Sydney_Fife

2016 Offseason

So what are some roster predictions?

5th starter will be Sanchez. Pelfrey will be the long man. They'll use Boyd's option and have him in Toledo. 

Bench will be Avila, Romine, Machado, and Mahtook. Collins in CF. 

That means Moya will have to go thru waivers. But a no-defense, high strikeout, low walk guy doesn't have too much value. Highly doubt he could hit MLB left handed pitching either. 

Bullpen will be interesting. They have K Rod, Rondon, Wilson, Wilson, and Pelfrey as locks. They'll need another lefty and I think Hardy has developed into a decent option. That leaves on spot. They owe Lowe a nice chunk of change, so I'd keep him and use Greene's option and have him in Toledo.

19 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

So what are some roster predictions?

5th starter will be Sanchez. Pelfrey will be the long man. They'll use Boyd's option and have him in Toledo. 

Bench will be Avila, Romine, Machado, and Mahtook. Collins in CF. 

That means Moya will have to go thru waivers. But a no-defense, high strikeout, low walk guy doesn't have too much value. Highly doubt he could hit MLB left handed pitching either. 

Bullpen will be interesting. They have K Rod, Rondon, Wilson, Wilson, and Pelfrey as locks. They'll need another lefty and I think Hardy has developed into a decent option. That leaves on spot. They owe Lowe a nice chunk of change, so I'd keep him and use Greene's option and have him in Toledo.

I really want to pick Mahtook over Jones but so far JaCoby is winning the battle of small sample size 4 of 9 to 0 of 8.  So twist my arm I'll pick Jones just based on his general late upswing at Toledo and AFL. In any case I'm taking one of these guys (they seem pretty much interchangeable) plus Collins, Romine and Machdo, the two catchers and the other 7 regulars make my 13.  Moya - sorry, good luck with your new team. 

Starting Staff: JV, Zimm, Fulmer, Norris, Boyd. They could hide Boyd but I think he is and will be so far ahead of Sanchez/Pelfrey performance wise you just can't do it.

Relief Staff: just still too soon. Surprisingly, Lowe has looked good. If he keeps that up there is one wildcard.

I will say I'll take the opposite action on Pelfrey and Sanchez. I'll predict Pelfrey is DFA - he'll clear waivers and then have to decide to go to the minors or hang it up. Sanchez is either relief or moved/released - the former if he can show any glimmer of hope, which he didn't on his 1st trip out, but I won't hazard a guess on a pitcher on one outing. 

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

I really want to pick Mahtook over Jones but so far JaCoby is winning the battle of small sample size 4 of 9 to 0 of 8.  So twist my arm I'll pick Jones just based on his general late upswing at Toledo and AFL. In any case I'm taking one of these guys (they seem pretty much interchangeable) plus Collins, Romine and Machdo, the two catchers and the other 7 regulars make my 13.  Moya - sorry, good luck with your new team. 

Starting Staff: JV, Zimm, Fulmer, Norris, Boyd. They could hide Boyd but I think he is and will be so far ahead of Sanchez/Pelfrey performance wise you just can't do it.

Relief Staff: just still too soon. Surprisingly, Lowe has looked good. If he keeps that up there is one wildcard.

I will say I'll take the opposite action on Pelfrey and Sanchez. I'll predict Pelfrey is DFA - he'll clear waivers and then have to decide to go to the minors or hang it up. Sanchez is either relief or moved/released - the former if he can show any glimmer of hope, which he didn't on his 1st trip out, but I won't hazard a guess on a pitcher on one outing. 

Teams always need pitching depth. I doubt they'll DFA Pelfrey when they could trade him and perhaps get some salary relief of a million or 2. 

Moya is a dime in a dozen. At least Collins can actually play the outfield. Moya's defense was an embarrassment. 

I like Jones, but I think they'll want him getting regular AB's in Toledo. Same thing with Jimenez. They need to develop those guys for September if they're out of it... but ultimately 2018. 

Infante is an interesting case. I hope he goes to Toledo and plays second. See how he does with regular AB's. He could be solid depth for us. I think Iglesias is traded between now and 2018, so Machado is the future shortstop. Have to keep him because he's out of options. 

1 minute ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Teams always need pitching depth. I doubt they'll DFA Pelfrey when they could trade him and perhaps get some salary relief of a million or 2. 

IDK SF, I hope you are right, but I have a feeling trading Pelfrey is gonna be a bridge too far, even if Avila has read 'The Art of the Deal'.......xD

Just now, Gehringer_2 said:

IDK SF, I hope you are right, but I have a feeling trading Pelfrey is gonna be a bridge too far, even if Avila has read 'The Art of the Deal'.......xD

That was one terrible signing. Could've lived with it for one year, but 2? 

11 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

got our first game tickets for this season today.

I don't think I went to a game last season.  First in quite a long while.  It just seems like something was always popping up.

Should we have interest in Lawrie now that he has been released by the White Sox? He would have to be a backup IF, but maybe that would keep him healthier.

5 hours ago, Casimir said:

I don't think I went to a game last season.  First in quite a long while.  It just seems like something was always popping up.

Was that something Ian Kinsler?

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

Should we have interest in Lawrie now that he has been released by the White Sox? He would have to be a backup IF, but maybe that would keep him healthier.

It doesn't seem like there would be room for him if they keep Machado.  I would think Lawrie would get a major league bench offer at worst, but maybe he doesn't get that offer and is forced into a minor league deal?

11 minutes ago, Casimir said:

It doesn't seem like there would be room for him if they keep Machado.  I would think Lawrie would get a major league bench offer at worst, but maybe he doesn't get that offer and is forced into a minor league deal?

I assume if signed he would bump Machado or Romine, though Romine seems to have that Don Kelly quality managers love. Lawrie is only 26, so he's quite a bit younger (and better) than Romine, without the OF capability.

5 minutes ago, Tigertown Rats said:

I assume if signed he would bump Machado or Romine, though Romine seems to have that Don Kelly quality managers love. Lawrie is only 26, so he's quite a bit younger (and better) than Romine, without the OF capability.

Its kind of surprising to see him released.  He's only a $3.5M salary to Chicago.  He's only 27 years old.  He's not come close to his rookie season, but he's only been slightly below average at the plate.  His OBP and BB/SO is a bit out of whack, but he has some pop.  He hasn't played SS, so I'm not sure bumping Machado is an option, but maybe it is with Romine still on board.

Did Chicago shop him around and found no suitors?  Is he injured and Chicago forgot about the DL?  Did he have his kids in the clubhouse all of the time?

Lawrie is a guy that needs steroids. You can tell that he's not afraid of needles just by looking at him.