittle.
  • Last reliever - KRod's only signed for one more year and he faltered somewhat down the stretch. Nobody else thrills me but the spot is available. Keep Ryan, maybe?

I throw Dean Green's name out there as a name we could possibly pull back (if that rule was in effect) to be our DH after the expansion team took Victor. Dean can hit, and he had 100+ RBI's this year. Yeah, yeah. I know Cabby should be evolving to DH...

I have no problem letting the following go:

• Victor - bad contract
  • Zim - Bad contract
  • Pelf - bad contract
  • Sanchez - bad contract

We've gotta keep mcCann. There's no other catcher pushing for PT.

I can't do any better than CMD. Maybe I'm a little more solid on Shane Greene.  He'd be my 1st among equals for the 15th spot. WRT Cabrera, I have a hard time imagining any expansion team throwing that kind of money at player who has almost certainly seen his best days. I'd be unlikely to protect him unless there was something in the history of the drafting organization(s) to make me think there was a real risk, and even then I'd think twice....xD.

For me no bubble issue for KRod, he's theirs if they want him.

Alex Wilson? Upton? Not so sure about those.

Cabrera has to be protected. Not worth playing any games with that. You could likely trade him right now for a very good prospect package. You don't just let another team take that asset for nothing.

My 15 right now if the expansion draft was in November?    

Justin Verlander 
Miguel Cabrera 
Michael Fulmer 
Daniel Norris 
Nicolas Castellanos 
Jose Iglesias 
JaCoby Jones 
JD Martinez 
James McCann 
Christin Stewart 
Beau Burrows
Matt Boyd
Joe Jiminez
Bruce Rondon
Kevin Ziomek

As much as Northern New Jersey could do really well, the Mets, Phillies and Yankees would never let that happen.  

So I would probably rank things like this
1 - Montreal  (screwed out of their team, and the Canadian dollar won't stay weak forever with all that oil and fresh water they have) 
2 - Charlotte  (the size is right, but is there NASCAR season, football season and nothing else?)
3 - Portland  (people have said the minor league teams failed, but those were minor leagues and there's money in Portland)
4 - Indianapolis  (the crossroads of America would face resistance from the Reds & Cardinals)
5 - Nashville (Reds & Cardinals would object)

I think the Top 3 could all have teams in the future.  Expansion for two of them and the A's or Rays moving to another.  Are you ready for the Portland A's?  The Charlotte Rays?  Would the Charlotte Ray's logo be Mrs. Garrett from The Facts Of Life?   

Las Vegas?  Nah, no way.  
Austin, Texas?   the population is growing fast but its already overstuffed
Mexico City?  Well, the population and love for the game is there, but too many variables
Havana?  Maybe in 20 years when Loria's family tries to screw the citizens of Miami again because that stadium is too old. 
Oklahoma City, Salt Lake City, New Orleans, San Antonio - just don't feel like MLB cities.  

American League East  -  Baltimore, Boston, New York, Toronto
American League South - Charlotte, Houston, Tampa Bay, Texas
American League Central - Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota
American League West - Kansas City, Los Angeles, Oakland, Seattle

National League East - Montreal, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh
National League South - Atlanta, Cincinnati, Miami, Washington
National League Central - Chicago, Colorado, Milwaukee, St. Louis
National League West - Arizona, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco

162 games.   20 games vs. your division (60)  7 games vs. all the other league teams (84)  18 Interleague games with a each team having a "buddy" team in the other league they'd play every year for 6 of those games.   Like Yankees/Mets,  Cardinals/Royals,  Cubs/White Sox  - the Tigers buddy team would be the Pirates.    I know this would mean more 4 game series throughout the year.    No Interleague games in March/April or September.    Most of September would be division games.   

Or eliminate interleague play and it's 22 games vs. Division (66) and 8 games against the rest of the league (96) 

The DH would be universal.  A financial decision - teams don't cough up 20 million or more a year for pitchers to get hurt batting or running the bases.   

Season would start earlier than now and on a Friday.    The first two weeks of the season would only take place in warm weather cities or domed stadiums.   The cold weather cities would get more games in the middle of the season when the weather is unpleasant in the south and midwest.  

6 playoff teams, 4 division winners, 2 wild cards.   Top two records (that won their division) get first round byes.   First round is 3 games in 4 days.   Based on the formula - this year's playoff teams in bold above.  Tigers still don't make the playoffs

Burrows and Stewart would not need to be protected unless they changed the rules from the last expansion draft.

Also, with Ziomek's injury/surgery, there's no way you protect him, and that's not even accounting for the fact that he wasn't a very good prospect before the injury.

Oh, and Dean Green further up? Stop it.

• Like 1

I had a feeling either micro or edman would stop by to say something about Mean Dean Green.  

• Like 1

Would this be with Mike I, or Chris I/other owner, with the team?  I think that would make it completely different.

I wouldn't protect Cabrera. I'm not so confident someone gives us assets for him while eating his entire contract. If I get the chance to move on and start over there, I think I have to just do it. 

I think a team would take a Cabrera/Verlander if they are there during an Expansion draft.  You get the HOF'ish person and a franchise face for your brand new team, and sell tickets because of it.

On 10/16/2016 at 7:40 AM, Microline133 said:

Burrows and Stewart would not need to be protected unless they changed the rules from the last expansion draft.

Jiminez as well?

11 hours ago, PuNk42AE said:

I think a team would take a Cabrera/Verlander if they are there during an Expansion draft.  You get the HOF'ish person and a franchise face for your brand new team, and sell tickets because of it.

Agreed.   Expansion teams are usually flush with cash.  The only reason that they draft Bob Bailor's and Danny Meyer's is because that's usually the best available.

You have to admit, it was fun to see Dean Green's name on the original list.  I think that the best scouting report about Dean was posted by someone here who said that "he can hurt you with his glove, even at DH".

It would be fun to change it up now - you can protect 10 players and no one is exempt.  Here's mine - JV, Fulmer, Norris, Boyd, Jimenez, Cabrera, JD, Upton, Kinsler, and Castellenos.  After one player is selected you can protect another - I'm thinking that the first guy selected is Iglesias.  Whom do you protect?

On 10/16/2016 at 10:22 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

American League East  -  Baltimore, Boston, New York, Toronto
American League South - Charlotte, Houston, Tampa Bay, Texas
American League Central - Cleveland, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota
American League West - Kansas City, Los Angeles, Oakland, Seattle

National League East - Montreal, New York, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh
National League South - Atlanta, Cincinnati, Miami, Washington
National League Central - Chicago, Colorado, Milwaukee, St. Louis
National League West - Arizona, Los Angeles, San Diego, San Francisco

I think that the 4x4 concept is a poor one.  I don't want baseball to run the risk of a sub .500 team making the playoffs.  It was ridiculous to see it occur in the NFL the few times that it has happened. 

16 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Agreed.   Expansion teams are usually flush with cash.  The only reason that they draft Bob Bailor's and Danny Meyer's is because that's usually the best available.

And anybody good drafted is usually part of a trade package back to the team or on to another team, see Fryman, Travis. 

5 hours ago, Casimir said:

I think that the 4x4 concept is a poor one.  I don't want baseball to run the risk of a sub .500 team making the playoffs.  It was ridiculous to see it occur in the NFL the few times that it has happened. 

Is the risk any greater than it currently is? **** what were the cardinals in 2006?

23 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Is the risk any greater than it currently is? **** what were the cardinals in 2006?

The more that they divide the teams up, I think the answer is yes.

Off hand, I think those Cardinals were the 5th or 6th or 7th best team.

The 1993 Giants won 103 games and lost out to Atlanta (104) and Philadelphia (98).

I just prefer whatever method guarantees the best records into the playoffs.  If they went to 4 divisions, but a divisional crown didn't guarantee a playoff spot because they went with top X league records regardless of geography, I'd be fine with that.

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I just prefer whatever method guarantees the best records into the playoffs.  If they went to 4 divisions, but a divisional crown didn't guarantee a playoff spot because they went with top X league records regardless of geography, I'd be fine with that.

Then there is no reason to have divisions. 

32 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Then there is no reason to have divisions. 

Then no divisions works for me.

Actually, I'm fine with divisions for travel, rivalries, time zone differences, that sort of deal.  I just don't see the reason to reward a team for being the least sucky of a group of suck whilst another team that's better is trapped in a tougher division.

Divisions are going away.  I get that.  There's no other way to milk Yankees - Red Sox 18 times a season.  But if they were to expand, just go with 2 divisions per league.

MLB is going to expand at some point. And I think the result will be two divisions in each league. But I could see four divisions and two wild cards, with the bottom two division winners playing the wild card teams in a best of 3.