Motor City Sonics

Your 2016 Postseaon Predictions......

18 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I'm hoping Washington wins because of Max and my dislike for the other teams.

But ultimately As long as Cleveland doesn't win I'm cool.  I'd hate to see them and KC win back to back. We couldn't win 1 after years of kicking their *** yet they both get one after doing nothing for a decade. That would **** me off.

Ugh. This x1000. I don't even want to consider the possibility. I'm not really opposed to anyone else winning it among the teams who are left, so hopefully those good odds work in our favor.

It was sweet watching the Giants implode like that last night, and in their home ballpark no less. I will say, though, that David Ross has been on my sh!tlist since he tried to end Avila's career with that ridiculously dirty slide in the '13 ALCS. Total bush league stuff, and from a fellow catcher, no less. He can get bent.

On 10/4/2016 at 6:39 PM, Casimir said:

I'd throw Zobrist in there also as a reason that I would like to see the Cubs win.  I like the versatility he provides the club.  I loved it when the Tigers had that benefit with Tony Phillips.

They've got 3 or 4 guys like that.   Zobrist, Baez, Contreras and Bryant are all solid multi-position guys.    Baez did register enough games at any position to be considered the starter by Baseball Reference standards, but he played 142 games this year.   I love the way that roster is constructed.    So many moving pieces that fit together.    And the pitching of course.  

Plus - look how they hung in there for Game 3 and then won Game 4 coming from behind.  It sure seems like the "luck" thing is in their favor now.  

So if the Cubbies do win and the sabers go nuts over Theo and Maddon....temper yourselves folks...  crapshoot... :)

Just teasing.  

Heading to the bottom of the 9th in Washington and Clayton Kershaw is warming up.  Is he gonna come into close on 1 day rest?  4-3 Dodgers.

2.1 innings from Jansen, Kershaw for the last two outs and the save. 4:32 to play 9. 

Max didn't lose but couldn't hold the SO for the win....

What an amazing game. Lot of people on Twitter saying this is the beginning of the end of traditional bullpen roles, and I agree. Roberts showed them how to do it tonight. 

• Like 1

Just now, Yoda said:

What an amazing game. Lot of people on Twitter saying this is the beginning of the end of traditional bullpen roles, and I agree. Roberts showed them how to do it tonight. 

More managers will want to pitch Jansen and Kershaw, for sure.

But for sure, great move going to Jansen in the 7th, altho if CK wasn't inhuman that coulda really backfired in a famous way after the 2 walks in the 9th.

Two starts for Max and zero wins...great talent but are 150 to 200 million Starters losing their glimmer as bullpens dominate and starters do not this post season..so far anyway...

18 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

But for sure, great move going to Jansen in the 7th, altho if CK wasn't inhuman that coulda really backfired in a famous way after the 2 walks in the 9th.

Lets hope our boy Brad is watching both Roberts and Francona. And of course, even more so, let's hope Avila finds us someone who could become a Miller or Jansen.

21 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I imagine different pitchers keep somewhat different schedules, but I think most do throw on the 2nd or I think maybe more often on the 3rd day off, so throwing 2 outs on a mid schedule day shouldn't be the end of the world for him - though you know he had to be throwing with a lot more adrenaline that he would have been in a side session!

and of course lets not forget that we had a 3rd base coach with a horrible decision. The guys in the both even noted that if he would have come down the line (like Dave Clark does do BTW) he should have been able to see that Werth had no chance.

10 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Lets hope our boy Brad is watching both Roberts and Francona. And of course, even more so, let's hope Avila finds us someone who could become a Miller or Jansen.

It's all about the pitchers. 3X WS champ Bochy was creative but could hardly get an out from his pitchers in the 9th inning of game 4.

I also remember Mo going multiple innings setting up Wetteland for Torre and KRod going multiple innings setting up Percival for Scoisia. We're not inventing the wheel here, managers with dominant relievers tend to use them, especially in the playoffs. Except for Buck Schowalter, apparently.

But maybe Joe Jimenez can approach being that guy. The org doesn't seem too thrilled with his secondary pitches, so we'll see. And Rondon may have the stuff to approach it if he can command.

2 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

It's all about the pitchers. 3X WS champ Bochy was creative but could hardly get an out from his pitchers in the 9th inning of game 4.

I also remember Mo going multiple innings setting up Wetteland for Torre and KRod going multiple innings setting up Percival for Scoisia. We're not inventing the wheel here, managers with dominant relievers tend to use them, especially in the playoffs. Except for Buck Schowalter, apparently.

But maybe Joe Jimenez can approach being that guy. The org doesn't seem too thrilled with his secondary pitches, so we'll see. And Rondon may have the stuff to approach it if he can command.

the thing I don't get with Rondon is why his fastball is so erratic. One day he comes in throwing 98, the next 94. I can understand a starter ramping up and down over the course of a game, but it seems weird that a reliever wouldn't come into games with a consistent FB.

Before last night, Kershaw's last save was in the minors in 2006.  His catcher for that game was Kenley Jansen.  Crazy. 

I'm rooting for Cubs vs. Indians, so at least we can eliminate one of them as a topic of conversation for the rest of my life.

6 hours ago, Yoda said:

I don't know.  I think I'll believe in the evolution of the bullpen when I see it employed more often than we see.

I think a couple of items went into it last night that are a bit out of the norm:

• starter knocked out early
  • playoff elimination game, so all hands on deck
  • one of those hands was connected to one of the best left handed arms in baseball and he had offered up an inning if needed.

Now, that's not to say I disagree with what Roberts did and what Francona has been doing.  Oh, no, I am completely on board with why they did/do what they did/do.  That save that's dangling there in the 7th might be a lost opportunity that can't be recovered before the end of the game.

Maybe this has been brought up before, I don't know, but I heard it this morning and thought it an interesting point.  Should the save rule be rewritten to be an arbitrary statistic?  I think I'd be on board with that, but I can see different scenarios where it might be difficult to assign one save to a particular closer.

So, in my mind, why not take it even further?  Why not eliminate saves and blown saves and holds?  Heck, why not even eliminate wins and losses from pitchers' records?  Are those individual statistics as meaningful as WHIP or SO/BB or opponent OPS?  It ain't gonna happen.  The advances in metrics are fun and certainly beneficial in a lot of cases.  I can't see baseball actually getting away from W-L  But should it?

3 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Before last night, Kershaw's last save was in the minors in 2006.  His catcher for that game was Kenley Jansen.  Crazy. 

Love that.  Awesome stuff.

5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think @Yoda mentioned something along the lines of being disappointed in Ausmus because he hasn't been as outside of the box as we may have thought he would have been.  I agree with this sentiment, although in retrospect, why would we have thought that about him to begin with?  Simply because he wasn't gray haired and he has an education?

Regardless of that, it was frustrating to see that the 7th and 8th innings were rigid positions that weren't changed until it was well beyond the point of needing to find a replacement for Lowe.  And even then there was a certain script to follow with no ad libs.  Hopefully we see a lot bit less paint-by-numbers approach as well more stability from the pitchers themselves.  Rodriguez was fine, for the most part.  Someone mentioned cortisone shots (or some other kind of treatment) for WilsonJ towards the end of the season, so I can offer a pass for that.  WilsonA does good work.  Rondon and Ryan are intriguing candidates (in my opinion).

1 hour ago, djhutch said:

I'm rooting for Cubs vs. Indians, so at least we can eliminate one of them as a topic of conversation for the rest of my life.

That's why I am not rooting for them.  It's been 32 years for the Tigers.  As long as we have the O's, Indians, Cubs, Pirates... we're safe from our drought becoming a 'thing'.

Those teams can't win before the Tigers.  I ignore the expansion teams.

8 hours ago, socaltiger said:

Two starts for Max and zero wins...great talent but are 150 to 200 million Starters losing their glimmer as bullpens dominate and starters do not this post season..so far anyway...

I disagree.

18 minutes ago, Biff Mayhem said:

2X but I digress....

Nope... 3X.  2010, 2012, and 2014.