Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

#4 Michigan vs. Rutgers - 10/8/16

1 minute ago, Shelton said:

Sure. Easy enough to try to swing by for lunch and bail if it's a no go.

Call first.  Places like that generally are not open for lunch.  

Call first.  Places like that generally are not open for lunch.  

Huh. You're right. They are closed. That's not what I was expecting.

I went to places like that all time for lunch in Chicago.

27 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Huh. You're right. They are closed. That's not what I was expecting.

I went to places like that all time for lunch in Chicago.

It will depend on where you are in the country.

Places like Ruth's Chris and The Chop House are considered fine dining in Michigan.  Usually those types of places wont do a lunch menu, at least during the week.  You might get one on the weekend.  

Those two places in Chicago will be considered normal restaurants and offer lunch menus.  Where your fine dining spots, the Michelin rated places, will not offer lunch.  Again, some might on Saturday/Sunday but almost never during the week.

It will depend on where you are in the country.

Places like Ruth's Chris and The Chop House are considered fine dining in Michigan.  Usually those types of places wont do a lunch menu, at least during the week.  You might get one on the weekend.  

Those two places in Chicago will be considered normal restaurants and offer lunch menus.  Where your fine dining spots, the Michelin rated places, will not offer lunch.  Again, some might on Saturday/Sunday but almost never during the week.

That's really interesting. Honestly, Ruth's Chris is in an awful location. I never see anyone in there (during dinner hours). I don't understand why they wouldn't open for lunch. I would t be surprised to see them shut down within the next year.

Knight's downtown location is open for lunch. Although that probably isn't considered fine dining by any means.

Seriously, though, Ruth's Chris considers themselves to be fine dining? That's funny.

28 minutes ago, Shelton said:

That's really interesting. Honestly, Ruth's Chris is in an awful location. I never see anyone in there (during dinner hours). I don't understand why they wouldn't open for lunch. I would t be surprised to see them shut down within the next year.

Knight's downtown location is open for lunch. Although that probably isn't considered fine dining by any means.

Seriously, though, Ruth's Chris considers themselves to be fine dining? That's funny.

Yeah, it looks like they might be struggling.

Looking at their alcohol sales from the middle of May last year until the end of the year, they did $49K.  Jan 1st to end of August so far this year they have only done $39K.

Less sales in a longer time period is bad news.

16 hours ago, Shelton said:

That's really interesting. Honestly, Ruth's Chris is in an awful location..

HaHa! Clearly who ever picked it was not and didn't talk to an Ann Arbor native. The south end of 4th has been the graveyard of a bunch of restaurants since we've been here. When the 5th Forum theatre was still there and still viable that spot on 4th at least got 'dinner and a movie' traffic, but the 5th Forum has been gone a couple of decades now.

HaHa! Clearly who ever picked it was not and didn't talk to an Ann Arbor native. The south end of 4th has been the graveyard of a bunch of restaurants since we've been here. When the 5th Forum theatre was still there and still viable that spot on 4th at least got 'dinner and a movie' traffic, but the 5th Forum has been gone a couple of decades now.

My only thought is that the garbage location resulted in a very friendly lease situation, given how many failed ventures have been in that spot. It sat dormant for so long. But there was a substantial tear down and rebuild of that space prior to RC opening. Who knows who footed the bill for that.

I see people are now making future reservations in anticipation of other big wins.

If they are struggling, maybe this will be the promotion to help turn things around.

What percentage of a meal at that place is profit, del?

At the very least it is a good opportunity to remind folks in town that it exists.

They literally had a sign outside a few weeks ago that said "open to the public" or "public welcome" or something like that.

A course billing yourself as a steak house in Tofu town is probably two strikes against you before you even open the doors.

30 minutes ago, Shelton said:

At the very least it is a good opportunity to remind folks in town that it exists.

They literally had a sign outside a few weeks ago that said "open to the public" or "public welcome" or something like that.

On a steak, 150-200% maybe.  RC can probably push it higher because they have some purchasing power as a chain.  The sides can be well over 500%, Well drinks about 500%, soft drinks about 1,000%.  

On a steak, 150-200% maybe.  RC can probably push it higher because they have some purchasing power as a chain.  The sides can be well over 500%, Well drinks about 500%, soft drinks about 1,000%.  

So they will still be raking it in even with this promotion then.

I'll be honest, I've never eaten at this location, but I have gone in for drink during happy hour a couple times. And I took a look at the menu and was pretty shocked at the pricing for their steaks.

This promotion seems to have been a success. I think it would make sense to try it out during basketball season, at least for the conference games that start after the new year. Keep getting people in the door and build up that customer base and hope for some repeat visits down the line.

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

alcohol not included in the deal if that wasn't mentioned already

3 hours ago, Shelton said:

So they will still be raking it in even with this promotion then.

I'll be honest, I've never eaten at this location, but I have gone in for drink during happy hour a couple times. And I took a look at the menu and was pretty shocked at the pricing for their steaks.

This promotion seems to have been a success. I think it would make sense to try it out during basketball season, at least for the conference games that start after the new year. Keep getting people in the door and build up that customer base and hope for some repeat visits down the line.

The risk there is if people just won't go unless after a huge win, but even that is better than no one coming.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

The risk there is if people just won't go unless after a huge win, but even that is better than no one coming.

That won't be a problem if they are doing their job right.

This story has run all over the country. RC corporate offices should kick the franchisee some cash for the free publicity.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Might be the most effective advertising they've ever done.

And they even got it Nationally as at least the 'Today Show' talked about it.

On 10/8/2016 at 10:48 PM, Euphdude said:

Harbaugh will have his team ready, as will Dantonio.  It will be a close game.

I don't see MSU being within 20 of Michigan.  UM will amped, and State is a bad football team this season.  Blowout is my prediction. 

28 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

I don't see MSU being within 20 of Michigan.  UM will amped, and State is a bad football team this season.  Blowout is my prediction. 

Dantonio is a virtuoso of making his players believe that no one respect them , and all of college football is out to get them.  He'll be able to play into that hand like melted butter, so I have no doubt MSU will play its best game of the year by far against UM.