Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Bigglesworth

2016-17 NHL Discussion Thread

I don't know much about our new goalie Andersen, but what I saw last night was awful.  Leafs were all over the Sens, Matthews best player on the ice by a mile, but of course our goalie couldn't make one ******* save.  So sick of this.  Every goalie that comes to Toronto is a damn sieve.  Make one damn save. 

Not worried though, this Leafs team has good talent on the ice, 6 rookies.  Maybe another high draft pick?  Who knows.  Will be much more fun to watch this year. 

Andersen was horrible.

Goal #1 he gave up an inexcusable rebound.  I mean I would be pissed at my Bantam goalie if he gives up that rebound.

Goal #3 was a bad angle shot on the ice.  No way should he allow a good rebound on that, let alone a goal.

Goals 2, 4, and 5 weren't his fault.

Chicago and St. Louis are clearly better teams than Toronto and Ottawa.

Nothing earth shattering there, but watching the games in real time make that point really obvious.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I just wanted to reiterate Matthews' 2nd goal was simply awesome.

That was sooo beautiful, involved a nice steal from Karlsson too.

So Leafs to have their rookie break a record for goals and still lose.  I was never really big on Andersen so I was pleased when the Leafs gave him a big contract.  It was only one game though.

Pretty crazy first night of hockey with Neal starting it off with some head bleeding on Hunwick, Matthews scoring 4, Oilers/Flames goal show, Jon Quick freakout.... hockey is back baby.

Why is everyone with so concerned that they still lost, it's one game in an 82 game season.  I got like 5 text messages this morning from friends saying the Leafs lost.  Get the **** out of here. 

7 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

Why is everyone with so concerned that they still lost, it's one game in an 82 game season.  I got like 5 text messages this morning from friends saying the Leafs lost.  Get the **** out of here. 

They did it to troll you.  Sounds like it worked.

Just now, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

They did it to troll you.  Sounds like it worked.

I am craving good Leafs hockey like no other.   Like Tiger Woods, I am vulnerable. 

13 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

I am craving good Leafs hockey like no other.   Like Tiger Woods, I am vulnerable. 

Even if this year is bad results wise you have to be excited about the team's future.

14 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

Even if this year is bad results wise you have to be excited about the team's future.

No doubt, they won't be a bottom feeder much longer.  Perennial playoff team starting next season. 

Leafs with a win yesterday over Boston, 4-1.  It was obvious again that Toronto was the better team on the ice.  Two more rookies get their first goal as well.  Nice start to the season.  Leafs finish ahead of the Wings this year?

6 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Leafs with a win yesterday over Boston, 4-1.  It was obvious again that Toronto was the better team on the ice.  Two more rookies get their first goal as well.  Nice start to the season.  Leafs finish ahead of the Wings this year?

Nope. Not yet. Leafs finish ahead of the Canucks this year? I wouldn't bet on it. I think the Canucks will surprise - not as a playoff team, but beat out a few teams in their conference.

Text I received from a guy I play I play pick-up with last night:

"Toronto goes up 4-0.  ****s the bed in the third.  Loses in OT 5-4.  It's that important, I'm sending a group text."

• Like 1

That was a great game last night.  Leafs showed their youth, and again, Andersen showed that he is awful.  He comes so far out of the crease to challenge shots, that any cross ice passes are guaranteed goals if the passes are completed.  Matthews with a breakaway, gets stoned, then Laine comes back 14 seconds later and buries the winner.  Frustrating they lost, but there will be some growing pains this year.   Incredibly fun to watch real talent, first time since ???

Yet another loss by the Leafs last night, their 3rd in 4 games to start the season. 

As my good friend Michelle Obama once advised, "when they go low, you go high".

That's the approach the Wings have taken the past 25 years. When the Leafs go low in the standings, the Wings go high in the standings.

I don't see that changing anytime soon.

• Like 1

I think Toronto, assuming Shanny and Co. don't screw this up, are going to be an exciting team to watch in the coming years. Austin Matthews will be a fine NHL player for sure!

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think Toronto, assuming Shanny and Co. don't screw this up, are going to be an exciting team to watch in the coming years. Austin Matthews will be a fine NHL player for sure!

McDavid, Matthews and Laine a potential NHL Big 3.

On 10/21/2016 at 3:47 PM, lordstanley said:

Yet another loss by the Leafs last night, their 3rd in 4 games to start the season. 

That's the approach the Wings have taken the past 25 years. When the Leafs go low in the standings, the Wings go high in the standings.

I like the delusion of wings fans. After this year, the wings will be in the Leafs rearview mirror.  Your post is a perfect example, you're celebrating leaf losses, while the fans are hoping for another top 10 pick, because the team is flush with young talent.  This entire year is a season of "let's watch the young kids, winning and losing is secondary."  Matthews is head and shoulders better than any Wings player, and he is 19. 

On 10/21/2016 at 3:47 PM, lordstanley said:

Also, leafs only have one regulation loss, technicality that you skirted over. 

On 10/21/2016 at 11:56 AM, drownwithyou said:

I was never very impressed with Andersen but I'm shocked he's already turned into a pumpkin.

I am not shocked, he stinks.  And seems to fold under pressure.  3 games already this season the Leafs have lost 5-4 in OT/SO, 4 goals should you get you a win most nights.  But Andersen is an awful goalie.