Sydney_Fife

2016 Offseason

I don't think fans, whatever level of interest they are, would change their opinion of the game significantly if there were fewer of the three true outcomes and more balls in play. 

I think fans like their team to score runs and for their opponent to not score runs. Strikeouts and walks and home runs have a big effect on that. I don't think people care too much if the outs or baserunners are generated by balls in play. 

And dingers are amazing or horrible, depending on which team hits them. They generate an emotional reaction greater than any other event in the game. 

Side note:

I have just decided that I like brad ausmus and I really want to see this team succeed and for ausmus to become a hall of fame manager. 

This is giving me conflicting feelings because I think he sucks. But then again he isn't the reason the team has struggled over the last few years. 

So ideally they make the playoffs this year and the rotation establishes itself and some other guys make a leap and the new owner invests in the team and ausmus is here for another 20 years and we win 4 or 5 championships along the way. 

Thanks. 

Also, is spring training still the offseason? I contend that it is, but I'm willing to listen to counter arguments. 

27 minutes ago, Yoda said:

For enthusiasts, I might agree. But I have a hard time believing the average fan would find another dead ball era to be all that exciting. Nor would MLB find it very marketable. 

I don't think anyone is advocating a dead ball era

5 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Also, is spring training still the offseason? I contend that it is, but I'm willing to listen to counter arguments. 

Offseason, says this observer.

10 minutes ago, Shelton said:

Pre-season?

32 minutes ago, Yoda said:

For enthusiasts, I might agree. But I have a hard time believing the average fan would find another dead ball era to be all that exciting. Nor would MLB find it very marketable. 

They want home runs, but I don't think they want all the strikeouts and walks.  I think strikeouts and walks are pretty boring events for fans at the game.

11 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I don't think anyone is advocating a dead ball era

I want a live ball era with fewer home runs and strikeouts than we had last year.  I think they are going to try to do something about the strikeouts.  

Casual fan offering an anecdote here - I think strikeouts are incredibly entertaining. Doug Fister's 9 strikeouts in a row was one of the coolest things I've seen happen in baseball. Granted, that's a rarity that was allowed to build, but having a pitcher come in and strike out the side in order is amazing if he's your guy. I'm willing to live with the fact that it happens against my team as well.

Great defensive plays in the field are cool too, and obviously homeruns are fun. Really the only thing I find boring are routine plays on balls put in play. I guess any reasonable mix of all of those is fine by me - I don't particularly see the need to adjust the proportion of what's currently happening during a game.

Just one person's opinion.

Also, spring training practice is still the offseason, spring training games are the preseason.

• Like 1

Yeah, I love them when my team is pitching. I'd much rather watch a strikeout than a fly ball or ground-out, in most cases. This is not the case when my team is batting. 

I wouldn't want k's to continue to increase, but I don't think it really needs fixed right now. I don't particularly mind either way, though. 

1 hour ago, Yoda said:

another dead ball era is not the objective, only enough balance to reduce the number of HR threats up and down a line-up.

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Players running the bases is more exciting than jogging.

As long as they aren't lollygagging. 

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

I think it's off-season until the spring training games start.  

I don't know know.  I think spring training has begun once pitchers and catchers report to camp.

The four seasons of baseball:

• spring training
  • regular season
  • postseason
  • offseason

I loved seeing those standings and probable pitchers a couple of pages back.  Those were the days when the standings and the league leaders were in a font that was large enough that you could actually read them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

I loved seeing those standings and probable pitchers a couple of pages back.  Those were the days when the standings and the league leaders were in a font that was large enough that you could actually read them.

And they listed AL games on one side and NL games on the other, didn't mingle them like I see in some places now.

And of the 12 starting pitchers, I think I remember the first names of 11 of them (except Bahnsen) and can picture in my mind 8 or 9 of them. I wouldn't do as well with today's probables.

There's nothing wrong with the game, there's a good mix of offense and defense, a fair struggle between pitcher and batter. It's the pitching changes and the time between pitches that drives me nuts. I don't want an ump out there with a stop watch, but I wish it somehow became the norm that hitters wouldn't step out and pitchers would just fling it within 10 seconds of getting it back from the pitcher. Give the ump some discretion to alert all to a delay of game warning  with a hand signal, 2 or more such notices in one at-bat or one-inning would result in a called ball or strike. A set time timit that triggers such a warning? No. But you'll know it when you see it, you can tell when the stall is on. No more dilly-dallying! That's even worse than lolly-gagging.

7 hours ago, Casimir said:

I don't know know.  I think spring training has begun once pitchers and catchers report to camp.

• spring training
  • regular season
  • postseason
  • offseason

This. It's Sprint Training, not Spring Exhibition Games. 

12 hours ago, Shelton said:

Side note:

I have just decided that I like brad ausmus and I really want to see this team succeed and for ausmus to become a hall of fame manager. 

This is giving me conflicting feelings because I think he sucks. But then again he isn't the reason the team has struggled over the last few years. 

So ideally they make the playoffs this year and the rotation establishes itself and some other guys make a leap and the new owner invests in the team and ausmus is here for another 20 years and we win 4 or 5 championships along the way. 

Thanks. 

I still need you to find your avatar between now and opening day.

4 hours ago, Yoda said:

This. It's Sprint Training, not Spring Exhibition Games. 

I hope MartinezV is exempt from the sprint training.

14 hours ago, Shelton said:

Side note:

Thanks. 

That's all well and good but I'd prefer Ausmus is fired and the new owner replaces him with a mighty computer, the computer makes all the perfect decisions while its bench coach, MLB legend Barry Bonds, keeps the players motivated. The computer also has press conferences where it answers with 1010110011 I NEVER PLAYED THE GAME BUT ALSO I AM NOT A BLUSTERING IDIOT HA HA HA 1010001001 THE UNWRITTEN RULES SAY YOU SUCK 01010

13 hours ago, Casimir said:

• spring training
  • regular season
  • postseason
  • offseason

This is correct.  I was over thinking it.  

16 hours ago, DubTownTigersFan said:

Casual fan offering an anecdote here - I think strikeouts are incredibly entertaining. Doug Fister's 9 strikeouts in a row was one of the coolest things I've seen happen in baseball. Granted, that's a rarity that was allowed to build, but having a pitcher come in and strike out the side in order is amazing if he's your guy. I'm willing to live with the fact that it happens against my team as well.

Great defensive plays in the field are cool too, and obviously homeruns are fun. Really the only thing I find boring are routine plays on balls put in play. I guess any reasonable mix of all of those is fine by me - I don't particularly see the need to adjust the proportion of what's currently happening during a game.

Just one person's opinion.

Also, spring training practice is still the offseason, spring training games are the preseason.

I think this is mostly only situationally true. Getting out of a jam or striking out the side like you say. 

I like to see a great pitcher have a big strikeout game because he is carving up the opposition.  I don't think it is particularly entertaining when a mediocre pitcher is striking batters out because hitters are not being smart.  

• Like 2

I find pitching duels more intriguing than back and forth offense.  But that's just me.

screen-shot-2017-02-16-at-9-42-38-am

Wango tango foxtrot?

Oh, wait, there's a story:

The Detroit Tigers: Get Ready for the Trash Fire!

By Craig CalcaterraFeb 16, 2017, 12:52 PM EST

This has absolutely nothing to do with the Tigers’ competitive prospects for 2017. I think they’ll be OK, actually. At least a wild card contender and, if things break right as far as health and all of that, they could easily challenge the Indians for the division. Baseball is hard to predict sometimes and, even if they missed the playoffs in 2016, you never want to bet too much against a team with one of the best hitters in history on the roster.

No, I’m just referring to the aesthetic of their player photos this year. Or video. It’s hard to tell what this little studio is being set up for. Could be for the player intros on the big screen at the ballpark or a media guide. Whatever the case, they seem to be sending a message.

Let’s see . . . industrial hellscape . . . a big box that could easily be a dumpster . . . a tire . . . a fire. I don’t know what the director is going for here, but it all evokes something less than calm competence or a situation that is under control. One might even say that  This is Fine .

As far as accuracy goes it certainly evokes the Tigers bullpen in recent years, but again, that may not be something the organization wants to communicate.

Anyway, good luck fighting the C.H.U.D.s or surviving the industrial dystopia or whatever is going on here, Tigers.

I was afraid it was a visual cue of the future of the 2017 center field production that we were likely to see.