Sydney_Fife

2016 Offseason

If he goes to Toledo, still bullpen IMO. I guess you never know, but I think that's where they see his future. 

I like Greene better in relief, his stuff plays up in shorter spurts.  He was thrown to the wolves this past year, and had a good couple of months, but struggled later.  I think he'll be fine in the bullpen, but he needs to throw strikes, and not worry about giving up contact.  It seems like he's afraid to let anybody hit the ball.

Yeah, I had high hopes for Greene as a starter, but it does seem that he is best suited to the very-poor-man's right-handed version of Andrew Miller (an absurd comparison, sorry for making it)...meaning, a guy who could pitch 2+ innings in the 5th-8th as needed, or come in and get a couple key outs sometime. His stuff is nasty enough that it could play very well in that type of role, but he just needs to prevent runs much better than he has to date.

+1 Casimir, I agree, work Greene as a starter in spring training.

I think the way you make the Tigers more comfortable in trying to trade Sanchez AND Pelfrey is to see that the Tigers have more secure starting depth in the 6th starter roll.  If Greene cannot hack it in ST as a starter- fine back to the pen with him and then the Tigers will likely rely on one of Sanchez or Pelfrey for the 6th starter roll if disaster happens in 2017.  Shane Greene isn't making anything close to big money right now and he certainly could help the Tigers if don't have to cover the 6th starter slot by spending a lot of Greene in 2017 or 2018 (sorry, I couldn't resist...).

6 hours ago, STLTiger69 said:

+1 Casimir, I agree, work Greene as a starter in spring training.

I think the way you make the Tigers more comfortable in trying to trade Sanchez AND Pelfrey is to see that the Tigers have more secure starting depth in the 6th starter roll.  If Greene cannot hack it in ST as a starter- fine back to the pen with him and then the Tigers will likely rely on one of Sanchez or Pelfrey for the 6th starter roll if disaster happens in 2017.  Shane Greene isn't making anything close to big money right now and he certainly could help the Tigers if don't have to cover the 6th starter slot by spending a lot of Greene in 2017 or 2018 (sorry, I couldn't resist...).

The problem with this is that, if there is a mid season need for a rotation piece for multiple starts, will Sanchez/Pelfrey (if either is still around) be able to transition from the bullpen to the rotation?  Will that stamina be there to go from 1 or 2 IPs to 5 or 6 IPs?  It seems like a tall task to ask.  And this doesn't even consider whether or not they can be effective in that starting role.

This is not to say that I think Greene is the best 6th SP option.  He does, however, have an option left where he can be stashed in Toledo to work out of the rotation, work on his stuff and keep a starting pitcher pace going.

They may just have to ride with the 5 SPs at hand, hope for fantastic health and no serious set backs in performance from where they were this season, and just pray they don't need 6th/7th SPs for more than an occasional limited starts, say a doubleheader game that is due to a rain out.  Doesn't seem like a very practical plan. 

I thought Farmer's options had been exhausted? 

I guess when I am looking at 6th & 7ths, I am looking for guys that can keep up with a rotation role in Toledo rather than pulling a guy from the bullpen or long relief and then trying to stretch him out on the fly.  It wouldn't be impossible to keep a 6th in the bullpen, but I would think having options in Toledo would be better.  I guess it all depends upon how often that next guy is needed once he is needed and what the rest of the pitching staff is comprised of when that next guy gets those starts.

I thought Farmer's options had been exhausted? 

I guess when I am looking at 6th & 7ths, I am looking for guys that can keep up with a rotation role in Toledo rather than pulling a guy from the bullpen or long relief and then trying to stretch him out on the fly.  It wouldn't be impossible to keep a 6th in the bullpen, but I would think having options in Toledo would be better.  I guess it all depends upon how often that next guy is needed once he is needed and what the rest of the pitching staff is comprised of when that next guy gets those starts.

I think Farmer has only used two options (2015 and 2016).

Predictions for the offseason:

1,  Tigers decline options on both Maybin and KRod.

2.  New CBA will include international draft in July, with teams slotted just as they are for the June draft.  Teams will not be able to offer QO's to the same player two years in a row.  Any player that declines a QO and is not signed by the beginning of spring training will have no restrictions on where they sign.

3.  Tigers trade J.D. Martinez to the Astros for Kyle Tucker and David Paulino.

4.  Tigers trade Ian Kinsler to the Dodgers for Willy Calhoun, Walker Buehler, and Austin Barnes.

5,  I can see the Tigers discussing a huge deal with Boston and/or New York Yanks, but not making a deal.  Verlander is 50/50 to be traded this winter.

3 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

Predictions for the offseason:

1,  Tigers decline options on both Maybin and KRod.

2.  New CBA will include international draft in July, with teams slotted just as they are for the June draft.  Teams will not be able to offer QO's to the same player two years in a row.  Any player that declines a QO and is not signed by the beginning of spring training will have no restrictions on where they sign.

4.  Tigers trade Ian Kinsler to the Dodgers for Willy Calhoun, Walker Buehler, and Austin Barnes.

5,  I can see the Tigers discussing a huge deal with Boston and/or New York Yanks, but not making a deal.  Verlander is 50/50 to be traded this winter.

I'd take this if we took out #1. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

I think Farmer has only used two options (2015 and 2016).

He pitched a game for the Tigers in August 2014, too, so I guess that's three used.  Doesn't that leave one?  Or is it three max?

Also, I know that Buehler had TJ last August, but the Vandy connection is pretty strong, and I can see him coming back in late 17.

Just now, cruzer1 said:

Also, I know that Buehler had TJ last August, but the Vandy connection is pretty strong, and I can see him coming back in late 17.

I'm ok taking a chance on TJ guys 

He pitched a game for the Tigers in August 2014, too, so I guess that's three used.  Doesn't that leave one?  Or is it three max?

I don't think he spent enough days in the minors in 2014 after they first called him up. He would have had to spend 20 days in the minors. He pitched in August 13, so he would have been in the minors for 18 days in August. He was called up on 9-2. He also pitched in the majors on 8-26. So I think he had something like 17-19 games in the minors that year.

Players his age get three options.

6 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Buck Farmer is a perfect name for a team's 6th starter / swingman / mop-up guy.

Also for the team's token lush and womanizer. 

3 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

You think we are trading to get Paulino back from the Astros?

2 minutes ago, ballmich said:

Yeah, that's a Dombrowski move. 

3 minutes ago, ballmich said:

This also has me wondering how many other organizations commonly re-acquire past players? The Tigers have done a lot of it in the last 20 years. I would imagine most other org's do as well. Familiarity, I guess. 

26 minutes ago, Yoda said:

This also has me wondering how many other organizations commonly re-acquire past players? The Tigers have done a lot of it in the last 20 years. I would imagine most other org's do as well. Familiarity, I guess. 

He would give the Tigers some much needed starting depth.  I would start him in Toledo, but he could pitch in the big leagues soon.  He's the type of strike thrower with stuff the Tigers could use.  A big negative for him is he has been suspended by the Astros for a month for violating a team rule.  I wouldn't want too many rats in the clubhouse.  He also threw about 97 innings, so his innings will have to be monitored.  Obviously, he's also post TJ.

Since we're playing fantasy baseball trades, here is another.  We match up well with Seattle--they need upgrades at CF and SS.  Maybin and Iglesias for Nate Karns, Aoki and another minor leaguer.