Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Bigglesworth

2016-17 NHL Discussion Thread

22 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

I like the delusion of wings fans. After this year, the wings will be in the Leafs rearview mirror.  Your post is a perfect example, you're celebrating leaf losses, while the fans are hoping for another top 10 pick, because the team is flush with young talent.  This entire year is a season of "let's watch the young kids, winning and losing is secondary."  Matthews is head and shoulders better than any Wings player, and he is 19. 

I'd hope Matthews is better, he was picked higher than any of the Wings players.

On 10/24/2016 at 10:44 AM, T&P_Fan said:

I like the delusion of wings fans. After this year, the wings will be in the Leafs rearview mirror.  Your post is a perfect example, you're celebrating leaf losses, while the fans are hoping for another top 10 pick, because the team is flush with young talent.  This entire year is a season of "let's watch the young kids, winning and losing is secondary."  Matthews is head and shoulders better than any Wings player, and he is 19. 

Speaking of delusional :P

You asked if the Leafs would be better than the Wings this season. I said no, not yet. There was a 24 point gap between the two teams last season, not delusional to think that won't be closed in one year. I predict the Wings will finish ahead of the Leafs next year too. After that, jury's still out. I did say that Matthews could become part of an NHL Big 3, so I was hardly being overly negative.

Some Leafs fans think the Leafs soon surging to elite status is as predictable as the impact of Harbaugh joining Michigan or LeBron returning to Cleveland. I don't think it works like that in the NHL.

Most realistic result is that in 3 years the Leafs will start a 5 year run where they finish in the top 1/3 of the NHL and make the conference finals once or twice, maybe a SCF. Recent comparisons being Vancouver, St. Louis, San Jose and Washington. Much less likely is winning 1 or more Cups like Chicago, Los Angeles or Pittsburgh, which is no more likely to happen than the Leafs flopping like HFBoards darlings of recent years such as Edmonton, Colorado, Arizona, Ottawa and Winnipeg.

The Leafs have good offensive potential. Their defense is atrocious and their goaltending is weak. Lou has done the easy work so far of tearing things down, the hard work hasn't even started. Would depress me to be cheering for losses 5 games into a season and celebrating 3 big blown late leads.

On 10/24/2016 at 10:46 AM, T&P_Fan said:

I am not shocked, he stinks.  And seems to fold under pressure.  3 games already this season the Leafs have lost 5-4 in OT/SO, 4 goals should you get you a win most nights.  But Andersen is an awful goalie.

If that's the case then the Leafs made a massive offseason blunder. Because they committed to him as their #1 for the foreseeable future by trading a 1st and a 2nd for him and signing him to a Jimmy Howard-like contract of 5 years at $5mm/per.  It's only been 2 weeks, so way too soon to give up on him, but if he truly stinks or is awful it's going  to be hard to accumulate points or make a dramatic rise in the standings the next few years. But it's not as if goalie is an important position or anything.

On 10/24/2016 at 1:46 PM, T&P_Fan said:

I am not shocked, he stinks.  And seems to fold under pressure.  3 games already this season the Leafs have lost 5-4 in OT/SO, 4 goals should you get you a win most nights.  But Andersen is an awful goalie.

Goalies are funny. They seem prone to inexplicable slumps  - a little like hitters in baseball sometimes.

11 hours ago, lordstanley said:

If that's the case then the Leafs made a massive offseason blunder. Because they committed to him as their #1 for the foreseeable future by trading a 1st and a 2nd for him and signing him to a Jimmy Howard-like contract of 5 years at $5mm/per.  It's only been 2 weeks, so way too soon to give up on him, but if he truly stinks or is awful it's going  to be hard to accumulate points or make a dramatic rise in the standings the next few years. But it's not as if goalie is an important position or anything.

I'm actually hoping for a high pick again this season, I don't mind them stinking.  And you can always get out from contracts in the NHL, some teams need to meet the floor.  Not worried at all about the contract, more worried about no major injuries this season, development from the youngest roster in the league, and a high pick.

Andersen has seemed to of found his game.  Leafs with 2 wins a row, the one in Buffalo thanks to 42 Andersen saves.  The game against Edmonton was a good one, topped off with Kadri OT goal where he out maneuvered McDavid for the game winner.  See how these next few games go at home.  A win tonight has them in fine divisional position.  Keep growing young team.  The win in Buffalo was especially sweet, seems the Leafs haven't won there in 5 years.

And how about the Habs giving up 10 last night?

Another win last night over a bad Vancouver team.  Puts the leafs in a playoff position.  I know it's early, but they are holding their own. 

1 hour ago, T&P_Fan said:

Another win last night over a bad Vancouver team.  Puts the leafs in a playoff position.  I know it's early, but they are holding their own. 

Marner is off to a nice start. He was scintillating in junior but I was skeptical whether his game would translate well to the NHL. So far so good for him, although I still expect there to be more bumps along the way in his development than for Matthews or Nylander.

Marner just won't stop, another beauty tonight.  Matthews isn't scoring at all, but the Leafs seem to have a knack for scoring 6 goals a game at home.  Back to back wins has the leafs sitting nicely.  They don't play too well on the road at the moment, but nice to see them learning to play well on home ice.  At MTL on saturday, that will be a tough one.  Andersen has been much better in the month of November, seems to have found a little consistency. 

Stamkos out for 4 months?  What a bummer for him. 

11 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Stamkos out for 4 months?  What a bummer for him. 

He may be my favourite player in the league aside from Red Wings. Sad to hear the news.

Leafs go into the christmas break with two wins against two bad teams.  But it is the first time they have won twice on consecutive days this season, so that's a step forward.  Matthews had a goal and a assist over the two games.  Then he got to spend xmas at home in Arizona.  Very nice.

Leafs, on xmas day find themselves 5 points out of a playoff spot, but 3 games in hand on the Bruins.  They also have two games in hand on Florida and Tampa who are 1 and 2 points ahead of them.  Toronto opens the post holiday break on the road against Florida and Tampa, so they have an immediate opportunity to seriously thrust themselves into the playoff picture. 

Toronto is 1 point ahead of the Wings with a game in hand.  Wings are 5-0 in the shootout, Toronto is 0-5.  So weird, the team with the better snipers can't buy a victory in the shootout, and it's impossible for the Wings to lose a shootout, so frustrating. 

Just watched the final 2 minutes of Columbus' 13th straight victory, at home over Boston. Exciting atmosphere. That franchise has been rejuvenated. Or, since they've never been any good, maybe just juvenated.

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 9:42 PM, lordstanley said:

Just watched the final 2 minutes of Columbus' 13th straight victory, at home over Boston. Exciting atmosphere. That franchise has been rejuvenated. Or, since they've never been any good, maybe just juvenated.

13 in a row is quite the oddity.  I don't know what to make of it.  Somehow they are still a point behind the pens for first in their division, but they do have 4 games in hand. 

Leafs won another one last night, that is 3 in a row and 4 in a row on the road.  Matthews with a goal and an assist.  Marner had at least 3 breakways and couldn't beat Luongo, finally solved him in the shootout though.  Leafs first shootout win of the season.  Anderson, after a rough start, is playing really good hockey right now, save percentage is now top 10 in the league.

Toronto sits 3 points behind the 3rd place bruins with only Tampa in between, who they trail by 2 points.  Leafs in Tampa tonight, and have 2 games in hand on Tampa and 3 in hand on Boston.  Couple more weeks of sound hockey and the leafs will find themselves flirting with the playoffs.  7-4-4 in their past 15 games, good enough for a 98 pt pace.  This team is starting to look a real hockey squad. 

Also, I am really disliking the volume of 3 point games.  So many games go to OT, they just need to roll with 3 on 3 until there is a winner.  If you keep the loser point for OT games then you need to award 3 points for a regulation win.  Get rid of the awful shootout once and for all. 

I hate OT turns games into 3 point affairs.

Say what you will about games ending in a tie, but all games ending with 2 total points awarded back in the day (either both with 1 point or one with 2, the other with 0) was a better arrangement for records.

Alternately, I guess I never quite squared the idea losing a game in overtime merits a point, but losing a game in the last 5 minutes in regulation merits none.

If you can play 16 innings in MLB and come away with nothing for a loss, and if any one of only 16 games in an NFL season can result in an OT loss without anything to show for it, there's no reason for loser points in hockey. I hate them.

14 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

If you can play 16 innings in MLB and come away with nothing for a loss, and if any one of only 16 games in an NFL season can result in an OT loss without anything to show for it, there's no reason for loser points in hockey. I hate them.

agree. The old argument against OT until someone wins was that hockey was too exhausting to keep playing. But if you hold it to 3 on 3, you are not impacting a whole team nearly as much.

then again, I never had an issue with ties in the 1st place. But I don't like the 3 pt game either and I really hate the shoot-out

Here we go again with the 3 point games. Leafs beat bolts in OT.  MTL beats Florida in OT and now wings and senators head to overtime. 

Separation is the enemy of the NHL.   6 teams in the same division all getting at least 1 point.  Why bother.  

This bye week in the NHL is ridiculous. 

It's nice that the leafs will have games in hand, but this is insane.  When the leafs play Friday they will have 6 games in hand on Boston.  The Leafs never play.

On 1/11/2017 at 10:26 AM, T&P_Fan said:

This bye week in the NHL is ridiculous. 

It's nice that the leafs will have games in hand, but this is insane.  When the leafs play Friday they will have 6 games in hand on Boston.  The Leafs never play.

Weird for sure. And Babcock says, possibly a bit dangerous or at least fatiguing to have long breaks followed by crammed games.

But clearly the Leafs are in playoff position at the moment. Tied with Ottawa for second-best record in the Atlantic. For simplicity, when looking at standings I give teams a point per game when looking at games in hand.

For Leafs with respect to the Bruins, I'd say the over/under on their 6 games in hand is around 7 points, so the Leafs and Ottawa are likely to get to the 47-game mark with around 55 points. Boston has 51 points after 47. Detroit has 44 in 44 so let's say 47 in 47. So the Wings' aren't really 4 points out of the automatic Atlantic Division spots, more like 8 points. On the other hand, Philly's slump means the 2nd wildcard is back in play for everyone, with the Flyers having 50 points in 46 games. The Wings are still out of it, IMO, unless they soon go on a 17-point in 10 games stretch.

Leafs have a chance to clinch a playoff berth tonight, who saw this coming.  The group of rookies for Toronto has been out of this world.  Matthews needs one more goal for 40.  The rookies were better than advertised.  Marner and Nylander haven't let up down the stretch.