Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

Preseason 2016

On 10/12/2016 at 1:26 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

Of course we really don't have all that much data on whether underhand is a good strategy or not. Berry is the last guy to use it much but he was such a skilled player I bet his FT % woud have been fine if he had shot them overhand.

The more interesting question is where did the whole "underhand is for sissies" really start? Pro Baseball players use underhand tosses all the time on the IF. Women's fast pitch SB is no game for sissies. If the point is to win and you win by putting the ball in the hoop who cares how you do it?

My guess is it started with stupid Junior High coaches trying to relive their glory days by making 12 year olds feel like ****.  But I'm not bitter.

Morris has knee tendinitis now?  I know it said mild in the tweet but that has to be concerning, no?

Good to see that Ish had a big game.  Hopefully he's getting more comfortable in the starting role, the guy has legit skills.

Yeah, that's the worry.  Knee tendinitis no matter how minor has the potential to be debilitating over time so if it's already flaring up, it could be a season long issue.

Pistons will be under .500 without reggie and a smidge over 500 with him.  The longer he is out, the better the chances the pistons will not make the playoffs. (duh)

Ish smith is a nice backup/3rd point guard.  He is easily stopped on the pick and roll by teams that are actually trying to stop him.  You never have to go over the pick because he cant shoot.  You never have to guard the pistons "shooters" because theyre not very good at shooting.  And the players that can shoot ok arent good at anything else.

.500 team with an outside shot at the 6th/7th/8th seed only because they have a really good coach.  

In a couple years we will see if van gundy can still get the most out of this group considering he grates on players and hasnt shown much in the way of changing his attitude.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

Pistons will be under .500 without reggie and a smidge over 500 with him.  The longer he is out, the better the chances the pistons will not make the playoffs. (duh)

Ish smith is a nice backup/3rd point guard.  He is easily stopped on the pick and roll by teams that are actually trying to stop him.  You never have to go over the pick because he cant shoot.  You never have to guard the pistons "shooters" because theyre not very good at shooting.  And the players that can shoot ok arent good at anything else.

.500 team with an outside shot at the 6th/7th/8th seed only because they have a really good coach.  

In a couple years we will see if van gundy can still get the most out of this group considering he grates on players and hasnt shown much in the way of changing his attitude.

This is a bad basketball take.  I would bet against the Pistons being under .500 without reggie. 

11 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

This is a bad basketball take.  I would bet against the Pistons being under .500 without reggie. 

I would bet very strongly on you overrating your favorite teams.

Here are the first 20 games.  

Obvious attempt by Reggie to dodge OKC this year.

1 Wed, Oct 26, 2016 7:30p ET NBALP   @ Toronto Raptors                
2 Fri, Oct 28, 2016 7:30p ET NBALP     Orlando Magic                
3 Sun, Oct 30, 2016 6:00p ET NBALP     Milwaukee Bucks                
4 Tue, Nov 1, 2016 7:30p ET NBALP     New York Knicks                
5 Wed, Nov 2, 2016 7:30p ET NBALP   @ Brooklyn Nets                
6 Sat, Nov 5, 2016 7:00p ET NBALP     Denver Nuggets                
7 Mon, Nov 7, 2016 10:30p ET NBALP   @ Los Angeles Clippers                
8 Wed, Nov 9, 2016 9:00p ET NBALP   @ Phoenix Suns                
9 Fri, Nov 11, 2016 8:30p ET NBALP   @ San Antonio Spurs                
10 Sat, Nov 12, 2016 9:00p ET NBATV   @ Denver Nuggets                
11 Mon, Nov 14, 2016 7:30p ET NBALP     Oklahoma City Thunder                
12 Wed, Nov 16, 2016 7:30p ET NBALP   @ New York Knicks                
13 Fri, Nov 18, 2016 7:30p ET NBALP   @ Cleveland Cavaliers                
14 Sat, Nov 19, 2016 7:00p ET NBALP     Boston Celtics                
15 Mon, Nov 21, 2016 7:30p ET NBALP     Houston Rockets                
16 Wed, Nov 23, 2016 7:30p ET NBALP     Miami Heat                
17 Fri, Nov 25, 2016 7:30p ET NBALP     Los Angeles Clippers                
18 Sat, Nov 26, 2016 8:00p ET NBALP   @ Oklahoma City Thunder                
19 Tue, Nov 29, 2016 7:00p ET NBALP   @ Charlotte Hornets                
20 Wed, Nov 30, 2016 7:30p ET NBATV   @ Boston Celtics

I need to stay away from RealGM.

I saw someone suggest Silent G should start over KCP.  You know, because he has played a whole one game now, in the preseason, against Philly.

I saw someone else point out SJ only played 9 minutes and wondered if he would be in the regular season rotation or not.

Silent G has looked a little hesitant to shoot the two times I've seen him since he graduated, and not real assertive handling the rock.  That he showed some signs of life--even against Philly--is definitely a good thing.  I don't think there is a huge--if any--talent deficit between him and any of our wing players.  He's a late-bloomer that needs a little polish and playing time to get up to speed, and hopefully the DL will do that for him.  While I don't know if he's worth the 5* grade he received in HS, I do know that he's a kid that can inject energy, defensive athleticism and secondary ball handling into a lineup that could use all of that.  It just might be next year when that actually happens.

One of the good things, if not the best thing, about SVG's roster is that there are a lot of interchangeable parts between 2-4.  Not only does it give the team depth but it allows for trades.  And I do think there will be some trades over the next 12 months, with nobody being off-limits.

I just remember last preseason when everyone raved about Bullock.  Then he couldn't get off the bench for the first 50 games of the year.

The Pistons have the #1 ranked defense in preseason.  They have the 8th worst ranked offense.

Actually, 5th worst offense when you takeout the foreign teams NBA.com has listed.

30 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

By the way.  That was the second game in a row without a TO from Ish.

He's a true pg, no doubt.  I just wish we had better shooters in the rotation for him to kick to.

31 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I just remember last preseason when everyone raved about Bullock.  Then he couldn't get off the bench for the first 50 games of the year.

Bullock disappearing like he does on offense is maddening.  I do like that stroke of his, though.  I wish he could handle.

Silent G and our teenage wunderbig need lots of run in GR, then we'll see what's up--maybe.  I like that both of them are active, and that both can catch-and-shoot.