1st round exits: 2

Hawks: 2009 to 2017 (9 seasons)

Stanley Cups: 3

Cup Finals: 3

Conference Finals: 5

President's Trophy: 1

1st place in division: 3

1st round exits: 4

Oveckin and the Caps gone again.   Ovie still has never reached the conference finals.  Choking dogs, so happy to see it.  Washington is going to have to blow it up.

Washington, NYR, St. Louis and Edmonton all out. Going into last night, the Oilers and Capitals were the only remaining teams I found interesting. So with all four of the teams I preferred for the 2nd round losing, I don't have much interest going forward. Nashville beating Pittsburgh would be the best outcome SCF for me I guess.

Nashville has been fun to watch, that building looks pretty rowdy.  So I will probably pull for them.  Didn't like that Edmonton lost.

5 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Nashville has been fun to watch, that building looks pretty rowdy.  So I will probably pull for them.  Didn't like that Edmonton lost.

Everyone I know who has gone to a game in Nashville raves that it has a tremendous atmosphere inside the rink as well as outside in the rink's immediate vicinity. I would like to go there at some point. Carrie Underwood would welcome me with open arms.

32 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Everyone I know who has gone to a game in Nashville raves that it has a tremendous atmosphere inside the rink as well as outside in the rink's immediate vicinity. I would like to go there at some point. Carrie Underwood would welcome me with open arms.

Carrie is my girl, so, theres that...

I went to Nashville once, it wasn't hockey season, but near and around the arena was a very lively atmosphere, really fun city to go to.  Thing I also disliked about the Predators were their awkaward colored sweaters.

I will never take Predators fans seriously until they stop chanting the wrong goalie's name when trying to taunt other teams.  Last season they chanted Howard when Mrazek was in net and I forget who it was this season but I saw them chant the wrong goalie for an entire game again.  How do you mess that up?!

That being said, my preference of cup winners is Predators - Senators - A Giant Meteor Hitting The Earth - Ducks/Penguins

1 hour ago, drownwithyou said:

I will never take Predators fans seriously until they stop chanting the wrong goalie's name when trying to taunt other teams.  Last season they chanted Howard when Mrazek was in net and I forget who it was this season but I saw them chant the wrong goalie for an entire game again.  How do you mess that up?!

That being said, my preference of cup winners is Predators - Senators - A Giant Meteor Hitting The Earth - Ducks/Penguins

Anyone but Ottawa for me, as it stands.   I still have developed no real hatred for Pittsburgh, so either them or Nashville.  For sure never Ottawa and that goon Chris Neil.

I am sure the NHL would love a rematch from 07 of Ducks/Sens....how gross is that matchup?

34 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Anyone but Ottawa for me, as it stands.   I still have developed no real hatred for Pittsburgh, so either them or Nashville.  For sure never Ottawa and that goon Chris Neil.

I am sure the NHL would love a rematch from 07 of Ducks/Sens....how gross is that matchup?

I'm no fan of Neil or the Sens owner, but they are the lesser of two evils as I couldn't stomach a back to back Pens cup with all the Crosby love, etc.  I also have an extreme dislike for Horqvist, Kunitz, and Letang (I know he isn't playing).

The Ducks have an even more unlikable group than Pens for me, but I think the Pens winning recently tips the scales towards them being in last for me.

I would hate to see what lesson Kenny would take from a SCF between a #8 seed Nashville and a 98-point Ottawa team that finished out of the playoffs and behind the Wings last season.

I respect the Ducks. They had a couple of tough series versus the Wings. But then again, I don't live in Southern California.

3 hours ago, drownwithyou said:

If a Giant Meteor were to hit the Earth, we'd all be dead or struggling to survive yet Pittsburgh fans and media like termites would be yammering on about how the giant meteor unfairly targeted Crosby and caused yet another concussion.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I would hate to see what lesson Kenny would take from a SCF between a #8 seed Nashville and a 98-point Ottawa team that finished out of the playoffs and behind the Wings last season.

I respect the Ducks. They had a couple of tough series versus the Wings. But then again, I don't live in Southern California.

If there is a lesson to be taken, it has probably already been taken by them making it this far. 

It really isn't a horrible lesson. While it's preferable to have a team talented enough to be at the top of the conference over the regular season, it remains true that simply making the playoffs can ultimately result in a championship. 

If there are moves that can be made to get the wings back into the playoffs, it is at least defensible to make them.

24 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

I absolutely have no respect for Corey Perry, Ryan Getzlaf, or Ryan Kessler.  They are all giant babies which is a shame because they are very good players.  I also am a fan of some of their other players (I was so sad when they acquired Eaves) but my dislike of the trifecta of d-bags greatly overshadows the others for me.

Also they have the worst announcers in the league so it taints the whole org for me.

6 minutes ago, Shelton said:

If there is a lesson to be taken, it has probably already been taken by them making it this far.

It really isn't a horrible lesson. While it's preferable to have a team talented enough to be at the top of the conference over the regular season, it remains true that simply making the playoffs can ultimately result in a championship.

If there are moves that can be made to get the wings back into the playoffs, it is at least defensible to make them.

I think this is why hockey has always been so appealing to me.  Your statement is dead on, if you make the playoffs in the NHL anyone can win, and not through a fluke, those playoffs are a grind.  Baseball is the same way, but the playoffs are more exclusive.

28 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I think when the Wings were a marginal playoff team, as they were between 2012-2016, there's an argument to be had that making your team a bit stronger gives them the possibility of making a deep run. It's an argument I made against tanking. Even post-2009, there were several seasons in which the Wings had more regular season points than one of the two Stanley Cup finalists.

But that was then. The Wings aren't a bubble team. They're among the league's worst. Holland could make all the "win now" moves he wanted this off-season and the Wings' ceiling would be barely making the playoffs. And the odd Ottawa or Nashville aside, teams that barely make the playoffs rarely are legit contenders.

49 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

If a Giant Meteor were to hit the Earth, we'd all be dead or struggling to survive yet Pittsburgh fans and media like termites would be yammering on about how the giant meteor unfairly targeted Crosby and caused yet another concussion.

This is bar down material.

For the second consecutive summer the Habs make a big trade. Acquire Jonathan Drouin from the Lightning for a guy they took #9 overall last draft. Plus a conditional pick for each team that won't come into play. I think Drouin is a talent, but I can see him getting rattled as a French-Canadian in the Montreal fishbowl.