Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

Preseason 2016

I would love to see the rookies get some run tonight but I'm not holding my breath.  Any word if Hilliard will play?

It would be nice to get a healthy dose of Boban going against his old team.  I think.

38 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

I would love to see the rookies get some run tonight but I'm not holding my breath.  Any word if Hilliard will play?

It would be nice to get a healthy dose of Boban going against his old team.  I think.

Ish is so much better running the break when he can just make stuff up.  He seems to be struggling to run half court sets.  That is normal for a new guy to the system though.

Not really encouraged by Stanley Johnson and KCP...two guys we need to show improvement haven't at all

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I watched just a little bit and it has to be McCallum as the 3rd PG. Brown didn't record a single assist tonight. D Leaguer. 

Preseason is meaningless. But the Jackson injuries hurt. I recall his thumb being hurt last season so I wasn't shocked to hear that. He will miss 6 weeks of the season.... so roughly 20 games. 

For that time, we will be playing a backup PG starter minutes and a third PG backup minutes. 

I love Ish. But it could be an ugly beginning to the year. Hopeful for 10-10. 

We'll miss him to a degree, but we can make it through 20 games. 12-8 is my prediction That's not an indictment of Jackson, I just think we're set up to handle it. I see us as a very deep team.  Not at the PG spot, but they'll spread Reggie's minutes around and lean on starters for a few more minutes a game if need be. Over 20 games, the effect likely ends up being minimal. He's worth 7 win shares a season and the guys replacing his minutes won't be 0 WS guys. I don't see Stanley as a PG, but I do think he'll need to step up in general in Reggie's absence. We will need guys to create offense. 

Also remember, SVG rarely struggles to get production out of his PG spot. 

It is so difficult to judge anything based on preseason play.

You are not running your full offense.  You are not running your full defense.  You're playing with guys you wont ever play with during the season.  

You're also put in odd situations that make it difficult on you.  SJ didn't make his first appearance last night until the end of the 3rd quarter.  It's incredibly difficult to sit for 2 1/2 quarters and then be expected to come in and perform well.  

I only got to see a little of the game last night, but I am pretty sure I would rather go watch the local JUCO's inter-squad game on most days than watch any more than I did.

--Brown is a shooting guard.  If we are going to play a shooting guard at PG, Hilliard probably needs to be considered before Brown.

--Drummond handled the ball far too much last night, and at times he was well beyond shooting range.

--Leuer looked good with the ball, pretty happy with picking him up this summer.  I would be ok with SVG dealing Harris for upgrades elsewhere and starting Leuer.

--KCP didn't show me any progression from last year.

--Ish looked like the new guy last night.  If our guys knock down jumpers he'll average a lot of dimes during Reggie's absence.

Agree with Sydney, perhaps .500 ball will be as good as it gets for the Pistons without Reggie.  The team could easily end up south of that mark by the time he returns.  The team is going to miss Reggie's ability to create offense for himself, not to mention he's one of only two real playmakers on the roster. 

I only caught a bit myself.  Ish runs the team much better on the break than Reggie does, gets the ball up court quick and is good at finding open shooters.  The problem is that he doesn't present much of an outside threat so when they get bogged down in the half court, the defense can play off of him so it's harder to get into the paint and distribute.  It's only his 2nd game in the new system so some kinks need to be worked out but they are going to miss Reggie's scoring ability in the half court and it will be especially prevalent late in 4th quarters.

KCP and SJ look rusty.  I expected more from SJ to start because he had Summer League experience to keep him fresh.  We need him to take the next step especially with Reggie out.

Really like Leuer, like him a lot.  An athletic big who can shoot, has a nice touch close to the basket and can handle the ball.  Defense looks a bit rough but he was playing against Leonard who will make most forwards look like fools.  Would have liked to have seen more from Ellenson, SVG raved about him big time and when SVG raves about a player, you know it's legit.  The problem is that he's stuck behind two really good players so he won't get much run this season in all likelihood.

It's hard to believe that regular season is only starting in 2 weeks.   Kind of snuck up on us, didn't it?

1 hour ago, mickeyb105 said:

--Leuer looked good with the ball, pretty happy with picking him up this summer.  I would be ok with SVG dealing Harris for upgrades elsewhere and starting Leuer.

He is everything we wanted Illyasova to be.  He will actually take the open jumper, and can take people off the bounce a bit if they close hard on his jumper.

I wouldn't be comfortable with him starting though.

Leuer starting would probably be ok with the right roster construction, but no reason to deal our depth. Harris is key to our success this season. You only deal any of our starters now if its for a superstar.

I really dislike the lack of secondary ballhandler/facilitators on the team, and it could really be a ****-show until Jackson comes back.

13 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

I really dislike the lack of secondary ballhandler/facilitators on the team, and it could really be a ****-show until Jackson comes back.

Ish is going to have to play A LOT of minutes.  The one idea that I hope SVG gets out of his head is experimenting with SJ at the point.  I like SJ more than most but ballhandling isn't his biggest strength.

PG - The lack of Reggie is really going to hurt this team. Ish can handle the ball, but that's about it. It didn't take long for SA to realize they didn't have to guard him because he's afraid to shoot. And when he puts it up, you realize why. He shoots the three like a middle school kid who lacks the strength to get it there. As a backup PG, he's solid. As a starter, this is going to be rough.

It's surprising to me that we're in this position. Last year SVG went on and on about how there's only 2 positions left in basketball and you have to be sure you have at least 3 guys at each of those positions (PG and Center). Well, we came into camp with only 2 real PGs and some D League scrubs. A solid vet like Blake would actually have been nice to have right now.

You guys are saying we can be .500 without Reggie, but I'm not so sure that's true since he's our only halfcourt playmaker, which is an issue I've been pointing to all off-season.

SG - The SG position was pretty rough as well. KCP didn't shoot it well although he played nice defense. Hilliard is a disaster. He still looks like it's his first day. Afraid to shoot, poor defender, looks lost. Luckily we don't need to play him since we have SJ and Bullock.

SF - Morris fouled out of this game in no time, which was fine because it meant SJ getting some time on the court. Stanley's shot still looks pretty bad, but he played well on defense and brought energy. His shooting is going to be a work in progress since he's trying to change his release this year.

PF - Harris was his usual self. He played well and quietly put up a nice stat line since he usually does his damage within the normal flow of the offense. Leuer was impressive once again. Unless he's just a preseason wonder, he's going to be a really nice upgrade for the bench. I think I probably underestimated his athleticism as well. Solid pickup and the real bright spot so far.

C - Andre did his thing and picked up a double double. Can't say that I see much difference in him from last year. Really wish he would've found a map to the weight room in the off-season. His free throws looked better and more consistent, but the results were the same. Baynes was mediocre as usual. Stone hands still in effect and the Baynes/Drummond combo was absolutely terrible. SVG stopped the experiment pretty quickly. Would've been great to see Boban play, but no such luck.

The early part of their schedule is fairly easy.  The first six games before going out west:

@Toronto

Orlando

Milwaukee

New York

@Brooklyn

Denver

Even without Reggie I think 5-1 is a real possibility there.

Then four games out west with Phoenix and Denver being two possible wins.

52 minutes ago, mickeyb105 said:

Maybe but Smith is more of a pure facilitator than Reggie so I think that covers you a bit. Stanley and Tobias handle a bit more and you figure it out. You probably force it to Drummond,Leuer and Boban in the post a bit more too

3 hours ago, mickeyb105 said:

I only got to see a little of the game last night, but I am pretty sure I would rather go watch the local JUCO's inter-squad game on most days than watch any more than I did.

--Brown is a shooting guard.  If we are going to play a shooting guard at PG, Hilliard probably needs to be considered before Brown.

--Drummond handled the ball far too much last night, and at times he was well beyond shooting range.

--KCP didn't show me any progression from last year.

--Ish looked like the new guy last night.  If our guys knock down jumpers he'll average a lot of dimes during Reggie's absence.

Agree with Sydney, perhaps .500 ball will be as good as it gets for the Pistons without Reggie.  The team could easily end up south of that mark by the time he returns.  The team is going to miss Reggie's ability to create offense for himself, not to mention he's one of only two real playmakers on the roster. 

No way will the Pistons be under .500 without Jackson.  This is a better team than last year, deeper and hungrier.  Schedule isn't too bad early on either.