Sign in to follow this  
Biff Mayhem

Rod Allen 2017 Poll

Will Rod Allen be back for 2017?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Will Rod Allen be back as a color commentator for the Detroit Tigers in 2017

• No and I'm glad
    • No and I'm sad
    • Yes and I'm glad
    • Yes and I'm sad

that is a tough one. I think this year was supposed to be looking for his replacement but I don't think they found him. Morris is committed to the Twins and Minneapolis I would guess. Gibson is a better analyst but will his health allow him to do the job? Don't think Monroe is ready for for job. His skills have improved a lot but he had miles to go when he started. I'm going to guess they start next year like they finished this one - more round robins.

I'll take more Craig Monroe and dare I ask, bring in a member of our latin player contingent to explain those guy's thinking.  Craig can speak hispanic but I'd think someone like Magglio or Placido Polanco (if his enormous head fits in the booth) might be an interesting listen on a given random night.

Rod is by far the best out of Morris, CMO, and Gibson.  He's energetic, has a great voice for TV and he knows when to stop talking.

Gibson is just bad.  So dull and monotone, he just sucks the energy out of the telecast and puts me to sleep.   

The worst is when Gibson bombards CMO with 500 ?'s about things no one cares about.  Just terrible.

Three man crews are terrible.  Anything involving Gibson is terrible.  I wish they would just go back to only Rod and Mario. 

• Like 1

I've always had a love hate relationship with Rod, so I'm OK either way. I actually didn't mind Dan Petry when he would fill in.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, MDMAzing said:

Rod is by far the best out of Morris, CMO, and Gibson.  He's energetic, has a great voice for TV and he knows when to stop talking.

Seriously?

Give Kenny Rogers a shot. He was part of the "game within the game" and a master of his craft. I think he could bring some great perspective to the broadcast.

And he might even whack someone.  

For the record, I loved Kenny Rogers.

Gibson is great.  I am not sure how many games he can do in his condition, but adds a lot of insight.  

• Like 1

I'd take Rod in a heartbeat.  Gibby has insight, but puts people to sleep with his voice.  No chemistry with Mario either. 

17 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

Gibson is great.  I am not sure how many games he can do in his condition, but adds a lot of insight.  

I'll second this.

Would not be sad to see Rod, C-Mo and Jim Price find different gigs next year.  I'd rank the remaining as follows:

1) Dickerson

2) Gibby

3) Impemba

4) Morris

Sad about Lary Sorenson--he was very good before his legal problems.

2 hours ago, screwball said:

Give Kenny Rogers a shot. He was part of the "game within the game" and a master of his craft. I think he could bring some great perspective to the broadcast.

And he might even whack someone.  

For the record, I loved Kenny Rogers.

Interesting.  

2 hours ago, RJBBREZ said:

I'd take Rod in a heartbeat.  Gibby has insight, but puts people to sleep with his voice.  No chemistry with Mario either. 

Rod has no chemistry with Mario either.  They pretend to have chemistry, but it sounds forced to me.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Gibby is bizarro-Rod. 

Rod: Lot's of (annoying) personality, terrible analyst... if that's what you're into. 

Gibson: Little personality (less annoying) and often really good analysis. 

I guess it depends on your preference, but I'd much rather listen to Gibby. He puts in much more effort than Rod. Rod's contribution is a bunch of cheeky catch phrases. 

No option for "Don't know, don't really care".

I don't hate Rod as much as many here do, but I don't love him, either. I'm fine either way.

Morris is terrible. 

Gibson is better now than he was his first go-around, but that might be because Mario doesn't take any of his **** like Josh Lewin did.

10 hours ago, tiger337 said:

This is where I am with this poll, but the knucklehead that put the poll together didn't include this as an option.

5 hours ago, holygoat said:

Gibson is better now than he was his first go-around, but that might be because Mario doesn't take any of his **** like Josh Lewin did.

Yeah, I thought he has improved as well.  I don't know if it's the change in broadcast partner.  Or maybe perhaps being back on the field for a while and then being able to meld the perceptions of being a player and being a coach with his previous broadcasting experience has made him better at his craft.  Maybe it's a little of all of the above, I don't know.

I'll agree with those that say his voice isn't exactly what one might want for the broadcast, but if you get through the voice, there's more substance to what he is saying than any of the other analysts that the Tigers employ.

I thought having Gibby and Monroe together for some stretches made have added something, but I'm not sure that works as well as I thought it would.

I think any analyst over the course of the year will tend to get a little stale. I liked rotating different guys through the position, including Dickerson. It helped break things up a bit. So, I'm for keeping it the same next year or even adding another guy into the mix. Carlos Pena is an analyst on the MLB network he might be able to work a series or maybe they can fly in one of my personal favorites in Carlos Guillen to do a series.

I think Gibson improved because he managed and as part of that he was forced to:

a. learn a lot of details about all the players in the league, 

b. communicate those details to his players, and

c. just be more prepared in general.

His first go around he was winging it much more than he is now.

14 minutes ago, rhino said:

I think any analyst over the course of the year will tend to get a little stale. I liked rotating different guys through the position, including Dickerson. It helped break things up a bit. So, I'm for keeping it the same next year or even adding another guy into the mix. Carlos Pena is an analyst on the MLB network he might be able to work a series or maybe they can fly in one of my personal favorites in Carlos Guillen to do a series.

Now that Jared Weaver is hanging onto his career by his fingernails, I'd love Guillen to broadcast a game with Jared on the mound.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, rhino said:

maybe they can fly in one of my personal favorites in Carlos Guillen to do a series.

I literally laughed out loud at this!

I thought the TV broadcasts were always better when Dickerson was the announcer. Everybody else, even Rod Allen, seemed better.