Sydney_Fife

2016 Offseason

7 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I had a dream last night that the Tigers traded Iglesias for garbage.    

Garbage like lousy players, or like actual garbage?

13 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yes you are right about Jones, I was just grouping him with Machado as the two I thought would get the start in Det and forgot I'd called the list 'out of option' guys. Read about and then forgot about the Green signing also - getting senile. Collins I don't have any idea - I think he would be a prime candidate as a throw in if a trade gets made - but that is probably equally true of Moya. I suppose if no-one is signed, Collins most likely ends up the 4/5 outfielder as he is the most flexible -- if he beats out Gose. In fact if they don't move JD it could like as not end up as Jones and Romine in center, Collins the 4/5 and Moya and Gose both out in the cold. Well that is what I might do, I still doubt Ausmus is going commit to much OF time for Romine even if I think he should.

assuming everyone is still on the team at the end of spring training, I think machado and romine and moya are locks, and it comes down to Collins and Gose and Jacoby battling for the "starting" CF spot. 

I only see Collins as having value at this point as a guy that can fake it in CF if we have no other non-romine options that look good enough. As a fourth outfielder that will hardly be needed in the corners, I see no sense in keeping him over a guy like moya that at least still has some potential buried in there to be a thing. 

If forced to guess how things go, I think Collins wins the job, Gose is sent packing, and Jacoby goes to Toledo, and the Collins to Jacoby transition date is fluid and based on how they each look at their respective level. 

12 minutes ago, Shelton said:

assuming everyone is still on the team at the end of spring training, I think machado and romine and moya are locks, and it comes down to Collins and Gose and Jacoby battling for the "starting" CF spot. 

I only see Collins as having value at this point as a guy that can fake it in CF if we have no other non-romine options that look good enough. As a fourth outfielder that will hardly be needed in the corners, I see no sense in keeping him over a guy like moya that at least still has some potential buried in there to be a thing. 

If forced to guess how things go, I think Collins wins the job, Gose is sent packing, and Jacoby goes to Toledo, and the Collins to Jacoby transition date is fluid and based on how they each look at their respective level. 

I'm trying to be more optimistic about Jones. :classic:

Moya vs Collins will be the most interesting call I think. To me Collins grades out as your run of the mill AAAA or replacement level player. You can plug him and he won't be a black hole but he's not going to win any games for you either - you know what you have there. I suppose that may make him more expendable as you can pick up guys like that on the waiver wire all season long. Moya remains more unpredictable. Early last season in Toledo he looked like he was working on cutting down his Ks but his power seemed to disappear. Then it looked like he was back to his old approach and he finished with a semi-reasonable 25% K rate and 20 HR. (+ 5 in Det for a total 25, which is nice for sure). Unfortunately, while the power was there, nothing else seemed to translate when he was called up as he K'd 38 times in 100 AB. If he were a plus fielder maybe you could stick a guy who gives you 20HR and 200K in the 7 spot, but I'm just not optimistic about him. He's basically a one tool guy in a league and team looking for multi-dimensional players.

53 minutes ago, ballmich said:

I think it depends on how aggressive the Tigers want to promote guys.  Historically they have been fairly aggressive, but I haven't seen enough under Avila to know if that is continuing yet.  A number of those MiLB signings could also be to for a ST look, with a lot of them not being kept in any capacity.  Given the quality of some of these players, that is a likely outcome for them. 

How aggressively they promote or whether or not there are players worth promoting?

I think some of these MiLB signings are just for spring training looks.  Maybe some are retained in Toledo just to fill holes.

I have not been around much lately. Have they given up on "trying to win it all?"   As presently constructed this team seems to have exhausted that possibility numerous times. Are they trying to pair down expenses and make the roster younger so the club is more attractive to new ownership?  This may already have been discussed and resolved but picking through thousands of posts to see if it has been resolved seems tedious. Thank you. 

It seems the Tigers off season plan has begun to mimic my retirement plans: Buy a bunch of lottery tickets and hope one of them hits.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IdahoBert said:

I have not been around much lately. Have they given up on "trying to win it all?"   As presently constructed this team seems to have exhausted that possibility numerous times. Are they trying to pair down expenses and make the roster younger so the club is more attractive to new ownership?  This may already have been discussed and resolved but picking through thousands of posts to see if it has been resolved seems tedious. Thank you. 

Seaons's Greeting Bert!

I think that ten years into the stars and scrubs program they have realized they want to start looking for an different kind of player. Unfortunately they are finding out that they are about the last team to get that particular buffet and pickings are pretty slim.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I'm trying to be more optimistic about Jones. :classic:

Moya vs Collins will be the most interesting call I think. To me Collins grades out as your run of the mill AAAA or replacement level player. You can plug him and he won't be a black hole but he's not going to win any games for you either - you know what you have there. I suppose that may make him more expendable as you can pick up guys like that on the waiver wire all season long. Moya remains more unpredictable. Early last season in Toledo he looked like he was working on cutting down his Ks but his power seemed to disappear. Then it looked like he was back to his old approach and he finished with a semi-reasonable 25% K rate and 20 HR. (+ 5 in Det for a total 25, which is nice for sure). Unfortunately, while the power was there, nothing else seemed to translate when he was called up as he K'd 38 times in 100 AB. If he were a plus fielder maybe you could stick a guy who gives you 20HR and 200K in the 7 spot, but I'm just not optimistic about him. He's basically a one tool guy in a league and team looking for multi-dimensional players.

I get this. But for a bench player I'm ok with a one dimensional player. If JD were traded, I'd probably prefer Collins as his replacement. 

50 minutes ago, BoomGaspar said:

Garbage like lousy players, or like actual garbage?

They got one lousy fringe minor leaguer.  

55 minutes ago, Casimir said:

How aggressively they promote or whether or not there are players worth promoting?

Personally, I don't see a lot of room for additional fodder, based upon how I expect assignments to come down.

Toledo Erie
Catcher Hicks Greiner
1B Ficociello Hinkle
2B Infante Castro
SS Diaz Simcox
3B Cox Eaves
CF Bernard Kivett
LF Krizan Stewart
RF Presley Gerber
Bench Gonzalez A Green
Bench Nunez Jones
Bench McVaney Salgado
Bench Harrell  

SP Farmer Alexander
SP Saupold Lewicki
SP Jaye Ladwig
SP Turley Thompson
SP    
RP Jiminez Ravenelle
RP Ferrell Kubitza
RP VerHagen Alaniz
RP Bell  
RP Voelker  
RP Molleken  
RP Kensing  

Edit: I guess I could have put J Jones at CF in Toledo, and pushed back Bernard (or Harrell) and Kivett as well. 

16 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Seaons's Greeting Bert!

I think that ten years into the stars and scrubs program they have realized they want to start looking for an different kind of player. Unfortunately they are finding out that they are about the last team to get that particular buffet and pickings are pretty slim.

Thx. So they're not trimming down just to sell? Ilitch is the devil I know instead of the one I don't know. 

27 minutes ago, ballmich said:

Personally, I don't see a lot of room for additional fodder, based upon how I expect assignments to come down.

Toledo Erie
Catcher Hicks Greiner
1B Ficociello Hinkle
2B Infante Castro
SS Diaz Simcox
3B Cox Eaves
CF Bernard Kivett
LF Krizan Stewart
RF Presley Gerber
Bench Gonzalez A Green
Bench Nunez Jones
Bench McVaney Salgado
Bench Harrell  

SP Farmer Alexander
SP Saupold Lewicki
SP Jaye Ladwig
SP Turley Thompson
SP    
RP Jiminez Ravenelle
RP Ferrell Kubitza
RP VerHagen Alaniz
RP Bell  
RP Voelker  
RP Molleken  
RP Kensing  

Edit: I guess I could have put J Jones at CF in Toledo, and pushed back Bernard (or Harrell) and Kivett as well. 

Wynton Bernard is not in the org anymore. 

1 hour ago, Shelton said:

Wynton Bernard is not in the org anymore. 

Too bad, he could have started in CF for the Tigers

5 hours ago, ballmich said:

Toledo Erie
Catcher Hicks Greiner
1B Ficociello Hinkle
2B Infante Castro
SS Diaz Simcox
3B Cox Eaves
CF Bernard Kivett
LF Krizan Stewart
RF Presley Gerber
Bench Gonzalez A Green
Bench Nunez Jones
Bench McVaney Salgado
Bench Harrell  

SP Farmer Alexander
SP Saupold Lewicki
SP Jaye Ladwig
SP Turley Thompson
SP    
RP Jiminez Ravenelle
RP Ferrell Kubitza
RP VerHagen Alaniz
RP Bell  
RP Voelker  
RP Molleken  
RP Kensing  

This Toledo roster is horrible.

1 hour ago, ballmich said:

Having lost out on Randy Smith to some Japanese team, this offseason went from bad to worse. 

Bravo.

Edwin Encarnacion to Cleveland. I predicted it somewhere in this thread, but I ain't looking for it.

13 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Edwin Encarnacion to Cleveland. I predicted it somewhere in this thread, but I ain't looking for it.

65M....3 years plus an option. For a guy that is 34 and probably on juice. 

Tigers didn't need this guy going to the Central. Not that we are going to be terribly competitive anyway. 

12 minutes ago, Casimir said:

so Napoli, Crisp and Rajai gone, Encarnacion in and Gomes and Brantley back. 

Just now, stanpapi said:

65M....3 years plus an option. For a guy that is 34 and probably on juice. 

Tigers didn't need this guy going to the Central. Not that we are going to be terribly competitive anyway. 

Wow, I didn't realize it was such a high average annual salary.  That seems like a bit much.

Deal is also not believed to include an opt out. That could get interesting for the Tribe in the later part of the deal. 

Something is very strange about this deal and the fact that no one would offer him more than 3/65. He's been one of the most consistent and productive power hitters in the game. What gives? I don't think this really changes the Indians much, honestly. He won't hit a ton more HRs than Napoli did, though he is obviously a better overall hitter. But it's not going to win them 5 more games or something.

7 minutes ago, VaBengal said:

Something is very strange about this deal and the fact that no one would offer him more than 3/65. He's been one of the most consistent and productive power hitters in the game. What gives? I don't think this really changes the Indians much, honestly. He won't hit a ton more HRs than Napoli did, though he is obviously a better overall hitter. But it's not going to win them 5 more games or something.

Well, 9 more home runs and 26 more RBI, based on last year's numbers. That might win them 8-10 more games.....

10 minutes ago, stanpapi said:

Well, 9 more home runs and 26 more RBI, based on last year's numbers. That might win them 8-10 more games.....

Right, because every time a player homers, he adds a win