Sydney_Fife

2016 Offseason

Free agents: Salty, Aybar 

Club options: Maybin, K Rod

Everybody returns basically. They have an option on Ausmus too. 

I think JD remains a prime trade candidate. They have to get something for him before he hits free agency. They also need to get more left handed hitting and speed in their lineup. 

I would like to see an upgrade at catcher. I know he's a couple years out but has anyone seen Shane Zeile play? Opinions?

25 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

I think JD remains a prime trade candidate. They have to get something for him before he hits free agency. They also need to get more left handed hitting and speed in their lineup. 

Agree on the need for upgrade with more speed. Have wanted to see this for a while.

26 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Yeah -  I'd be on board for exploring what they could net from a JD trade.

JD should of been traded a year and a half ago like i wanted.  Now they have to settle for less, but will still get a solid return for him. 

I put Vmart out there to see if any AL team will give something decent for him.  If yes, then deal him.  Maybe BOS will take him back.

If I had to chose, I would prefer to keep JD over Upton.  If money is the issue, than maybe we can deal Upton and use money saved to extend JD. 

31 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yeah -  I'd be on board for exploring what they could net from a JD trade.

They would need to get something substantial for him,  because he is a damn good hitter.  I expect them to try to extend him in part because he is supposedly Al Avila's baby.  The tricky part is Upton.  If they knew he was going to opt out, it would be a lot easier to extend JD.  

4 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

They would need to get something substantial for him,  because he is a damn good hitter.  I expect them to try to extend him in part because he is supposedly Al Avila's baby.  The tricky part is Upton.  If they knew he was going to opt out, it would be a lot easier to extend JD.  

Yeah.  I have a hard time believing he won't opt out.  I actually think he could be dealt fairly easy if we wanted to unload the contract this offseason and extend JD before he his the market.  Cespedes is going to get paid.  After that, I think Upton's deal will look good compared to what Bautista and Trumbo are asking.  Trumbo's track record is sketchy and Bautista is coming off a down year and not getting any younger.  

Not a lot of good free agent bats available this offseason, which makes JD more attractive.  If we could a high OBP OF in return, or separately to replace him, I'd consider moving him.  However, we need a good young starting pitcher in return--can't count on everyone we have right now.  

I'd be knocking on AZ's door, unless they purge that front office.  They have proven to inept, and I'd buy low on Shelby Miller.  Not sure what else they have.

47 minutes ago, MDMAzing said:

I put Vmart out there to see if any AL team will give something decent for him.  If yes, then deal him.  Maybe BOS will take him back.

I'd be shocked to see them float his name out there, but I'd also be for it.  I just don't know what they'd be able to get in return.

I wish they'd use that DH slot as a semi day off for the regulars and have a utility player with a decent stick that could play several positions defensively well enough to move around the diamond a bit.  Those guys don't grow on trees, sure.  And the Tigers aren't an organization that dazzles with depth to begin with.

I don't think anybody is taking V-Mart at this point.  But it's worth a try I guess.  If we do keep him, I would like to see him used more as a pinch hitter and less as an everyday DH.  

40 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

If Upton has a more standard Upton year next season, he'll be all but guaranteed to opt IMO.

1 hour ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Free agents: Salty, Aybar 

Club options: Maybin, K Rod

Everybody returns basically. They have an option on Ausmus too. 

I can see them letting Saltalamacchia and Aybar go.

I can see them picking the options on Maybin and Rodriguez.

My guess is they don't pick up the option on Ausmus.  I have no idea who they go after.  Maybe someone unexpectedly gets removed and they become the top target.  I'm guessing some bench coaches are going to be on the list (like a Dave Martinez) or someone out of the game currently (like Bud Black).  There were the rumblings when McClendon was brought back, but I don't think it's him.  Anyone think it might be someone already on the staff?

4 minutes ago, Hart said:

I don't think anybody is taking V-Mart at this point.  But it's worth a try I guess.  If we do keep him, I would like to see him used more as a pinch hitter and less as an everyday DH.  

I completely disagree.  If he's still around, he's the DH, pure and simple.  I'd like to see him lowered in the lineup.  I think his legs are really becoming a liability.  But they aren't gong to add someone to the payroll that bumps MartinezV to PH and there isn't anyone already on the payroll that's going to do that.

15 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I wish they'd use that DH slot as a semi day off for the regulars

Kinsler and Cabrera are going to start needing days off, though Cabrera throughout his career has been a pretty poor DH. Maybe with Miguel you just have to start giving him a day off every 20 games or so. Or maybe you make a deal with him that you'll let him go 159 again if he keeps he keeps up his conditioning up - i.e. his weight down.......

1 hour ago, 1776 said:

Could Jacoby Jones play short? I would look at this. 

Can Jacoby Jones hit in the majors (or even AAA pitching)?  Jury's still out on him even being as good as Iglesias with the bat.

This team has no reason to trade JD Martinez, a relatively young centerpiece to our lineup.  We don't have anyone to replace him with, so trading him would be creating one hole to plug another.

I don't see any major moves.  This team will contend next year with the young pitching coming into its own.

29 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Kinsler and Cabrera are going to start needing days off, though Cabrera throughout his career has been a pretty poor DH. Maybe with Miguel you just have to start giving him a day off every 20 games or so. Or maybe you make a deal with him that you'll let him go 159 again if he keeps he keeps up his conditioning up - i.e. his weight down.......

Its not just the guys with seniority.  Normal wear and tear throughout a season catches up with lots of players.

It would be nice to see a more sveltier Cabrera show up to Lakeland in 4 1/2 months.

4 1/2 months.  Good grief, that sucks.

43 minutes ago, Hart said:

For the money he's getting, he'll either be playing everyday or on the DL.

49 minutes ago, Hart said:

There's no way the Tigers take a guy with an .828 OPS and a 123 OPS+ and turn him into a pinch hitter.

3 minutes ago, Casimir said:

Its not just the guys with seniority.  Normal wear and tear throughout a season catches up with lots of players.

It would be nice to see a more sveltier Cabrera show up to Lakeland in 4 1/2 months.

4 1/2 months.  Good grief, that sucks.

I also would like to see a slimmer Upton.  He really has lost a lot of athleticism for a guy not even 30.  

5 minutes ago, TheCouga said:

There's no way the Tigers take a guy with an .828 OPS and a 123 OPS+ and turn him into a pinch hitter.

but you may reach a point where you can get 850 OPS from him in 450 PA but only 700 OPS in 600 PA.