Sydney_Fife

2016 Offseason

Just now, 1776 said:

Looks like Tigers are looking to move Kinsler to Dodgers for a package including Tray Thompson.

Wow. Intriguing depending on the rest. Thompson better not be the best player in the deal. Thompson and Calhoun, we can talk

Looks like Tigers are looking to move Kinsler to Dodgers for a package including Trayce Thompson.

Where on earth did this rumor come from?

9 minutes ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

One for lee:

Never heard of him before.  I can't find much about him on searches other than mentions of his work with the Yankees. Of course, these guys are required to be secretive, so we don't hear much about them unless they grew up on the internet.

12 hours ago, pyrotigers said:

All hyperbole aside, if the team is really forced to cut payroll rather than contend, it's madness to keep him. If the ownership has told management they have no choice but to significantly cut payroll, the Maybin trade is understandable, but in that case you should definitely not be paying an old reliever. Trade him for a middling prospect like Alcantara as well.

Clearly that's not what I want, but it's consistent at least. The team should either embrace a rebuild or go for contending. I want them to go for contending, but if ownership has really said they can't, they should go all in. Playing in the middle is just going to lead to a crappy team next year and less to show for it. Maybe Jason Beck doesn't know what he's talking about, but he seems to generally be a mouthpiece for the team.

If you listened to Avila, he was clear that we were not rebuilding, and at least in his mind we can go through this process of rationalizing the team's payroll without tearing down.  And I don't disagree with him. Depending upon how severe he's planning to cut this season, versus next season, it is very possible that we could still compete in 2017 (especially with two wild card spots which only require 87-88 wins).  It's possible we are a better team next season, just based upon full seasons by Norris and Boyd, and a healthy campaign from Zimmermann. 

As far as trading K-Rod, it's also possible that we may still trade him this winter and didn't have an immediate deal lined up because of the deep pool of FA relievers this winter.  Or it's also possible that the trade return could be better in July. But if we keep him, that's not a big deal either.  He's not likely to return much anyways.

47 minutes ago, Nastradamus said:

If Pelfrey,Farmer and Jaye are our backup SP options, it could be worse. I think Pelfrey is a pretty functional 6th starter though and I don't expect much from 7th and 8th types. We don't have a top prospect type, so it is what it is. 

You can add Alexander to that list.  If he shows he is ready in 2017, the Tigers won't hold him back if they have a need at the MLB level. 

52 minutes ago, 1776 said:

Looks like Tigers are looking to move Kinsler to Dodgers for a package including Trayce Thompson.

No thanks.  Thompson has no real value. He is what you'd expect from a 4th OF.  He's a low average, high strikeout guy who has no real track record of performance above A+. He had the best 40 game stint of his career at the mlb level in 2015, and suddenly people think he's something.  He's not. 

I don't know much about his defense, but he doesn't rate that well defensively,per fangraphs either. 

34 minutes ago, ballmich said:

You can add Alexander to that list.  If he shows he is ready in 2017, the Tigers won't hold him back if they have a need at the MLB level. 

Makes sense. 

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

Never heard of him before.  I can't find much about him on searches other than mentions of his work with the Yankees. Of course, these guys are required to be secretive, so we don't hear much about them unless they grew up on the internet.

I found a picture of him if it helps....

George_Costanza.jpg

Kris Bryant is now my favorite non-Tiger thanks to that ****-eating grin while fielding the final out. Just saw that slo-mo replay.

Chicago should send Houston some pizzas for not taking him #1.

Excellent write-up from MLBTR that pretty much sums up everything we know and everything we can reasonably infer:

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/11/offseason-outlook-detroit-tigers-7.html#comments

My only nit is I think Kinsler's market would be more than Mets, Dodgers, Angels. The Giants and Cardinals should be interested, and I'd think the Yankees as well, depending on how they view their 2017 chances.

2 hours ago, 1776 said:

Source?  Not seeing anything 

Cleveland has picked up the options on Francona in 2019 & 2020.  I mean, OK, I guess.  Might want to hold off and see if he is really legit or if this season was a flash in the pan.

47 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

Source?  Not seeing anything 

Yah, a site called it a rumor because another site wrote it up as a trade idea

1 hour ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

I also wonder how it'd look if AA trades JD and another contract and then spends $3M on Alex Avila. Would the PR be a factor against Alex?

I like Alex a lot, but realistically if you're selling it would be stupid to sign a veteran backup catcher for anything more than the MLB minimum

6 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

I like Alex a lot, but realistically if you're selling it would be stupid to sign a veteran backup catcher for anything more than the MLB minimum

It's something you would have to look at after all your dealing is done. If they're able to dump enough contracts to get a good bit below the luxury tax, you could re-invest a little in platoons.

It's something you would have to look at after all your dealing is done. If they're able to dump enough contracts to get a good bit below the luxury tax, you could re-invest a little in platoons.

Yeah, backup catcher should be the least of their concerns right now. Just plan on Hicks being the guy and if there turns out to be a league minimum guy out there in January then pull the trigger then.

Just gotta hope McCann can be decent enough and stay healthy.