Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Deleterious

Preseason 2016

Recommended Posts


SVG doesn't care if it's preseason. He's in mid-season form:

Stan Van Gundy

On tonight’s game:
“I was really, really disappointed in our defense, particularly by our first unit. I just didn’t think they put much into the game defensively. I was disappointed in our defense and our effort, and we turned the ball over a lot. So that’s a recipe for playing very bad basketball: when you don’t defend, you don’t play real hard and you turn the ball over.”

On his philosophy of limiting free throws and taking away three point shots:
“All they got was layups, free throws and threes. We didn’t make them take anything else. We were slow to the ball. We may have to address it lineup wise. I want to see more out of them, but if that first unit can’t improve defensively, then we’re going to have to get some other people in there and put some of them on the bench because we can’t defend like that and have a chance. Especially with Reggie (Jackson) out, we’re not going to be able to guard the way we guarded them tonight.”

On what he took from his point guards’ play tonight:
“Well, it wasn’t very good, but it was the first night out, so hopefully it will get better.”

On the frontcourt putting up big numbers offensively:
“Yeah, but then they have to do it at the other end, too. Offensively, I think Andre (Drummond), Tobias (Harris), Marcus (Morris), Jon (Leuer), Aron (Baynes), we have a really solid frontcourt of five guys to play the three, four and five spots from an offensive standpoint, but we need to find a way to guard.”

On Andre Drummond’s patience in the post:
“I thought his patience in the post was good, but he has to shoot better than 8-for-20. But he played with really good energy, obviously. Twenty-one rebounds, 11 of them offensive, I thought he played well. Now with him, he has to defend better. There were too many balls going at the rim, and he just doesn’t make plays on them.”

On whether Lorenzo Brown will play in the next game:
“Probably, yes.”

On what he expects from Stanley Johnson on the perimeter this season:
“I don’t know. He has not been playing very well right now. He just hasn’t, in camp or anything else, he has not been playing well. He is forcing too many plays. Even tonight, he was 2-for-7, but there were at least three bad shots in there. Maybe trying a little too hard, but his play has to improve.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

And that is why he has been fired from two jobs despite doing a pretty good job.

Because he was honest and wants better from his players?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Because he was honest and wants better from his players?

A lot of this game is managing egos.  Torching your players in the press every chance you get isn't doing a good job of that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, NYLion said:

Because he was honest and wants better from his players?

He's a manager.  Managers dont come out and slam their employees in front of everyone else.  Its management 101.

All the fans want to hear it, but svg isnt managing the fans, he's managing millionaires.

Like del said, thats why he keeps getting fired even though he is an excellent coach.  The players get sick of him ripping them all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm a fan of this decision.  It will require the longest recovery time but it seems to be best for his long term health.  You don't want to do something short now and maybe have it flair up again around the playoffs.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I'm a fan of this decision.  It will require the longest recovery time but it seems to be best for his long term health.  You don't want to do something short now and maybe have it flair up again around the playoffs.

 

Not that I disagree but didn't we know this already?

Sorry for getting back late on the SVG reply but got caught up with some stuff.   I'm ok with him lighting  the team after a performance like that.  SVG is a malcontent generally but he gives players praise when they deserve it. 

I do agree that he needs to dial it back from time to time but he's just that type of guy kind of like a Bill Parcells who says what's on his mind and he's not changing who he is for anybody.  If the players are too thin skinned to handle some harsh critcism like that ***** Dwight Howard then maybe we don't want them here anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Not that I disagree but didn't we know this already?

Sorry for getting back late on the SVG reply but got caught up with some stuff.   I'm ok with him lighting  the team after a performance like that.  SVG is a malcontent generally but he gives players praise when they deserve it. 

I do agree that he needs to dial it back from time to time but he's just that type of guy kind of like a Bill Parcells who says what's on his mind and he's not changing who he is for anybody.  If the players are too thin skinned to handle some harsh critcism like that ***** Dwight Howard then maybe we don't want them here anyway.

He decided which treatment to use on Friday and I posted that Sunday.  So yeah, it was a bit late.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They play the Spurs tonight.

I know they said they are streaming the game but I'm not sure how.  If it is the FSD app I'm screwed since I don't get those games with Xfinity.  Hopefully it will be on Pistons.com instead.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

He decided which treatment to use on Friday and I posted that Sunday.  So yeah, it was a bit late.

The timetable was 6-8 weeks from the beginning.  Him deciding to take this form of treatment didn't alter the timeline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, NYLion said:

The timetable was 6-8 weeks from the beginning.  Him deciding to take this form of treatment didn't alter the timeline.

I believe its only 6-8 weeks with PRP treatment

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

I believe its only 6-8 weeks with PRP treatment

I know.  I'm just saying that it was known from the beginning that he wasn't electing for surgery and would be out 6-8 weeks unless I misread the original tweet.  Now we know the treatment he's getting but the timeline hasn't changed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NYLion said:

I know.  I'm just saying that it was known from the beginning that he wasn't electing for surgery and would be out 6-8 weeks unless I misread the original tweet.  Now we know the treatment he's getting but the timeline hasn't changed.

Surgery wasn't on the table as far as I know.  

He opted for the treatment with the longest recovery. He could have gone with other treatments that would have had a shorter recovery time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Surgery wasn't on the table as far as I know.  

He opted for the treatment with the longest recovery. He could have gone with other treatments that would have had a shorter recovery time.

Ok.  I didn't know there were other treatment options that would lead to a shorter return.  In that case, he's doing the right thing by taking the treatment that will take care of this now instead of trying to come back earlier with a half measure treatment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,628
    • Total Posts
      2,908,929
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...