Sydney_Fife

2016 Offseason

5 hours ago, Casimir said:

The World Series ended 7 hours ago.  Why hasn't Avila done anything yet?

Rajai looked very good last night. Cleveland could have used a better closer in the 10th. Do you think we could trade KRod for Rajai?

Get it done, AA.

(amidoingitrite?)

In actual news, the Phillies paid $10M to finally be done with Ryan Howard's contract (declined option).

Gio Gonzalez and Jamie Garcia had their options picked up. Each option was $12M.

23 hours ago, Yoda said:

Dean Green is now going to play in Tokyo. Good for him as he had nowhere to go here. 

Dean Green now knows Al Avila is serious about making changes.  I hope the Tokyo Swallows paid $30 million for Green too.....

First, the Dean Green dream died.  And now the Aoki dream is dead.  It's been a tough 24 hours. 

No word on who is coming back.  Holding out for Trout.

Twitterverse is calling it a sign and trade.  That's a thing in baseball?

Just now, Tenacious D said:

No word on who is coming back.  Holding out for Trout.

Twitterverse is calling it a sign and trade.  That's a thing in baseball?

RHP Victor Alcantara. 4.60 ERA in the minors in his career. 23 years old.

He's horrible.  Only way to rationalize this was there was no market for Maybin, and we took anything in return to avoid spending the $1MM buyout.  Nothing else makes sense.

I was hoping to get a guy like Krol back, or the potential to be Krol.  So there must not have been much interest for Maybin at $9 million, even coming off the great season.  We only paid $5.5 million... and gave up Speier and Krol.  That $3.5 million is the difference maker, I presume. 

Chris Ilitch's first salary dump....and they picked up k-rod's option because the buyout is $2 million.

• Like 1

Alcantara seems like he could be destined for the bullpen, as a possible late innings power reliever.  I guess he was in the Futures game too.  This is from Scout in 2015 (more at the link):

Alcantara comes with easily the best fastball in the Angels farm system currently. It truly dances around in it's path to the catcher's mit, and is something not many can catch up to. Alcantara throws his four-seam fastball, with some two-seam movement, primarily in the 94-96 MPH range, but has jumped into the 97-98 range at rare times. He actually touched 100 a few times this past year and once was recorded at 101 MPH. That not only turns our heads, but makes us feel that Alcantara could be in the high 90's and triple digits with a full-time bullpen role and a little more physical development.

http://www.scout.com/mlb/angels/story/1510516-prospect-countdown-12-victor-alcantara

IN previous years, a speedy CF, coming off a .314 BA and .380 OBP would command more.  Makes you wonder if most teams think last year was not sustainable, or teams are going to be more financially prudent this offseason.

Clearly we all know the Angels system is bone thin with little talent, but Alcantara was in the futures game in 2014.  That doesn't mean much, but the guy does have a big arm supposedly, that if things go right could be a MLB contributor.  

http://m.angels.mlb.com/news/article/84602918/angels-prospects-make-debut-in-all-star-futures-game/

I don't think maybin at 9 million for one year is a great value (it does have a bit of value though), so you aren't going to get much. But if you get a guy back with actual potential to contribute in the majors that's a plus.

Alcantara's numbers have not been good, but he was ranked as the number 4 player in the thin Angels system at the beginning of the season by Baseball America.  He has been used as a starter so far.  Perhaps, he will be more useful as a reliever.  

Cool we got a steaming pile of garbage for a decent player. Good start. Maybe we can trade Kinsler to get Avisail Garcia back next

Just now, pyrotigers said:

Cool we got a steaming pile of garbage for a decent player. Good start. Maybe we can trade Kinsler to get Avisail Garcia back next

Would you rather have paid Maybin $1 million to go away?

3 minutes ago, ballmich said:

Would you rather have paid Maybin $1 million to go away?

I would rather have kept him instead of starting Jacoby Jones or Anthony Gose or a literal inanimate trash can in CF

Fortunately according to Beck we're keeping K-Rod and not trading him though. Because once you've given your CF away you should definitely pay $6 million to an old closer instead of trading him too. Sensibility here. We want to hit that sweet 70-80 win spot. Keep some fans coming to the stadium but don't contend.

• Like 1

I think we can safely assume the Tigers took the best trade on the table for Maybin.  I don't think anyone is going to argue that the return was good.  But I don't see a point of complaining about it because it seems like the better option than paying the buyout and getting no players in return.  The Tigers didn't have much leverage in this situation and short of a bidding war by other teams, I don't think we were going to get a whole lot in return.  

1 minute ago, pyrotigers said:

I would rather have kept him instead of starting Jacoby Jones or Anthony Gose or a literal inanimate trash can in CF

Were you offering to pay his salary?  Clearly you are dismissing that the message from the team that they have been outspending their means and there was going to be a process of getting the financial house in order.  Pretty much everyone has known since Avila came out with that news, that Maybin would not be back. 

What was the anticipated return for Maybin?  He's brittle, and aside from 2016, not offensively gifted, and comes with a $9M price tag. 

6 hours ago, Who is the Drizzle? said:

Rajai looked very good last night. Cleveland could have used a better closer in the 10th. Do you think we could trade KRod for Rajai?

Get it done, AA.

(amidoingitrite?)

Well, there's now a hole in CF and Rodriguez is officially under contract for next season. 

4 minutes ago, pyrotigers said:

Fortunately according to Beck we're keeping K-Rod and not trading him though. Because once you've given your CF away you should definitely pay $6 million to an old closer instead of trading him too. Sensibility here. We want to hit that sweet 70-80 win spot. Keep some fans coming to the stadium but don't contend.

Who says they're not going to trade Rodriguez? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I don't think maybin at 9 million for one year is a great value (it does have a bit of value though), so you aren't going to get much. 

While I was hoping for more, I agree that I don't think Maybin at $9 million is a great value.  But it's a reasonable price for a team that needed help, like the Angels. 

Besides, a Jones/Gose (or a player like Gose) platoon might not be that bad at all.  If you project Maybin as a 1-1.5 WAR guy in 2017, it's possible that they could equal that for $8 million less in payroll.